Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Briefly- Opus Oils Vampira: Moon Garden

By Tom

Sorry, this one's going to be short. I'm helping a friend move to NYC and frankly on this Sunday night I am wiped.
Opus Oils is the Hollywood-based lair of perfumer Kedra Hart, where her winking, gothy packaging contains some really lovely scents. The latest of which is the first in a series that's a tribute to Z-list horror movie actress and TV host Vampira (see "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and the Tim Burton film "Ed Wood" for an explanation) called "Moon Garden". Seeing that it's about Vampira, and comes in a coffin-shaped flask, you might be expecting something camp. It's not. It's lovely: contemplative and almost melancholy. It's the olfactory retreat of a woman who might even be a fine actress but has to pay the bills by being a camp icon: quietly lovely jasmine and orange blossom with a touch of tarragon and clove, wormwood and a hint of civet to give it some (if you'll pardon the expression), bite.

I don't know specifically about the price of the new perfume, but others in the coffin-shaped vials are $75 for 1oz of oil and $150 for 4oz at The Opus Oil website

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

Sounds great to me! I like a nice melancholy floral.

2:28 AM EDT  
Blogger Tama said...

I'm a big fan of several Opus scents - this one sounds lovely. I will have to get a sample when I finally order a bottle of something (Jitterbug or Voodoo? Hmmm).

I love your description - who knows what kind of actress Vampira was or could have been?

2:29 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

I think there are several of hers that you would enjoy..

4:25 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tama-

Jitterbug and Voodoo are a hard choice!

4:26 PM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

How much orange blossom are we talkin', here? It generally doesn't like me much. It and tuberose tend to choke me, sort of catch at the back of my throat.

10:29 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tammy-

The orange blossom is just a touch. There's nothing about this one that screams at all. They do samples so you can try it before you commit.

10:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Jitterbug Perfumer said...

Thanks for the fun review Tom!
So glad that you enjoyed sniffing
VAMPIRA ~ Moon Garden Perfume!

A little background, for anyone who is interested; The Vampira Perfumes are a collaboration project with Jonny Coffin of Coffin Case (Rock n' Roll Lifestyle Brand)www.coffincase.com

The Perfume has not been officially released yet - stay tuned for the official launch details... Samples are available please contact opusoils@msn.com for details.

11:12 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Kedra-

Funny that you would write in just as I was wearing "Dirty Sexy Wilde" as my evening scent..

I might need Moon Garden for myself..

11:50 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home