Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pumpkin Patch: Etat Libre d’Orange Like This

By Tom

Tilda Swinton is an actress that I adore; I've enjoyed her performances since "Orlando". When I read that she was going to have a celeb fragrance I wasn't sure. For every Jane Birkin/Miller Harris creation, there's, well too many to list of god-awful ones. I know that Etat Libre isn't exactly Parfums del Mattel, but still.

Receiving the mass email from LuckyScent I stopped by on the way home. Listed notes are Yellow mandarin, ginger, pumpkin accord, immortelle, Moroccan neroli, rose de Grasse, vetiver, heliotrope, and musk (Notes from LuckyScent). The neroli and the mandarin open it on me. more peel than orange. Ginger drops in, more like powdered than fresh raw or candied. The pumpkin is discernible and fleshy and the immortelle is a whisper. About halfway through the musk comes out to play, adding in a delightfully disconcerting drrrtyness to the proceedings. I realise that the preceding sentences, list of notes and that fact that it's the kids that came up with the first perfume that smells like a sex crime might not lend itself to the idea that this is a very quiet scent. There's nothing foody about it, despite the pumpkin. The immortelle isn't the moist, maple syrup variety and the ginger and the orange are as effacing as the rose and vetiver. It's probably the best thing that's come out of Etat Libre, and perhaps the first thing of theirs that I really want to purchase.

According to The Non-Blonde Ms. Swinton will be at Henri Bendel on 5th Avenue on June 17th to sign bottles and let us bask in her fabulousness. Would that I could be there...

$99 for 50ML at Henri Bendel and LuckyScent

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

LOL - oh, if only all those really bad celeb scents WERE made by Parfums del Mattel, we would all know to stay away from them! :-D

Like This sounds like a perfect scent for cool weather and a great antidote for a gray day. I look forward to trying it one day.

1:19 AM EDT  
Anonymous lady jane grey said...

This is a must for me. Because of Tilda. Even if the "ingredients" make a strange combo...

1:42 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. To each her own. I wouldn't wear this to a skunk rassle.

1:55 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

I liked this one a lot too.

8:11 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow-of all my listings I LOVE this site! THNX Tom...& all the other diverse pov's. It's barely dawn in Colorado & the heat is already shimmering in the air (beastly). I can't sleep, too hot; thinking of what kind of perfume to get..and..here you are :)!! this to me, sounds like a lovely hot weather perfume (for me)- roses & oranges & sex..oh my...perfect for a hot day. Perfect timing...will see how to try - many thnx

8:33 AM EDT  
Blogger StyleSpy said...

On me the ginger & immortelle were the most prominent notes. It had a slightly sweet nuttiness that I liked, but I didn't really want to wear it -- it seemed like something was missing, I don't know what. I decided it would be a fantastic candle, though.

9:03 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

It is perfect for a grey day. Actually since that's what we get almost all of June in LA it's perfect for right now!

2:10 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Jane-

It is a strange combo, but strange good.

2:10 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

quinncreative-

LOL "skunkrassle" I have to use that one day

2:11 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marina-

I thought it would be good on you..

2:11 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

robyn-

let us know how it worked out for you!

2:12 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

style spy-

I do want to wear it but your are right- it would make a fantastic candle.

2:13 PM EDT  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I was lucky enough to get a sample of this early before it was available in the U.S. and really liked it - it's a great comfort scent. I'm not sure why they're releasing it in the summer here because it wears much more like a fall scent on me.

That being said, I did go in on a split of it so I'll have it when it finally dips below 100 degrees sometime in October. I do have to be careful and spritz lightly or the immortelle goes maple syrup on me - so I can see why some people might not care for it.

9:57 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Cynthia-

I can see that, but as a lover of Sables I think this immortelle os fairly harmless. Then again, I dabbed rather than sprayed, and in LA there's about 15 minutes that Sables won't smother you

11:24 PM EDT  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I'm probably super-sensitive to maple syrup smell since I loathe the stuff. Dabbing definitely helps and I only spritzed lightly from my bottle - more out of fear than actual experience.

I'm sure that I'll put it away until it cools down, just because I'm afraid of the scent turning cloying on me in the heat and ruining it for me. I really do like it though - I'm wondering if I had never read that imortelle sometimes smells like maple syrup, if I would even get a whiff?

I think that sometimes it's better to sniff things without a notion of what it's supposed to smell like.

12:38 AM EDT  
Blogger Isa said...

I'm looking forward to trying it. My only "concern" is that I will probably love it, according to all the comments, and it's not cheap at all :( It's quite expensive, indeed.

The only ELDO scent that I has fallen in love with, was Nombril Immense.

10:05 AM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

I'm a sables junkie and everything about this scent just sounds delicious. You prompted an IMMEDIATE sample buy off Lucky (and a lot of other scents too, just because I have no self control.) Thanks for the next adventure. :)

11:49 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Cynthia-

I think you would get the association with Immortelle and Maple without outside influence. Certainly with Sables, for instance. When it came out I had to try it a few times before I could move past the idea that it was pancake-ready..

12:37 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Isa-

It's pricey, but not as bad as some. Plus, I can see applying this one in car-wash strength, so I think the bottle would last a long time.

12:38 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Ducks-

I'd love to read how it works out for you!

12:39 PM EDT  
Anonymous Lisa said...

My best friend had this and i just had to have it!

7:31 PM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

Tom, first impressions: I'll analyze and give you more in-depth thoughts, but on me, at least on my recovering-from-sinus-infection second-trimester-pregnancy nose, it is CARROT CARROT CARROT seed! with a hefty cuddle of musk and everything else is a supporting player. I'll have to try again when my nose has completely recovered. :)

4:33 PM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

Oh... and I do like it.

4:34 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, and it has just a kiss of that vomit note that keeps me from liking sl's chypre rouge.

otherwise, a pleasant, warm scent with great lasting power.

- minette

6:50 PM EDT  
Anonymous Radu Prisacaru - UK Internet Marketer said...

Great post can you recommend any forums to join?

5:15 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice article! Thank you! http://www.smellzgood.biz

5:44 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home