Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, July 27, 2007

Perfume Stars: Summer Favorites. Part 3

Day Three of Perfume Stars: Summer Favorites is devoted to the preferred warm-weather scents and ideal holiday destinations of some of my favorite perfume experts and writers and of the wonderful boys from Made by Blog.


Chandler Burr

What are your favorite summer fragrances?

“This list is going to change constantly, not only next summer but probably in a day or two. But at the moment what comes to mind is

Tommy Girl
Light Blue
Un Jardin sur le Nil
Un Jardin en Mediterranee
Kelly Caleche
Osmanthe Yunnan
Une Fleur de Chanel
Chanel No 18
Coromandel
Pure Poison
Pleasures

OK, I've got to stop!”

What are the characteristics of your ideal summer scent?

“I actually don't believe in summer and winter scents; I think that you can and should wear anything (in the right dosage) all year. But you could argue (and I'm willing to do so) that a summer scent should be one that in some way refreshes and lightens in the summer heat. All the above do that in some way or other. The Kelly Caleche I chose because it's an astonishing scent, the lightest, purest, cleanest leather in the world, and while we think of leather as a winter scent, this one works perfectly in summer.”

What is your favorite holiday destination?

“Fire Island-- it's the best, all-American, basic, nothing fancy fun.”


Marian Bendeth, Sixth Scents

What are your favorite summer fragrances? What are the characteristics of your ideal summer scent?

“I love to emulate my surroundings, the brilliance of nature and colours that come with the hot sun in a feminine and crisp way. Of course my day and evening scents in the summer months are very different.

I love to wear "Eau de Patou" that has a brilliant citrus top with a twist of lemon, lime honeysuckle and pepper for a kick when no one expects it! I also love the crispness of Aire Loewe, a striking aldehydic green with sumptuous Galbanum and Vetiver which lifts my spirits to a fresh meadow. Other treasures include Climat, Lancome, Silences, Jacomo, Tamango, Lèonard, Charles Jourdan or Rumeur, Lanvin. All floral green notes, none of them sweet but rather dry or dew-drop. My evening tastes depend on how and with whom the evening is spent!”

What is your favorite holiday destination?

“Although I have been to some extraordinary places, I have yet to visit my dream country and city, Rio di Janiero, Brasil! I have a collection of Brasilian Bossa Nova and to listen to that wonderful music, smelling the incredible flowers and fauna at dusk, standing on Corcovado would be my dream come true.”


Michelle Krell Kydd

What are your favorite summer fragrances? What are the characteristics of your ideal summer scent?

“When it comes to summer scents one must consider climate and humidity. In the summer there is a natural inclination towards scents that refresh. We sweat more and are surrounded by temperatures which increase the volatility of fragrances. When one veers on the lighter side of scent, reapplication and fragrance layering is in order. I have three favorites I use in the summer; Slatkin’s Persian Lime Blossom and Mimosa (fragrance and shampoo), Commes de Garcons 2 (fragrance and body cream) and Annick Goutal’s Eau de Hadrien (fragrance and shampoo).”

What is your favorite holiday destination?

“I’d have to say New Orleans at Christmas time. The city’s warmth is a reprieve from eastern winters in New York and a drive through the Oaks Park, with its shimmering and intricate holiday lights, is absolutely breathtaking. I have a secret wish regarding the visual splendor of this park—that someone will bottle the emotion and images that weave through this veritable fairyland of dreams and wishes, and align it with a charity that helps New Orleans get back on her feet.”


Made by Blog

Clement Gavarry

What are your favorite summer fragrances? What are the characteristics of your ideal summer scent?

“For Women: Happy, Light Blue
For Men: Polo Blue, Unforgivable”

What is your favorite holiday destination?

“Kenya”

Laurent Le Guernec

What are your favorite summer fragrances? What are the characteristics of your ideal summer scent?

“My summer fragrance is the same as my regular fragrance, because I wear a lot of fresh fragrances. For me it is more a mood thing rather than a season thing.”

What is your favorite holiday destination?

“I love to go places where you can relax and visit at the same time, and Mexico is great for that. But my best vacations still is 3 weeks in the south of France. I'm sure there are many places like that but I haven't been there yet.”

Nobi Shioya, S-Perfume / Shaping Room

What are your favorite summer fragrances? What are the characteristics of your ideal summer scent?

“Why would I want to spoil my BO with men's fragrances? Here's how to make the ultimate men's scent for summer. Go to a boxing gym on a sizzling hot day. Inside the above-90-degree gym with closed windows, do the two-hour routine including sparing with black, Puerto Rican, and red-haired white fighters. Get the sparring partners' sweat, saliva, and blood over your body. You will feel and look like you swam in olive oil after that. Don't take a shower after, in stead, pour 2 to 3 oz. of the 2005 version of 100% Love all over yourself. You will feel sexier than Brad Pitt in Fight Club.”

What is your favorite holiday destination?

“I cannot decide on one destination... my favorite destinations will vary depending on the season, my mood, and the length of the vacation. If I have two to three weeks around Christmas and New Year's, I will stay in Big Island and hop to the other islands. If it's one week around Thanks Giving, I will go somewhere on the Atlantic coast in Mexico or Belize. For summer, two weeks in the South of France will be perfect.”

To be continued next week.

Images courtesy of Chandler Burr, Marian Bendeth, Michelle Krell Kydd, Clement Gavarry (more photos of Clement in today's post on Made by Blog), Nobi Shioya (the photo is of his sculpture of a dying boxer).

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

About Nobi Shioya's suggestion for men's summer fragrance:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Back when I worked at a college, students sometimes came to appointments with me right after gym without showering. Those sessions seemed interminable. *gagging*

12:19 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

maria-

I know! His tongue must have been in cheek; as a man who is devoted to masking his natural scent (by any means necessary..) I have to agree with you.

I had a long social (and unavoidable as I was babysitting: read "keeping them from the booze") visit with a couple of late teens after they had I don't know moved or something and good lord: MKK is Hadrien compared to it, and even Human Existence bows before the funk..,

1:09 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll defend a bit of sweat! I think he was having some kind of SM fantasy...


And as for Chandler Burr having fun on Fire Island...

A veritable smutfest today, M!

4:15 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

I actually enjoyed the gym fantasy. I do like sweat! On the other hand, after having smelled Secretions Magnafique, I'm not sure about blood. . .

6:44 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Just adore this series! I'm actually in the camp that enjoys men's sweat. I'm w/ Judith, though, in not being so sure about the blood.

7:37 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Maria,
I too think it was written with tongue firmly planted in cheek. But I kind of, sort of "get" the appeal of that...Pitt in Fight Club and all that. :-D

9:08 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
My worst memory of teenage boy, um, smell is such: at high school I was sharing a desk (we were all sitting in pairs) with a boy and one of his classes was...not sure what to call it ...Crafts, maybe? And they were crafting something metallic week after week, and that metallic smell coupled with, yes, sweat... Oy. Secretions Magnifiques pales in comparison.

9:12 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lee,
:-D

9:15 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
I agree, a bit of sweat I can take, but that cold, fishy, metallic smell of blood...no, no!

9:16 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I am in the camp with you and J. :-)

9:16 AM EDT  
Blogger rosarita said...

My husband's sweat is a good thing to me; generic guy sweat is a whole 'nuther thing. As to teenage boys, I do work in a high school, and, yeah, the funk is eye-watering at times; sadly reminds me that I will be back to work in a matter of days, so no more leisurely mornings playing in the blogosphere...

9:35 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Anita,
Whenever July draws to the end, I am filled with an irrational sort of dread. Even though I don't have to go to school anymore, ever again, the hollow feeling of the-summer-of-fun-is-over is there.

9:38 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

So, what are Laurent's favorite fragrances? ;D Doesn't he know that type of answer won't pass on a perfume blog? Hrmph. Totally second Mr Burr's choice of Coromandel as a summer fragrance, and as far as the sweat goes, I must admit I'm really curious to smell the combo mentioned. ;D

11:21 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
Yes, I am very curious about Laurent's scents. And I can't believe you and Mr Burr can wear Coromandel in summer! No 18 - yes, definitely. Coromandel would just kill me in the heat.

11:24 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Am joining Ina and Mr. Burr in loving Coromandel in the summer. It's gorgeous on my skin in the heat. :-)

12:17 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I am wimp compared to you three :-)

12:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

There seems to be a typo in the question "what are you favorite ... ?"

Other than that, I like Burrs' list although he will lap up anything Ellena puts out.

Shioya is probably asian and asian sweat is far less intense and "aromatic" than compared to people of other nation. Some one put him in a room with sweaty football players please.

2:29 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Faizan,
I like his list too. Chanel No 18 is one of my absolute favorites.

2:31 PM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

zSpeaking of sweaty football players, I had a programming partner in computer class in the first year of university who was a linebacker and who I thought of as "Smelly Steve". He was the only fellow I ever met that I actually had to try and sit upwind from. I don't think he was wild about getting me for a partner either (he was probably thinking: "Why is that tiny, nerdy twelve-year old holding her breath?") but I grew on him, since I actually was able to do the assignments, whereas he was not. But as for the average dude, I prefer the sweat to the cloud of Axe body spray my youngest brother insists on drifting around in.

2:46 PM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Nobi sounds LOVELY to me.
Just FINE.
Lee too.
Blood- only if it's fresh, and preferably NOT my own.

Fire Island...
Quelle Surprise !

2:48 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Erin,
"Smelly Steve" :-D I agree, Axe is worse :-)

2:48 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ida,
Fresh and not your own, eh? You vamp :-)

2:51 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take Nobi's suggestions over Clements... Humor, dirt, sweat and perfume. The perfect summer combination.

Tried to stop by yesterday to defend my poor maligned Fico but chickened out and then when I got my courage back couldn't get my post accepted. If anyone lurking out there was thinking "But..but..I smell lemons, fig, salt, and cedar...it's lovely" I'm with you, naive and still unjaded... (*grin*)

12:07 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Sweetlife,
I like the humor of Nobi's answer too. And you make me want to retry Fico!

9:18 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home