Best of 2005
‘Tis the season to evaluate, to draw conclusions, and to make various “Best of” lists. A group of bloggers conspired to do precisely that and to each come up with a list Best of 2005 products. Self-confessed perfume-addict that I am, my list will be dedicated to perfume and nothing but perfume. The following are the fragrances that I came to love, worship, and adore in 2005, also known as My 2005 Holy Grails (in alphabetical order):
1. Ambre Narguile by Hermes. The epitome of a comfort scent, this is a sweet, rich, smoky treat that smells of amber, apples, pipe tobacco, cinnamon, and all things wonderful.
2. Ambre Russe by Parfum d’Empire. The rich, robust, and surprisingly wearable smell of Tsarist Russia, with every stereotypically Russian note thrown in for good measure. Vodka, champagne, amber, leather, honey... you name it, it’s here, and I love it.
3. Attrape-Coeur by Guerlain. Heartbreakingly exquisite and very exclusive woody-floral-oriental blend. Airy, soft, and golden, this is a Heart-Catcher indeed.
4. Bois des Iles by Chanel. Perhaps the Holiest of my Holy Grail, Bois des Iles is the proof that wood can be feminine, warm and sensual. A veritable magical elixir, Bois des Iles is an olfactory equivalent of liquid gold.
5. Bois des Paradis by Parfums Delrae. One of the most beautiful scents ever created, this is a seamless, magical harmony, a luscious, sensual and irresistible fragrance of the Garden of Eden.
6. Collection by Escada. My comfort scent extraordinaire; whenever I am cold, tired and miserable, I put on some Collection and instantly I am soothed and warmed by its sweet, smoky, velvety aroma.
7. Féminité du Bois by Shiseido. Fruity, woody and spicy, this a scent in which cedar, my favorite note, shows its warm, extremely sensual side. A hearty scent, darkly sweet and robust, it is tied up with Bois des Iles for the title of The Holiest Holy Grail.
8. Fifi by Fifi Chachnil. A stunning fragrance, sexy and full of character, unconventional, playful and très féminin ; Fifi tops the list of my favorite "pinup scents".
9. Or des Indes by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. The soft spiciness of this warm, smooth scent is soothing and comforting. This is a rather underappreciated scent that I never want to be without.
10. Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone. A fruity scent that is dry, woody and spicy. This is a fragrance that miraculously manages to be dark and transparent all at the same time.
The honorable mention also goes to the following fragrances I enjoyed in 2005: Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez; Bois et Fruits, Bois Oriental, Bois et Musc, and Daim Blond by Serge Lutens; Le Parfum de Therese and Noir Epices by Frederic Malle; Organza Indecence by Givenchy; Talco Delicato by i Profumi di Firenze; Trouble by Boucheron, Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estee Lauder.
To read other Best of 2005 lists, please use the links below:
*The Best of 2005 graphic is by Katie (Scentzilla!). The painting is Holy Grail by Rossetti.