Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Gentleman's Agreement: Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

By Tom

There are few things from over a hundred years ago that one would like to live with on a day-to-day basis: one-cylinder hand-cranked cars, ice delivery in lieu of home refrigerators, women not having the vote..

Well, actually most things from 1904 are better left to 1904.

Except Mouchoir de Monsieur. According to Robin at Now Smell This, listed notes are lavender, bergamot, verbena, rose, jasmine, neroli, fern harmony, civet, patchouli, vanilla and iris. The notes don't tell the full story: Mouchoir is incredibly suave with it's initial blast of bright citrussy lavender, smoothly running through the flowers to the civety, patchy drydown. That civet makes me advise to go steadily with the application, but frankly that applies to everything, especially for the boys.

Unlike spats, Mouchoir de Monsieur can be happily worn daily without irony. I hope Guerlain hasn't reformulated it. Chime in if they have and whether it's ruined.

I purchased my sample from the Perfumed Court.

Mouchoir de Monsieur is $71.80 for 3.4 oz at Amazon

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous March said...

AND CIVET. Hehe. Still smelled plenty civetty to me at the Guerlain flagship. I think it's fairly naughty, but I'm an animalic note magnifier for sure.

8:57 AM EDT  
Blogger Rose said...

of the things from the past that should endure and live on the clasic Guerlain's are very high on my list- and if it was in the original formulation all the better. This is so so elegant.

10:04 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

I neuter Civet quicker than a Vet after three macchiatos, so it's not such an issue for me

12:02 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Rose-

It is elegant, and like all the classic Guerlains makes the wearer feel elegant, even when you're in a t-shirt and jeans.

12:03 PM EDT  
Blogger Aimée L'Ondée said...

Hi Tom! Thanks for reviewing MdM. I am so tempted to buy a bottle, even though I compared my little sample with Dior's Eau Fraiche and found I liked the lemons and civet of the Dior more than the lavender/Guerlainade and civet of MdM. But maybe I DO need both...

9:53 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Maybe I need some Eau Fraiche!

2:48 PM EDT  
Anonymous Flora said...

I gotta remember to smell this! I keep trying to remind myself that I need to broaden my horizons with masculine scents, and this sound fab.

4:22 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

I think you would like this one a lot.

5:35 PM EDT  
Anonymous Fragrances Perfume said...

If somebody finds the thing he would like then, he think that he is the happiest person in the world!!!

6:25 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice article! Thank you! http://www.smellzgood.biz

5:40 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where can I buy in NY? the more I research classic men's fragrance, M de M comes up!

8:18 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home