Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Perfume Review: Lancome Peut-Etre

Peut-Être is the 2007 interpretation of the perfume of the same name, first released by Lancôme in 1937. I have never tried the vintage version, so I cannot provide a comparison. Having said that, the delicately feminine, refined reissue does seem to belong to a different era. There is something touchingly retro in its gentle rose note and its downy orris.

Maybe I am pathetically influenced by Lancôme's copy about a woman wandering in her garden, waiting for Him, but I do find Peut-Être ever so romantic...I am, however, a little disturbed by the following passage: "She sees a new and special intensity in his gaze. And is something hidden in his hand?"...these days, that something might be a gun, not an engagement ring...But I digress...The opening accord of Peut-Être is a little fresher than the rest of the scent, with the lilacs' breezy aroma balancing the honeyed roses. The floral accord is already silky-soft thanks to a generous dose of white musk, but the presence of orris makes it softer still, adding creaminess to the airy scent of petals. (The iris part reminds me of Stephanie St Aignan's similarly dainty but sweeter and creamier Le Pot Aux Roses.) There are no sharp angles here, the notes speak in elegantly hushed tones. Impeccably put together, graceful and gentle, the scent is exceptionally lady-like. The simple, harmonious composition is also incredibly charming. The scent paints a vision of gentle, passive femininity ....think Irene Forsyte...Peut-Être would make a perfect perfume for a traditional wedding, engagemenr party or tea with the Queen...wear it with flowing silk dresses and big romantic hats. I don't expect Her Majesty to stop by for a cuppa in the near future, but I do want Lancôme's tender creation in my wardrobe anyway, no maybe about it.

Peut-Être is available at lancome-usa.com, $125.00 for 1.7oz.

First image (Valentina Zeliaeva in Ralph Lauren) source, style.com. Second, lancome-usa.com.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Это у тебя в кармане пистолет, или ты просто так рад меня видеть?"

Женственное, нежное, Форсайты - это твое. Не знаю насчёт "пассивности". )

9:56 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

:-D, браво за Mae West!

10:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Люблю об ЭТОМ. Не знаю, что там было в 37... возможно то же, что и в 2007, что будет и в 2027, и в 2057 - "Женственное, нежное, Форсайты..."
Peut-Être? Может быть и моё.
Спасибо.
Ж.

12:30 AM EDT  
Blogger carmencanada /Grain de Musc said...

I had the chance of smelling Peut-Etre with Vero Kern when she was in Paris. Neither of us was overwhelmed, though it is very pretty, and as you say, possibly ideal for traditionally romantic occasions. My first thought was: why would I need this when there's Chanel N°22?

4:40 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Женечка, я думаю что Может Быть и твоё тоже :-)

8:45 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Denyse,
I agree, but Chanel No 22 on me is much more robust, so to say, this one is dainty and softer.

8:48 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

I actually know where my sample of this is! Shock! Must go retry it. I have sadly few occasions to which I could wear a dress or hat like those in the photo (love that hat!), but suddenly I'm finding it appealing to wear a scent that makes me feel like I do.

8:52 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L
I have no occasions like that either, sadly, but a girl can dream, right?

9:15 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

this reads as perfectly lovely- isn't it nice to find something that's content to be just that and no more?

1:11 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Exactly, it is pretty and unpretentious.

1:14 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Naturally it won't be at MY Lancome counter - I am sure it's much better than the sadly underwhelming 'Magnifique' - what a waste of a perfectly good name on that one. :-(

6:06 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

D
I actually liked that one. Not for myself, but theoretically :-)

6:22 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol. 'Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me...' :)

Coincidentally, I tried this on Friday in a department store, and it reminded me strongly of 'Flower' by Kenzo. It is charming, and a lot better than many other Lancome scents, which seem bland to bad IMHO.

4:38 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charming, soft, graceful and gentle- I would be very flattered were someone to attribute those same qualities to me! Do you think if I try a spritz some of the scent's romanticism will magically transform me? Here's hopeing........

5:57 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home