Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Etro Musk, Anya's Garden Kewdra (musk) and Mona di Orio Musk

By Tom

Are you a nosy person? I'm normally not- at your house I'm not going to rifle your drawers, or ramble through your medicine cabinet, or even read letters you left on your kitchen table. But if your perfume collection is out on your bureau on the way to the bathroom (and you've asked me to drive 30 miles roundtrip to feed your cats) I'm going to give a glance on the way out. Oh all right and take a sniff. I'm a bad person.

My friend had Etro Musk out on her bureau (among other things, being one of us but we overlap a lot.) Reviewers on Basenotes dismiss it, but I really liked it. It's a skin scent, with whispers of the bone-dry woodiness that makes up scents like Chene and a touch of citrus peel. If you were looking for something in the clean-skin line and wanted woody as opposed to dry-cleaned you would do well to look here.

Anya's Garden is a company that I can't believe I haven't reviewed before (is the search function on Blogspot wonky?) My Scent Twin quoted the perfumer as stating it's "Kama Sutra in a bottle" and agreeing. I am pained to type this but either I am ansomic to it or I just suck the life out of it, but I'm not getting fireworks. It's lovely, it's heartbreakingly sensual, it's the memory of a long ago love affair in a bottle. Even twins aren't identical I guess (but I am the older twin)

I did get a chance to try the new Mona di Orio Musk that's soon coming and it's like a scent version of David Hamilton photographs. So innocent, so soft-focus, so very young and with this sly, knowing musk that makes it so very wrong. In a good way. It's the Mann Act with a sprayer. Unlike Ms. Dubois I have no need to try to keep my hands off children, but it will be mighty hard to keep my hands off this when it arrives...

Etro Musc is available all over the internets at various prices, I filched a sniff off my friends bureau in a moment of bad breeding.

Kewdra is availableat Anyas Garden Website, I won mine. Whoo hoo!

Mona di Orio Musk will be out soon, I was given a small sample by Luckyscent.

Image by David Hamilton.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Ann Flowers said...

I just recently discovered your blog and am so glad I did. What a sweet post!

5:36 AM EDT  
Anonymous Lee said...

Dude - you got me jonesing that Mona. I mailed the company direct but, alas, silencio. But without the mime scenario of Mulholland Drive.

8:55 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Lee- thanks; I think you'll like it!

12:13 PM EDT  
Anonymous Flora said...

Tom, I really like the Anya's Garden scents, which I have reviewed in these pages, but I have not tried her Memories of Musk project scent, and it's one that's definitely on my must-try list.

The Mona di Orio musk does not sound like "me" but it sure sounds good! And I must remember to test out the Etro next time I am in my local shop.

6:32 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

I liked the Anya's Garden a lot; it just wasn't what I expected from other reviews. I think I need a third party to sniff it on me so I can tell if it's my skin or just that I'm not smelling it.

8:10 PM EDT  
Anonymous Marian said...

"Soon" isn't soon enough! Can't wait to ry the Mona di Orio. It sounds as though it would be great for layering, too.

9:08 AM EDT  
Blogger anyasgarden said...

Hi Tom:

Perhaps you are not anosmic to it, perhaps you are used to synthetic musks. I do not use true musk in my perfume, because that is prohibited by CITES, nor do I use synth musks. I use botanicals that mimic musk a bit, and/or have a musky note of their own to just hint at skin and sexy musky scent.

9:45 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marian-

Patience..

11:04 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Anya-

It's not that, from the description I was thinking this would be fireworks. I got poetry.

I prefer poetry..

11:06 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a big KABOOM from the opening of Kewdra, but then it quickly settles down into a really lovely skin scent that I enjoy more each time I try it. I get a lot of vanilla absolute from it, too, which is one of my favorites.
-Marla

4:53 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marla-

I think I got the same thing, and I am loving it.

12:27 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home