Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, September 18, 2009

Wilde in the Streets: Opus Oils Dirty Sexy Wilde

By Tom

The last time I visited Opus Oils shop on Hollywood Blvd was a year ago, when I was welcomed by the owner, Kedra Hart and shown her lovely line of oils. When I got notice that there was going to be a new one, the start of her new "Animalic Instincts" class, I was there when the door opened. Once again greeted by the handsome face of the fragrance Tiger Powers (I love a man who makes me feel short..), Kedra showed me the new scent and the coffin-shaped special-edition bottles available. The coffins cute in a "nudge, nudge, Goth, Goth" way. I think I'd fill them with booze.. The notes for "Wilde" are listed as "Galbanum, Red Mandarin, Violet, Rose, Night Jasmine, Blond Tobacco, Oakmoss, Coumarin, Musk, Civet and Ambergris".

On me the opening is a super-suave combo of the galbanum and the mandarin with tobacco, with the flowers peeping up later before settling into the animal notes and the hay-like coumarin. On me it's not so dirty, but decidedly sexy in a your-skin-but-better kind of way: as elegant as a Savile Row Suit with a bit of retro-smokiness.

Best part? It's $50 for 1 OZ of oil. I was at Neiman's this weekend and entirely unimpressed with the new Tom Ford musks, mainly because I had just smelled (and bought) this for about a quarter of what the studiedly louche Mr. Ford charges for his EDT. I love finding people like this, who are great at what they do and are passionate about it; the antithesis of the manufactured, airbrushed, corporate anodyne coolth exemplified by Mr. Ford.

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Blogger chayaruchama said...

OK, OK.
You got me...;-)

6:38 AM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

No doubt.....geez Tom! Did you have to do that so early in the morning;)

8:08 AM EDT  
Blogger Mals86 said...

"Studiedly louche!" Oh, perfect. You've just explained to me why it is that I'm extremely reluctant to throw any of my perfume dollars in Mr. Ford's direction, even for the lovely Black Orchid Voile de Fleur.

Although I don't think I need Dirty Sexy Wilde, either. Great descriptive review, as always - knowing that I'm probably not going to like a scent and being able to cross it off the smellage list is always helpful.

8:27 AM EDT  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

Whoa...rats...argh! Hello, right notes knocking at the right door. I really want to see what that combination does on my skin. Or somebody close to me. Going to find out if I can get a sample.

Mr. Ford. hmmph. I kind of chuckle when I say it, because I think of New York Times conventions, and then "Mr. Ford" has echoes of "Mr. Loaf," as in Meat Loaf. Kinda puts it all back in place. ;)

9:51 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Chaya-

yay!

11:44 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Beth-

I write, Marina schedules..

11:45 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

mals86-

I kind of like reading and knowing that I don't need to go there as well.

11:46 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

scentself-

I think samps are available on their site.

11:46 AM EDT  
Anonymous Flora said...

Oh, this has ME written all over it. Who knew that the Flower Queen of yore would become a decadent base notes monster - and love it? :-)

1:14 PM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

Yummy! And great marketing... throwing a favorite author into a title is a surefire way to get a nibble from me. And isn't THAT embarrassing? But it sounds wonderful, and nobody can argue with that price.

And I agree, "studiedly louche" is a delightful turn of phrase.

1:33 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

Same thing happened to me!

2:36 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Ducks-

That's true- nobody can argue on price!

2:37 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

This is *meant*. I've just been rereading several of my fave OWs and those notes sound fantastic! I also always appreciate her price points. It's incredible to me that $50 scents now seem like an absolute steal. When I first joined MUA - not *that* long ago - that was a fairly average price. WTH happened?

6:17 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

Overhead? Marketing? Exchange rate?

9:37 PM EDT  
Blogger Tama said...

This was already on my list to try and you just sealed the deal - sounds fab, and I love Opus.

9:57 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tama-

They're a lovable bunch with great products..

11:26 PM EDT  
Blogger stellaglo said...

you know, i tried this one, and unless i opened the wrong sample, all i got from this was butterscotch skank. did you smell anything akin to butterscotch?

9:32 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Nope, not really. I just reapplied and no butterscotch for me. But you might get that on your skin.

Was it at least good butterscotch?

1:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Divalano said...

And suddenly, I need samples. :)

Oils never, ever work for me but I did read your first review & well, 2 time must be the charm. Must sniff.

1:29 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Divalano-

I'd love to read your thoughts!

2:49 PM EDT  
Blogger stellaglo said...

tmp00, it was fine, just not what i was hoping for. (i'm always hoping for leather in some form)

4:12 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Nope. No leather. But there are so many great leathers out there, from Bandit to Le Labo Patch I don't think I'm missing it much.

You should check out Marina's exhaustive list of leather scents on the homepage. It's a great resource.

8:31 PM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

I received my sample on Monday -- talk about FAST! -- and like it rather well. I think it will suit my brother, who loves these animalic musky retro scents. I get the same progression you do -- amusingly, my husband picks up on the rose as if he were being bludgeoned with it. I don't -- wonder if I'm a little anosmic? Thanks again for the tip, Tom.

12:25 PM EDT  
Blogger Tama said...

WooHoo! This pup is a monster - I love it. Civet goes all rotting vegetation on me, which does not work in Jicky but works quite well in this. I just wrote to Opus and told them I can just see the portrait degrading as I wear this. It is clean and dirty all at once. I want to wear it in a storm.

1:44 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home