Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, April 01, 2011

Le Mimosa by Annick Goutal

Odd fruits streak continues... after the mustached pear of La Belle Helene, let me introduce you to the sweaty peach of Le Mimosa. The only reason why I decided to talk about the latter is because I am puzzled by an unexpected body odor-ish quality to the composition. Cumin often has that "skin warmth" feel about it, but does anise? In any case, there is something warm and human if not exactly pleasant about Le Mimosa.

Other than that...well, sometimes if you try hard, you can sort of intuit the declared star note(s) in a composition...like cedarwood in Cedre...but however hard I try, I am unable to get any mimosa in Le Mimosa. There is something vaguely rosy about it, with a cooling freshness from anise on top and a lot of plasticy fruitiness from peach throughout, and that's about it. There are several takes on mimosa out there, none particularly realistic, but most fairly successful in representing at least a certain characteristic of the aroma. L'Artisan's Mimosa Pour Moi is all about the watery doughiness of mimosa, Farnesiana focuses on its warm, almondy quality...Goutal's rendition has nothing to justify its name.

To be honest, these days I don't want to try hard to understand the whys and how-comes of new releases. I probably have been all puzzled-out in the beginning of my obsession by trying to decipher Lutens's creations. Was the Goutal team going for the mimosa feel rather than the mimosa smell? Perhaps, but if so, they failed anyway. The fragrance does not evoke the vivid, joyful yellow of mimosa. Rather, it appears to be pale, pastel peach in color as well as in smell. Again, were it not for the incongruous sweaty feel, the perfume would have been totally unremarkable.

Available wherever Goutal is sold.

What is your favorite mimosa fragrance?

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Ducks said...

How sad! I have to confess that after a really dedicated sampler of mimosa scents, I still swoon for "Mimosa Pour Moi" (did I get that right?) It's so ethereal and lovable.

Change of subject: my word verification capcha is "calumbe." So close to "Columbina!"

12:15 AM EDT  
Blogger A said...

Hi Marina,

I had been looking forward to this and a friend likes it, but it seems other reviews have been like yours: not impressed.

I don't know what true Mediterranean mimosa smells like, but in addition to Farnesiana & Givenchy Amarige Harvest Mimosa, I really love SMN Gaggia, which I will definitely be buying for this summer. I may also pick up a bottle of L'Occitane Mimosa Esterel, which I found really pleasant on a recent sniffing spree.

1:14 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Disappointing...

3:54 AM EDT  
Blogger Ines said...

I don't have a favorite mimosa - I actually don't remember ever smelling a mimosa perfume. SO now I have your suggestions for the other two besides Goutal which it seems doesn't smell mimosish. :)

4:07 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Linda
Sometimes I feel the verification is trying to communicate a message. :)

8:20 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Joe
Oh I need to try Gaggia!

8:20 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Birgit
Maybe you will have more luck with it?

8:20 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ines
Let me know if you find a mimosa after your own heart :)

8:21 AM EDT  
Anonymous Nancy H. said...

"Mustached pear." Wow, that is the best description of La Belle Helene that I have seen. I was really disappointed by my sample after all the hype in the blogs. I have a feeling that I would be similarly disappointed by Le Mimosa. I think I will give it a pass.

10:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

I can probably pass on this one, too. It's kind of nice to not have any lemmings lately!

10:11 AM EDT  
Anonymous *jen said...

Am I the only one who likes this perfume? lol

7:28 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Nancy
Don't pass on it, you just never know!

7:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tammy
It's nice for the budget, but I am always a little sad when I am lemming-free:)

7:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Jen
I saw good reviews!

7:36 PM EDT  
Blogger a.k.a. Warum said...

My favorite mimosas are L'Occitane Mimosa Estrel and L'Artisan Mimosa pour Moi. I am trying to decide between the two.

9:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

aka Warum
I haven't tried Mimosa Estrel, and clearly need to!

9:01 PM EDT  
Anonymous Sturdoh said...

Plastic-y peach doesn't sound good. I'm very happy with L'Artisan's rendition, which a kind friend introduced me to. It's one of my favorites for Spring. I've never smelled "real" mimosa so I'm happy to accept L'Artisan's as the benchmark.

9:39 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Sturdoh
Mimosa is more or less a symbol of spring in Russia. I miss it.

12:46 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

got to try this at neiman's yesterday, and it was just so not what i was hoping for, and very much as you describe. such a disappointment - i would've thought this house would've nailed mimosa quite nicely. oh, well.

minette

2:05 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home