Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Side B: Bleu de Chanel and Mark Jacobs Bang

By Tom

What better way to celebrate Labor day than wandering around the mall?

Well, there are lots of them, but part of the day I wandered around the mall anyway. The mall was the Beverly Center, which is a 20 minute stroll from my hovel in Beverly Hills' glamorous "Industrial Triangle". I was there to see the new iPod line- not that I was going to buy one since I already have two that I don't use much since I have an iPhone. I was sadly thwarted in this pursuit so onward I wandered.

Bloomingdales had both of these new releases, which I am perhaps the last person to smell in the blogosphere.

Bleu de Chanel is listed at Bloomingdales website as a "woody aromatic" with "a procotave blend of citrus and woods" and admonishes us to "Be unexpected" Sadly the juice doesn't take it's own advice. The square blue bottle dispenses rather square blue liquid that takes the idea of "blue" in it's most literal form. Yes, the dreaded aquatic. It's so clean, so fresh, so stridently inoffensive that frankly the name should be "Blah". Or perhaps "Bleech" $59 for 1.7oz and $79 for 3.4.

Marc Jacobs Bang is listed (in all caps) as "FREE AND ELECTRIFYING, SEXY AND ALLURING" and "FRESH, PEPPERY AND WOODY". It is. It does have that "fresh" aspect to it but the pepper and woods keep the seashore aspects to a minimum, just a light metallic shimmer. The bottle looks like something from the "Fortress of Solitude" set in "Superman 2" but I can't fault the scent, it's very nice. I would caution to go steadily, the first couple of house were ALL CAPS on me- the one spray in the crook of my elbow was throwing massive sillage until it calmed. Not for the over-applier... $55 for 1.7oz and $75 for 3.4.

Reminder- while the draw for the samples is closed, the deal offering all PST readers an introductory discount of 10% off their first order at Indiescents is still open. Just enter “PST” at checkout. Offer is good until September 30th.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

Tom, I don't think everyone has actually smelled Bang, they were just all talking about it because of the crazy ads! Good to know it's at least decent, I must try. (Over-apply? MOI? Oh, never!)

The Bleu de Chanel just sounds depressing - the other kind of blue. I don't care if it's a Chanel, it's still an aquatic dammit, but why? It's not as though there is a severe shortage of those around!

12:13 AM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

I love pepper, so I am giving Bang a whirl, but Lord have mercy that ad....he looks like he's all buttered up on a piece of tin foil, waiting to be popped into the oven. I have clearly reached the Middle Aged Fuddy Duddy stage of life.

12:08 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

Bang is nice, and a good price. Bleu is about as Chanel as, I don't know what.

11:29 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tammy-

He's buttered up for some reason...

DId I write that?

11:30 PM EDT  
Blogger Miami Glamour said...

Hey....Great Blog

I really like this blog its very interesting

You can check out mine too and you can leave your comments there, we also have a page where you can find the perfect frangrance! on the page we have reviews and if you like any product you can share it on facebook!

http://www.glamourfragrances.com/

http://glamourfragrances.blogspot.com/

Thank you!

11:08 AM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

Tom, you rascal, to me he looks to be buttered up past the point of being able to hold on to, which rather takes the fun out of it, no?

I suppose there are blogs other than this one better suited to this conversation, so I'll hush now!

9:22 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tammy-

:-)

12:10 AM EDT  
Anonymous Claudia0219 said...

LOL.....thats a "Bang" of a picture...i'd like to smell that...i think my eyes fell out of my head.....trying to compose myself.

1:22 AM EDT  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Tom,

You're not the last person in the blogosphere to smell these. I am! Glad to see you're still at it!

1:34 PM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

Oh, the Bang ad! So hilarious! The funniest thing is that the model looks an awful lot like my obstetrician... which just CANNOT be right.

I want to try the Bang! It sounds like my hubby's cup of tea, only he's not such an all caps guy. But then, he's not an over-applier, either... it might work out

12:35 AM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

Oh! My dear Lord! Is Mark Jacobs his own model there? No idea that my ob looked so much like him, lol!

12:39 AM EDT  
Anonymous Maison Parfum said...

This is cool.. Iphone to perfume.. But anyway I like this type of perfume "Marc Jacobs Bang" probably this perfume is good couple..

5:07 AM EDT  
Anonymous Forget Flowers said...

Bleu de Chanel is a tribute to the men’s freedom.

10:44 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly think Bleu should have been marketed to the female market. Yes it has the classic man's cologne opener of lavender and citrus but that completely dissipates on me and it becomes a lovely spicy, woody fougere with excellent sillage and lasting power. It's not wildly original, but Amouage has been criticized for the same thing. For me, what is wildly original these days is something made with truly high quality ingredients and beautifully blended. Yup, these days that IS original. P.S. I get no aquatic in this at all. Female skin perhaps?

8:55 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home