Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Top 10 of Summer

No season should be allowed to pass without being honored by a Best Of list. So today some of us, perfume bloggers, (participants listed at the end of the post) teamed up to simultaneously post our Top Tens of Summer.

Marina’s Ten

This summer, unexpectedly to myself, I fell in love with aoud-rose blends; I realized that the headiest, most sumptuous florals only truly blossom in the heat; and confirmed for myself once and for all that aldehydes are perfect in any weather. I can’t in all honesty say that I am much of a believer in seasonality in perfume. Granted, I haven’t been drawn to ambers and leathers in the last couple of months, but I suspect that is more to do with my fickle tastes rather than the temperatures outside. I intend to continue wearing the fragrances listed below when autumn comes (although as usual I am in denial about its imminent arrival)…as long as I still love them.

(In alphabetical order)

1) A Maze by People of the Labyrinths

Not being a fan (to put it mildly) of the original POTL scent, Luctor & Emergo, or of roses, I had serious doubts about even trying A Maze. I am so glad I opened my mind up a crack, because it was love at first sniff. The dark, luscious blend of roses, spices, woods and – I swear! - oud, is exquisite, sensual, blissful…I could go on.

2) Aoud Roses Petals by Montale

Another aoud-rose blend on my list, this is a simultaneously drier and, paradoxically, a little more delicate, dare I say, more girly rendition. Whereas I see A Maze as a contrast or rather, harmony of maroon and black, Aoud Roses Petals pairs black with pink. If you are afraid of wearing aouds in the heat, please, trust me on this, start with a tiny drop and give it a try before summer is over. The amazing sensuality of these scents really comes to its on when the weather is sultry…

3) Carnal Flower by Frederic Malle

…and so does the sensuality of white flowers. I have not been especially kind to Carnal Flower before, so watch me eat my words now. I think it is amazing and special. And I think I realized how beautiful it is exactly because I tried when the thermometer was about to explode from the heat. Its sumptuous, slightly mentholated, even more slightly coconutty sillage is absolutely gorgeous.

4) Chanel No 22

One of my favorite aldehyde scents, one of my holy grail scents in general, this beautiful classic is appropriate in any weather, any occasion, any surroundings. A true lady of a scent.

5) Diorama by Christian Dior

Everytime I put on Diorama I am filled with a sort of trepidation, which comes from being in the presence of greatness. To me, this sublime blend of dazzling flowers and animalic base is one of Edmond Roudnitska’s most divine creations.

6) Iris Poudre by Frederic Malle

Another one of my favorite aldehydic fragrances. Its shimmering, velvety, sensual composition is nothing short of olfactory perfection.

7) Le Maroc Pour Elle by Andy Tauer

I wear Le Maroc with much pleasure during the day, but this luscious, fiery, slightly indolic jasmine-rose blend is my perfume of choice for the sultry summer nights. In my feverish imagination, the sensuous scent transforms me into a Veronica Lake-like seductress and turns the surroundings into a set of an old, romantic Hollywood movie.

8) Mea Culpa by Les Parfums de Rosine.

It is said that one of the healing properties of tuberose consists in its ability to bring serenity to the mind and heart. That is certainly true about Rosine’s sun-lit (and sadly discontinued) creation. Its dazzling, warm aroma comforts me and lifts my spirits.

9) Une Fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle

Ropion’s enigmatic creation is one of the scents I’ve been wearing the most this summer. I say, “enigmatic”, because it is incredibly soft and yet harsh, sunny and nocturnal, a beautiful paradox of a perfume.

10) Vintage Gardenia by Jo Malone

The naturally-creamy scent of gardenia is underscored here by the presence of myrrh. I find the combination irresistible. In general, I love it when gardenia is paired with a contrasting, darker note. Another example of such combo would be Tom Ford’s Velvet Gardenia, which by all rights should also be on my Top 10 list.


Tom's Ten

Choosing ten favorite summer scents is not as easy as you would think: I think that making a light but really interesting scent is truly one of the hardest things for a perfumer to pull off. Some try with just a bit of citrus, a touch of sweetness and a bit of wood, as if they had just diluted something that wasn't too interesting to begin with. These ten, some new and some old are certainly not going to be construed as falling into that trap. Since we have mostly covered them extensively (what with them being favorites and all) I will only briefly describe them, and they are only in some order of notes; I love and reach for them all equally in the heat of summer.

First, the citrus group:

1) Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien

The first Niche fragrance I ever smelled back in the dim, dead 80's at Bergdorf Goodman. As refreshing on a hot day as a cool citrus rain, this is perfection in a bottle. For me winner and still champ as the best citrus ever, and way up there in the pantheon of best fragrances ever.

2) Annick Goutal Eau de Sud

Leave it Annick Goutal to come back years later with a worthy counterpoint to the butterfly kiss of Hadrien: the peppery citrus of Eau de Sud is also wonderful. It's a sultry evening where you just melt into the warm twilight, a cool drink and a view of the moon on the water.

3) Acqua di Parma Colonia

More bracing and buttoned-up than the last two, this is the sort of scent that men or women can wear to the office, the playground, the boardroom or the beach and never be less then wonderful smelling. Cary Grant wore it. Don't we all want to be Cary Grant?

4) Hermes Hermes D'Orange Vert

Another one that I've never written of? What was I thinking? Hermes introduced this in 1979, at the time when most fragrances were as heavy as a Peterbilt and about as refined. A perfect blend of citrus, fruit and the barest whisper of oakmoss, this is a trip to the Riviera in a bottle.

Now a bit of spice:

5) Andy Tauer Reverie au Jardin

On a sultry day there is nothing nicer than lavender, and it's hard to think any could possibly be as refreshing as the cool mountain lavender in Reverie au Jardin. There are other gardens of course in this reverie that are equally suited to cold weather, but on a hot day that transportive chill is especially welcome.

And on to the vetivers:

6) Guerlain Vetiver

Guerlain's Vetiver is of course a classic: the gold standard of vetiver. It is also a truly brilliant bone-dry cocktail of a scent that like Acqua di Parma is as at home in a boardroom as it is on a boat. If Parma is Cary Grant, then Vetiver is Gary Cooper. How bad could that be?

7) Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel

Lyn Harris' newest and one that has completely taken me over. Dry salts that never get to the dreaded aquatic and cool vetiver: the scent of green waters lakeside and dappled shade. This will be in my cupboard just as soon as Saks in Beverly Hills gets it in, which better be damned fast...

8) Frederick Malle French Lover

Some days in summer you just have to dress up. Since summer is of course usually blazing this means white duck pants and a polo shirt or seersucker blazers. Nothing better to go with that than French Lover (I point blank refuse to call it Bois d'Orage): it has the solid, bankerly feel of a rock-ribbed Republican but with a poet’s heart. It simultaneously dresses you up and slyly dresses you down.

And two that absolutely should not work in summer, but absolutely do:

9) Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque

You might think that I have lost my mind: I wrote about 9 months ago how it was all smoky fruity goodness, curling up in a chair by the fire. But do you know what? That review was written in uncommon November heat, over 90 degrees. I still loved Fumerie Turque when the mercury hit 60 again, but I think its true magic is that it transports you to that fantasy mansion far more effectively in heat: it's closeness to the skin, lack of sillage and (for Lutens) fleeting character works far better on a hot day than a cold one. You're in that mansion, by that fire, and loving it..

10) Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

Now you are sure that I have gone completely bonkers, but hear me out. Serge himself lives in Morocco, and there surely cannot be a more sultry place on earth. I love using Ambre Sultan in the winter for it's touch of the souk on the drab rainy days we get here in Los Angeles, but this one really sings in summer: those gorgeous spices and that slightly sticky amber go from a memory of heat to a vital, heady, gorgeous, living thing. Of course I personally don't wear more than the barest touch, but women can surely get away with more in the evenings and should: don't default to Eau de Nothingness because the evening's sultry. Get a little sultry yourself!


Please also check other Top 10 of Summer lists:

Aromascope

Bois de Jasmin

Now Smell This

Perfume Posse

Scentzilla

64 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Definitely Tom's top 10 is what I would go for in searing summer heat (except for Ambre Sultan, that is). Marina, I dont know how you can wear half (full?) the stuff on your list in 90 degree temperatures :p

11:40 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with everything on your lists, I think they are divine. I must say that personally, there isn't much I wouldn't wear in the summer time. The winter time is where I'm more selective. The only scents I really restrict usage of is citruses in the winter. Other than that, I'm game for anything, anytime.

I think Ambre Sultan is a marvelous choice for the summer, as is any Serge Luten creation, I think. Even, I've come to realize - Rousse, which I originally thought should have been released in the fall instead of early spring - I was wrong. So I can totally understand why they made your list.

M, I'm so glad you included Iris Poudre on your list, and I'm also glad to see it get a lot of attention around here lately, I discovered it several months ago and I think its just fabulous in every way. And Carnal Flower, too!

I have one spray left in my sample vial of Iris Poudre and I'm saving it for a special day until I can buy a full bottle.

Here are a few that I particularly enjoy in the hot summer heat:
Fleur de Narcisse by L'Artisan
New York by Parfums de Nicolai
Parfum Sacre by Caron
Arabie by Serge Lutens
Timbuktu by L'Artisan
Folavril by Annick Goutal
Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal
Selection Verte by Creed
Vicolo Fiori by ETRO
Chanel No. 19

Its been very hot in Philadelphia as of late and these are the ones I've been reaching for the most to satisfy my many moods of summer.

Great Post!!
-MD

11:55 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Faizan-

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it :-)~

I can understand Marina's list- when you think about it tuberose blooms in the heat of summer so why not? Of course it's all about the application: the amount of Ambre Sultan that I think of a good in winter (one spritz to the chest before dressing) becomes one slight dab to the chest in summer. I'm sure it's the same with Marina's choices, and were I straight I would think that a whiff of tuberose coming from under a sheaf of clean hair on a sultry summer evening would be as intoxication as a cold glass of gin...

11:57 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

MD- fantastic list! I totally agree with you.

12:01 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first summer without searing or wilting heat. Some days are warm, but not what I would have called warm before. Therefore, I find the subject of summer fragrances confusing. Last summer I was living in Sacramento, where we had record-breaking heat (even for Sacramento). I wore light floral waters. This year I'm wearing a bunch of samples of heavy Oriental scents from Ava Luxe that I got recently. I get cravings to wear Le Maroc pour Elle and Reverie au Jardin. Marina and Tom, you have great lists of summer scents--if there is such a thing as a summer scent. I can't believe it's late July.

1:02 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nor can I Maria - we had our Summer in April! Wah! :-(

No overlaps between your lists and the Posses... Do you reckon it's because you're bicoastal and we're (currently) continental with a silly Brit thrown in?

1:12 AM EDT  
Blogger carmencanada said...

Our summer here in Paris has been like Lee's in England: vile. But like Marina, I love white florals in the heat, it makes them bloom. And again like Marina, I'll go on wearing most of these in fall...

1) Patou Sira des Indes
2) SL Tubéreuse Criminelle
3) SL Un Lys
4) Chanel Cuir de Russie (yes! Heat brings out the iris and rose)
5)Annick Goutal Grand Amour
6)The Different Company Jasmin de Nuit
7) Patricia de Nicolaï Eau de Lude (my bedtime jasmine garden staple)
8) FM Le Parfum de Thérèse (haven't reached for it much, not hot enough outside)
9) SL Santal de Mysore (ditto)
10) FM Eau d'Hiver

Annick Goutal Eau du Sud will make it soon into the list: I've tried this unusual citrus/chypre, much reviled by MUA, and found it quite exhilarating.

2:40 AM EDT  
Blogger carmencanada said...

P.S. How can I forget Guerlain Mahora and Terracotta? These are also summer staples.

2:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Qwendy said...

Oooh, I'm going to do my 10 tomorrow -- we overlap on A.Maze, I love it too! Instinctively I reach for bitter greens when the weather turns, but it turns out that spices and intensity really hold up to the weather better. The greens, like Vent Vert, are momentarily refreshing, but they don't really deliver. I've been loving saffron laden L'Homme Sage and Miller et Bertaux's peppery Spiritus this week - hot and cold scents, tomorrow's will be L'Homme de Coeur, a bit of both! Thanks for the impetus to do my 10! Bon weekend!

3:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Bryan said...

I am so glad you love Carnal Flower. It rocks in the heat....I meant to comment on your sniffage of NY....I have read it three times now, because you transport me there....fabulous list. I have been seeking (and finding) Chanel 22 thanks to you. : )
Tom,
I agree with the FT and AS...I love them in the heat. Do me a favor, and try some tuberose in the heat...please...for me. You won't be sorry.

3:17 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Already weeks searching for a new summer fragrance and I'm still wearing my winter favs: Ambre Sultan and Gris Cliar. And , yes Tom, they work very well. The one that doesn't work is Ambre Nagruile. In summer, the only thing you smell are cinnamon buns!.
For the rest of the summer I think I'll go for Aqua Motu or Odeur 71. For evening wear its Creed's Royal Delight.

4:30 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Oh, I love your lists--though I am still a-mazed at the M's transformation into "floral girl." I do notice that my tastes change in the summer, and I start craving green scents and some florals, and forgetting about my heavier ambers and leathers. But the weather has been so screwy here that this is not necessarily the case. Still, some have been call to me especially this summer are
Miller et Bertaux #3, green, etc.
TDC Sel de Vetiver
L'A Fleur de Narcisse
L'A Fleur d'Oranger
PG Bois Blond
SL Gris Clair
FM Carnal Flower
JHaG Lady Vengeance (I don't know that this is particularly a summer scent, but I have been wearing it a lot lately)
TDC Rose Poivree (ditto)
Tom Ford Moss Breches
and my new love Stephanie de Saint-Aignan Berberiades.
Also Diorling and Diorama, which I finally got in the new versions; the first of these may contradict what I said at the beginnning but, um, it IS an EDT--and it is just PERFECT on me!! When I wore it, I got many questions and compliments from the other perfumistas--and several ran out to buy it themselves:). I think it is actually (dare I say it) at least temporarily (oh, gee) my HG (which doesn't mean I don't need and love about 200 others:)

7:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Faizan,
Right? I know! :-) But do try a tiny drop of something headily-floral in the heat, like Tom suggests below. Just a teeny drop of Carnal Flower, for example.

8:12 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Markdavid,
Great list! Love the No 19 and the Sacre!
I agree about citruses in winter, they often feel too cold and unsubstantial. There are of course the days when one is longing for summer, then they hit the spot perfectly.

8:21 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
I too think that it sort of logical that florals would be great in summer as many flowers bloom in summer.
But you've got my admiration for wearing FT and AS. I am to wimpy for that, I could not do it!

8:26 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Maria,
High five on Le Maroc! Are you glad that it is not as hot as last year? Or do you, like me, think that Summer Must Be Hot? :-)

8:28 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lee,
There is at least one overlap- Carnal Flower. But the great variety of tastes and opinions is what makes the perfume blogging community so unique (said she pompously) :-)

8:29 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Denyse,
I saw some pictures from the Paris sniffa and everyone was wearing jackets and shawls. And actually that might be the perfect kind of weather to go perfume sniffing.
Love you list! TC and LPdeT should have been on mine too.

8:30 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This summer I find myself reaching for:

Sel de Vetiver, especially layered with
OJ Osmanthus
FM L'Eau d'Hiver
MH Fleurs de Sel
Osmanthe Yunnan
Aqua di Parma Colonia
Bois 1920 Agrumi
AF Sogni del Mare
Teeny tiny dabs of Tabac Blond and
Poivre

Any so many runners up...

8:31 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Wendy,
I am so glad you like A Maze too. We were told that it was not a big seller, to put it mildly. And when I love a scent, I want it to do well, if only because I don't want it to be discontinued. :-)
I am looking forward to reading your Top 10 list!

8:32 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Bryan,
Carnal Flower rocks my world in the heat too. So does Chanel No 22, always :-)

8:33 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Kurt,
I can imagine what Ambre Narguile is like in the heat, oy! I think Gris Clair would be fantastic on a very hot day.

8:34 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
Diorling is your HG, and Diorama is mine, and all is well in the world :-)
Carnal Flower is featured on many lists, wow.
I finally got to try Lady Vengeance, it is certainly beautiful.

8:36 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Nancy,
What a beautiful list, evocative of the sea in a very non-obvious manner. Have you tried Goutal' Vetiver? I wish I had some to send you. I think you would like it and it would fit on your list so well.

8:37 AM EDT  
Blogger donanicola said...

I admit to feelings of jealousy over summer's existence elsewhere than the UK (and Paris!). I remember loving OJ Frangipane, Diorella, Declaration, Azzuree Soliel, and Jasmin de Nuit, and Eau de Merveilles......................once upon a time in the summer. Never mind, I'm wearing Bandit today because I can and have been reaching for Femme (vintage and new) alot and its fine in London, Summer 2007!

8:45 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Nicola,
Aw, I am sorry. But at least you can wear fantastic scents like Femme now. I find Bandit wearable in hot temperatures too though, because of its greenness.

8:54 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Interesing lists! I'm more likely to wear Tom's, though, in the summer, but there are som many of Marina's I adore.... but later. Must be skin or tolerance, but I just can't do heavy scents in summer, they feel so oppressive. I apprecaite that they bloom on the skin, but a little bloom is nice, not all day, choking bloom. :)

9:33 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
Heh.:-) You do have Carnal Flower on your list though :-)

9:37 AM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Oooohhh..what a yummy list, I must try Carnal Flower! Marina, have you ever tried to pair your Vintage Gardenia with Jo Malone's Black Vetyver Cafe? It is really amazing,takes you straight to New Orleans and makes you feel like you're eating a dark chocolate & fleur de sel caramel while sipping a cafe' brulot at Brennans....

10:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Beth,
Ooh, I will have to dig into my samples boxes to see if I have a sample of BVC...I want to try that combo!

10:08 AM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Wow, another list of great scents, most of which I'd never dream of wearing in heat -- yes, I'm looking at you, M, Tom is more sensible (e.g., more like me, LOL)

10:18 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Robin,
Tee hee! :-) It seems like Ina and I have the "heaviest" lists so far :-)

10:21 AM EDT  
Blogger StyleSpy said...

I wear Ambre Sultan in the heat, too -- delicious.

10:35 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M, love your top 10 (how could I not with 50 % matches :-D ?)! AMAZE, CF, Le Maroc, Mea Culpa and Une fleur de Cassie could easily make into my Top ten for summer, although I think Une fleur will behave better on my skin in sligtly lower temps. I would add Songes, Datura Noir, and a couple of fresh/daytime scents, like Bvlgari White Tea and Diptyque Philosykos and L'Ombre dans l'Eau, La Chasse. surprisingly enough, I love LV Teint de Neige on me this summer, even in the hottest days.
Tom, love yours too, with its slightly drier and more masculine take on top summer scents. however, I couldn't agree more on Ambre Sultan. it smells soooooooo good on my DH's chest hair that I get all weak in the knees when I smell it *blushes*. I'm just *so* glad that he bought himself a FB *happy grin*.

10:43 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Amy,
Oh, you are brave! :-)

10:54 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tina,
I knew I could count on your support :-) Songes should be on my list too!

10:54 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps: don't know how could I forget SL FdO?!? it's one of my summer staples, so lush and sunny and sexy.

10:55 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tina,
It is the the bestest of the best for summer, definitely!

10:57 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
Thanks for a fine list.
I'll take the liberty to mention some of my favourites in the hope that you'll share your opinion about them if you're familiar with them, or, even better, you're introduced, in turn, to a couple you'll fancy.
1)The Guerlain is a true classic, but you might enjoy Fragonard's rendition of Vetiver too, specially in the Summer.
2) Eau d'hadrien, again, is a fine scent; You might find Signoricci ,Eau de Rochas pour homme, and the new Monsieur Balmain worthy competitors.
3)A couple of inexpensive scents that nonetheless are better than run of the mill "Aqua" generics: Gai Mattiolo Uomo, Le Roy Soleil Homme, and Iceberg Twice homme.
Karthic.

11:32 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

maria-

I can't believe it's late July either! But our summer doesn't really start until late July and doesn't end until late September, sooo.. (June is my favorite month- we get "June Gloom"- it's overcast and cool most of the day for the whole month!)

11:38 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

carmen-

I didn't know that Eau de Sud was unpopular! I adore it- I wore it almost exclusively the year it came out and never fail to elicit compliments when I do so.

11:39 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Wendy-

You were the one that I got the bottle of Ambre Sultan from if memory serves...

11:40 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

bryan-

I did, a few days ago. Tubereuse Criminelle. Just a touch.

Didn't work though. For some reason my skin devours musk but amps up white flowers to the point of murder-by-tuberose.

11:43 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Stylespy, Tina-

I am very pleased that you like AS as well!

11:45 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

karthik-

I haven't tried those, but trust me I am taking notes...

11:46 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Robin-

If you are reading this, I have been trying to post to your blog for a while and for some reason it just hates me. You have a great list! I didn't know that Chèvrefeuille was reissued- that's a purchase I'll have to make..

12:03 PM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Tom, I think it was perhaps already reissued, distributed and gone, but no matter as there are lots of bottles to be found online. Hopefully they'll keep dragging out these soliflores every few years.

And so sorry my blog hates you! Many days it seems to hate me to :-(

12:19 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love love love these kinds of posts (thanks to all the united bloggers for their input). I always get a great list of new things to try when I read everyone's favs.

I don't have a top ten, but I can come up with a top five for me for the summer of 2007:

Eau de Hadrian - Annick Goutal
Eau de The Vert - Bulghari
Element of Surprise - Beth Terry
Jasmin de Nuit - The Different Company
L'Infante - Divine

I'm picking up my share of a bottle of Creed's Virgin Island Waters this afternoon from a friend I split a bottle with. I'll bet my bottom dollar that becomes #6 on my list. And after I've tried some of your wonderful favorites, I'm betting my top five will quickly expand to a top ten. :)

1:10 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Teri,
Love your list! I know I have a sample of L'Infante somewhere, I have to unearth it now.

1:13 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Colombina, no, I don't think summer must be hot. When you're a middle-aged woman, you won't think so either. :-) :-) However, my husband agrees with you.

2:40 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Maria,
And my husband, he who makes me wear a fleece shawl inside when it is 90 degrees outside, because he cranks up the AC that high... agrees with you :-)

3:49 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Marina, love your list, although a bit surprised by Mea Culpa. I guess it is a floral. Ha!
Tom, your list shows your excellent, refined taste! Agree, the last two work great in summer (although FT is a fall scent for me). :)

5:34 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
And I love yours! :-)

5:43 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great lists (I have to retry Carnal Flower- My memory of it now is quite faint)

I am wearing Caron's Aimez Moi these days..Its cool 'clovey' icyness is exactly what I need. Also, I have discovered my love for jasmine scents this summer so- Le Maroc (love even the rose in this) and A La Nuit and ..ofcourse my favourites Tubereuse Criminelle and Poivre (which I love to smell come rain or sunshine!)

6:22 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lavanya,
Aimez Moi doesn't like (anis!), but the other scents on your list are my favorites too.

7:28 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Ina-
Thanks- I love your list too!

8:50 PM EDT  
Blogger katiedid said...

Heh! M! You picked Carnal Flower, too! Good lord! Now I am sure I missed something the first time around I tried it during the autumn season. I almost picked Le Maroc, too, but at the last second decided I love it just a smidge more for winter now, so I'll hold off until we make fall/winter lists eventually, hee! 22 is such a wonderful fragrance to catch sillage off of from other folks in summer - for some reason it tends to catch me off guard like a happy surprise when I sniff it in the air.

Tom - I love that you picked two Serges that usually get relegated to winter-only lists :) I only ever wear Arabie during the summer, since it actually smells particularly vile on me when it's cold. Something about the heat makes it sing, I guess!

9:25 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
Yeah, Carnal Flower is very popular today :-) I think I also tried it...either in spring or autumn, and I guess it's real time is summer.

9:52 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such fun to read these lists! I have been ricoheting back and forth between sunny scents (Goutal Chevrefuille and Neroli, Fico di Amalfi--love the salt and wood in that one), things that feel kind dry and bracing -- L'eau Rare Matale, Sel de Vetiver -- and things that are more lush, like Songes and some other white flowers I've been trying out. Suddenly those flowers feel rich and sexy instead of uber-feminine, as they did in winter. (Wish I had come Carnal Flower to try now that it's getting so much love!) Also found that the L'Artisan Epices trio, which felt a little thin in winter, is very satisfying in the heat.

I understand the appeal of the ouds and the A-maze -- that initial medicinal blast is quite refreshing, and I can see luxuriating in the Deep Rose--but I quail a bit at their tenaciousness...

12:33 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marvelous lists, both of you! LOVE the Le Maroc pour Elle for summer, for someone not afraid of sultry!

And I can't wait to try the French Lover, if it's anywhere near as good as the other Malles, which it must be if it's on this list!

2:12 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

sweetlife,
Ouds are rather tenacious :-) That of course makes them good value for money in a way :-)

9:39 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Flora,
I finally got to try, it is as good as other Malles, and actually perfectly wearable for a woman.

9:40 AM EDT  
Blogger Madelyn E said...

Dear Marina,
You and I share many things in common ..among them a love for Miss Dior --and- the elusive Diorama. I just this afternoon broke down and ordered a new 3.4 ounce EDT Miss Dior from Saks. I just adore this one. I haven't worn it it in years I started over 30 years ago about 1973 while in college.
I vaguely recall Diorama -whick I remember liking. Where and how can I buy Diiorama ? In France - online . I do not do ebay and amnot interested on decants. just a new, frresh bottle. Any ideas ?
Also, while we're on the subject ,, have you ever tried Miss Dior Eau de parfum /or parfum ?
Theu sell it in Saks too. ?
Bett Scented Regards,
Chypre girl --
Madelyn E

6:04 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Dear Madelyn,
It is practically impossible to find Diorama online, but you can order it over the phone from Roja Dove's Parfumerie in Harrods, London or from the main Dior boutique in Paris.

6:52 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home