Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, April 01, 2010

How Green Was My Valley Part Deux: Mirra Lux Veil

By Tom

This one is a stumper. Sent to me by a benefactress, it practically defies googling. Mirra Lux is apparently a Russian line of skin care (and considering the skin of most Russians I know I might want underground tanks of the stuff) that has a few scents. Veil is their symphony in.... celery.

Most of us look at celery as something taking up space at the salad bar, something we eat as penance since it's "negative calories" or if you're older as a delivery system of peanut butter in your lunch box.

It wouldn't shock me were I told that Christopher Brosius had something to do with this, although lightened by citrus and I think mint this is celery: the slightly aggressive green of the leaves and the white smell of the bulb with just a touch of the rooty earth.

Imagine Mandarine Mandarin as your car. It's stolen and days later you're told it's been discovered, stripped. The wheels, stereo, engine and maybe the paint are gone and all you're left with is the shell of the car, perhaps it's purest form as a piece of design. Veil is that pared down.

I like it a lot and have no idea where you can get it or for how much. Perhaps my benefactress can weigh in? Whoda thunk I'd embrace the crudite?

Image source, organicpassion.com

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous lady jane grey said...

Tom, in usual your reviews make me want to try the perfume. I think this is the first time ever I'll quit. (And it's not your fault, it's the celery...)

3:08 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Jane-

I know, there are people who cringe at the "C" word. Oddly, I'm not one of them. But since I have no idea where to get this I won't sweat not being able to.

5:11 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Tom, I like celery to eat, and in perfume as a note, but the whole shebang? Very odd!

11:49 PM EDT  
Blogger Martha said...

I love Burning Leaves, and Dzing!, and Garage, and Tar, and Dry Clean, and the gasoline note in Tubereuse Criminelle, and all the civet I can get my paws on.

But _celery_? I'm frightened.

12:46 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

It is odd. It's also really lovely! (it ain't all celery)

1:06 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

ChickenFreak-

I love your list! Since I love all those can I suggest that the crudite plate you might like?

1:07 AM EDT  
Anonymous Marian said...

I guess you could wear it to the farmer's market, or possibly in the company of people who drink Bloody Marys.

4:07 AM EDT  
Anonymous Safran said...

Thank you for the review, it sounds absoluted exciting! I just thought the other day, why doesn't anyone do a celery fragrance? The smell, especially of the almost white parts is so great. I am glad, somebody wasn't afraid of it and did it.

5:23 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marian-

Funny! Of course I loves me some Bloody Marys..

6:37 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

safran-

I just wish I could tell you where to get it!

6:38 PM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

Yum. I love this concept -- it sounds fresh without the dreaded, usual execution of "fresh."

11:39 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, "embrace the crudite, people!" How can you not, with a review like that?!

Tom, I know you're a fan of Annick Goutal (as am I) but I do get a distinct celery SALT note from Gardenia Passion and Passion. (I also get it in some vintage perfumes, like Quadrille, and had assumed it was a chypre-gone-bad note until I smelled it in the Goutals, too). I wish I knew what it was, so I can avoid it! I wonder if you smell it, too, and if you know what it is? Anyway, thanks for another review that made me smile. - Emma

7:25 AM EDT  
Blogger Katherine said...

OMG, a black cat perfume!!! Gotta try it. These sound really neat! Thanks for the rec :)

2:52 PM EDT  
Anonymous Term Papers said...

Such a nice post, it is really interesting, want to admire you, you are really a hard worker guy, Thanks.

7:21 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mirra Lux could be imported :)
I have some of its perfumes in my wardrobe specially in case of host foreigners to come :)
I could help you, if you are still interested.
By the way, it`s not the only good perfume from the brand.
Sergey AKA moon_fish

6:08 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home