Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, March 24, 2011

In The Bag: Terre d’Hermès

By Tom

Well, I have an excuse for being really lazy today. It's the LA Marathon and I'm cut off from my usual sources of fumes by hordes of runners. It's also raining cats and dogs. So much so that as I type my building manager is chain-sawing the smallish tree that fall over in the courtyard and is blocking the stairs to my place.

And the dog ate my homework..

But I did get some samples when I purchased that bottle of Cravache at Neimans, so...

Terre d’Hermès was created by Jean Claude Ellena in 2006, according to Now Smell This as a companion to Eau de Merveilles. I don't know about that, but I do know this is a brilliant scent. It opens with citrus and a mineral note that happily reminds me of Miller Harris Fleur de Sel, which since it's not available in the States anymore is a very good thing. Pepper and cedar join in along with a delightfully earthy vetiver. Like Marina, I don't get a lot of development here, but that's no bad thing since what is here is so wonderful.

Trying it next to the Miller Harris, the Hermès is the much smoother, which I suppose should be expected from both Hermès and Ellena. Miller Harris takes that Sel and vetiver and rubs it in. Terre d’Hermès is far more polished. I also think that this one is something that a lady could wear very easily, so ladies, if you're looking for a birthday gift that gives you poaching opportunities, here's an excellent one for your consideration.

$110 for 3.4oz at Hermes.com or at Neiman Marcus (oddly, only by phone or in person, not online)

My sample is from Neiman Marcus and was received with a purchase.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My DH and I used up a whole bottle of this over the course of a couple of years. Love it! Unfortunately, I got kind of hyperosmic to Iso E Super, one of the biggest components of this formula, and now I can't wear anything with lots of Iso E without headaches. So sad, because I love the Ormonde Jaynes, too, and some use quite a lot of Iso E. Maybe this weird and unwelcome side effect of too much perfume sniffage will go away some day!!
-Marla

6:15 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TdH was an impulse purchase for me. It's a "green citrus" in my categorization scheme and well-beloved by those around me. I'd never even heard of it in 2009, but one sniff was convincing. I then realized it was available in EdP and that sealed the deal! I find I don't wear it so much these days (it's not perfumey...more just refreshing), but I love it when I do. And the whole package is lovely, from the box to the elegant bottle with the twist-open nozzle.

7:38 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marla-

That's too bad. Stay away from Escentric Molecules 01. It's Iso E Super central..

10:54 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

JMBalaya-

I saw that it's available in an EdP at the Hermès website. I might have to seek it out.

Oddy, I didn't see Eau d'Hermès on there. Wonder if it's gone? THat would be very sad.

10:57 AM EDT  
Anonymous Mary Beth said...

Dang! That's what Terre reminds me of - MH de Sel. It has to be the vetiver. FdS is more than a little foral on me but thankfully the salt and vetiver notes keep them to a reasonable volume.

BTW - the last time I checked Min New York had pretty the much the complete MH line. Just doing my part for the economic recovery.

12:12 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

mary Beth-

Thanks! Good to know!

2:31 PM EDT  
Blogger Undina said...

Terre d'Hermes is one of my favorite scents. Some Nordstroms have it in stores (not online though).

7:08 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home