Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Chant du Coeur by Shiseido


I am obsessed with Shiseido fragrances. Not with those readily available in the States, mind you, like new Zen, Vocalize, or Energizing and Relaxing. Oh no, I am longing for the ones only sold in Japan. It is sickness really, this hunt for perfumes I theoretically cannot have. Thanks to the kindness of other perfume addicts and to the wonders of eBay, I have been able to try and obtain several. Some of them were definitely worth the obsession and the effort to get them; Chant du Coeur is one of those lucky finds. Created for Shiseido by Edouard Flechier, the nose behind Christian Dior Poison, Frederic Malle Lys Méditerranée and Une Rose, Chant du Coeur is described as “a song born from the Earth’s heart”. The Ginko Leaf design of the bottle, conceived by Angela Cummings, represents “closeness to nature”.

Chant du Coeur is one of those smooth blends where not a single note stands out and where all notes appear at once and stay together till the end, without making the fragrance either linear or busy. Chant du Coeur is like a precious stone with its many facets; the light falling on the gem illuminates one side, then another, then perhaps several at ones. Chant du Coeur has the same multifaceted appearance; one moment spring-like mimosa is highlighted, another moment rose suddenly comes alive with its sweet, summery aroma, at times, the green hyacinth is quite apparent…all notes are blended seamlessly into a fresh, sunny harmony. Chant du Coeur is not a scent of a well-tended, lush garden with pampered, heady blossoms. These are wild flowers, born without any human interference, indeed “from the Earth’s heart”. I imagine them growing on a hilltop somewhere, overlooking the wide expanse of the sea and the sky.

As far as I know (and I may be mistaken, because what scarce information is available about Shiseido’s non-export scents, is mostly in Japanese, the language I do not know), Chant du Coeur is not simply a Japan-only scent, it has also been discontinued. It does sometime appear on eBay and goes for $25.00 - $40.00, depending on your luck and/or cunning bidding strategy.

*The painting is Expectations by Christophe Vacher.

17 Comments:

Blogger marchlion said...

Someone :-) sent me some vials of various Shiseido from that Japanese seller on the Bay... they were all delicious and spring-y. I keep trying to keep my hands off them until it warms up a bit. FYI the Saso (the one with the Russian Olive flower in it) definitely hits the right floral note in the drydown. You've added another to the list!

8:39 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Strangely that Someone :-) is not responsible for this one...hmmm...that's strange...

Someone :-)also send me various Shisesio samples and among them Saso. I really really liked it. Not familiar with Russian Olive flower, but it smelled good!

9:11 AM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

M, curious as to why so many of these are Japan-only. Do you find that they are markedly different from Shiseido's releases for the western market?

10:52 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

R, I honestly don't know. There are lots of them only availabe in Japan. They don't smell much different from anything we get. I mean, they are not much lighter, Saso for example is quite strong, Chant du Coeur is not shy either. So I don't know and would like to know as well.

10:54 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

I am always looking at Shisedio scents on ebay and salivating. There is one Japanese seller that has lots of swoon-worthy scents...Is the new one Rosarium? No, it seems to me it had another name...There is also Blue Rose, which sounds so beautiful *sigh*

1:05 PM EST  
Blogger risa said...

*cry* want! want! you have started yet another lemming, dear M!

9:09 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Risa,
Not to be an enabler or anything, ...but I just saw two of these offered on eBay (not affiliated). Just sayin' :-D

10:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
It is truly lovely. As I said to Risa, I just saw two NIB Chant du Coeurs on everyone's favorite auction site, some French seller is offering them, verrrry cheap.

10:45 PM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

Okay, I'm bidding on the second one of those, (currently no bid) will check with P and let her know, don't want her bidding against me!

8:33 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Yes, I would check with P first. :-) I would be wary of bidding against her. ♥

10:24 AM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

M, how funny would that be?!? I had a really hard time finding it BTW, I need P to give me a worldwide search tutorial. Gak -- still Barf Central over here. Friend took pity and coming by to walk dog. There's probably a Black Skull sign staked to the door. Hope it doesn't scare the mailman off, I'm waiting for some stuff! Shiseido has red, white, blue rose on that guy's store on the Bay.

1:53 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Oh, I am sorry, what happened?

2:59 PM EST  
Blogger risa said...

oddly enough, i cannot find them on ebay! i will keep trying :)

1:23 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

They might have ended...if not, I usually search for Shiseido stuff this way:
advanced search- available to USA

Hope this helps!

1:30 PM EST  
Blogger risa said...

that did it!! thank you SO much!

3:37 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hoping someone can help with this: I had a Shiseido perfume (or edt, I don't know) in the 80's that was in a purple bottle, called Miyako Mikasa or something like that. My guitar teacher called it an aphrodesiac scent. It was the most amazingly clean floral scent, very girly. Does anyone remember it, know the correct name and or how I can get it? If so, please email: almightyred1@yahoo.com
I'd really appreciate it.

10:53 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Murasaki" Shiseido's perfume from the 80s. Means purple and it came in a clear bottle with a purple cap. Still available in very small amounts online. Google the name. Good luck!!!

6:15 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home