Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, July 02, 2007

Perfume Review: Montale Aoud Roses Petals

I have new love. My love smells "like a red, red rose, that's newly sprung in June", like golden spices, like dark resins and woods. It smells warm, like passion, and sharp, like implacable fate. There is sweetness in my love that makes it almost innocent. And there is sensuality in it that is practically animal, untamed.

I was going to break my love down into little details for you, to describe its almost fruity top notes of honeyed petals, its heart, which is like dark-red velvet of roses adorned with the gold thread of saffron, its sultry, nocturnal base of amber and woods, and the cruel allure of its oud that binds all other notes together like a brutal and passionate black cord. But I felt that my humble, prosaic analysis could not possibly do justice to the incredible beauty of my new love.

Instead I decided to tell you how it makes me feel. It makes me feel comforted and complete yet strangely perturbed. Its beauty is so poignant, it breaks my heart. It stirs a longing in me that I cannot properly identify. Kahlil Gibran's words come closest to describing what it is that my new love makes me want:
To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate love's ecstasy;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise on your lips.
Aoud Roses Petals has notes of roses, geranium, amber, teak, kayak and cedar woods, gurgum and saffron. It is available at Suravi, $150.00-$210.00, with a 10% discount and free shipping for the members of Makeupalley and Basenotes.

The painting is Heaven's Embrace by Laurie Blank, from onessimofineart.com.

33 Comments:

Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Yumm...You have just described my first intensely passionate and illicit love affair......I must find some of this scent, to enjoy that glorious pulsing of desire, pleasure,passion and just a little pain....(Deep, heavy, delicious sigh.....)

10:32 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Oh dear. This could be very bad. Very bad indeed.

There are way too many of these only a mile or so away- and now you tell me that the nice people at Suravi give a discount? Oy...

11:05 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, you do NOT play fair! I have never read such an enticing review of a perfume! Now I must HAFF EET at all costs! :-D

Seriously, the combination of roses, saffron, resins and oud - I can only imagine how delicious it is. And thanks for the Kahlil Gibran, I needed that today!

2:22 AM EDT  
Blogger Divina said...

I love this one as well Marina :) GREAT review!

4:28 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Montale Aouds are so wonderful, thanks for the Aoud Roses Petals review. If I did not already have Black Aoud, I'd be sending away to Suravi...big sigh...

5:52 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Do you think the people at Montale might accept a first born child or something along those lines in lieu of cash payment? It's really not good how many of their ouds I feel I must have in order to continue existence on this planet.

7:30 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

I am so glad you love this one, too! It's my favorite Montale. Thanks you for the poem.

7:46 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Beth,
I am glad you liked the description :-)

7:49 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Is Suravi a mile away from you or do you mean Luckyscent? I wonder if Luckyscent carries this one too, offline.

7:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Flora,
Thank you! :-) I must HAFF EET too :-)

7:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Divina,
Thank you! :-)

7:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

E,
But they are so different...maybe you still need to send to Suravi...just saying :-)

7:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I asked, and no, they won't accept such payment. Nor do they take kidneys. *sigh*

7:52 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
Thank you so much for introducing me to this one. It is most definitely my favorite rose Montale now.

7:52 AM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

Marina, that Gibran poem is wonderful. Goodness knows we don't have enough poetry in our lives and even in small amounts they can heal the soul.

I loved this one as well and I think a guy could get away with this one. It is sublime.

I have been contemplating buying Aoud Lime but can't seem to justify the price at the moment even with Suravi's (Vijay's) dangling carrot!

Lovely review!!!

11:03 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like true love, M! I have not tried this one, but in general, I like the Montale Aouds but do not love them. Don't know why since they are quite lovely.

11:05 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Kelley,
I think a man can (and should) totally wear this rose aoud, and all others.

11:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
I liked but didn't love them before either. And look what happened to me :-P

11:07 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

*WANT*

11:13 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
Have you tried it? If not, you can do so you know where and you know when :-) And then we both will have to get bottles, cuz you are going to love it.

11:15 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I have a tiny sample. I do like it a lot but am totally lemming it after your review. Also helps I now have Black Oud, so off to the next Montale. :) I want the small size, though. They probably won't have it you know where.

11:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
Nah, they probably won't. Suravi might have it in 50ml bottles.

11:45 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Marina, how well you've captured the passion that perfume can stir. My husband loves this one on me (from a sample, not a bottle). But the rose makes itself very strongly felt all the way through, and I'm a bit bothered by that. I must try it again.

12:24 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Maria,
I agree. This one features perhaps the most prominent roses, among all Montale rose aouds. But because aoud is so strongly present on me here, the rosiness doesn't bother me at all.

12:26 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marina is ga-ga; I love her like that.

1:30 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
Yes, I am ga-ga indeed :-)

1:34 PM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

I love it too, but I think my love pales next to yours! But certainly miss it next to the mess of nasties I'm wearing today :-)

2:03 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
:-) I'd love to know what scents you are wearing today :-)

2:15 PM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

A whole slew of celeb scents. Need I say more?

8:49 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
No. Say no more :-) Thank you for doing it so we don't have to :-)

8:52 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

would you say its feminine? or lets say Gourmand sweet?

2:25 PM EDT  
Blogger Jenson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:27 PM EDT  
Blogger Jenson said...

isit gourmand sweet? isit feminine....? how do you compare it with Black Aoud interms of sweetness?

2:28 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home