Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Sparkling Darkly: Paname Paname by Technique Indiscrete

By Marina

Technique Indiscrete calls Paname Paname their "re-interpretation of the chypre family". I would say, it is more of a homage, to the family in general and to Edmond Roudnitska's branch of it in particular. What makes it a chypre is the properly done, rich yet dry, somewhat pungent base, which smells...well, like a chypre! Not a "chypre". The real thing.

What makes it reminiscent of such masterpieces of Roudnistka's as Femme, Diorama and Diorella, and especially the latter two, is the beautiful contrast of the simultaneous brightness (due to the presence of fresher top) and carnal darkness (due to the abundance of cumin) of Paname Paname, on an expansive yet graceful floral background. To quote Capote, "its eyes sparkle with dark deeds". A chypre of this kind evokes in my mind a seemingly cold and prim beauty with a dark secret. A woman wrapped in fur, with nothing under it. There is at once elegance and dirtiness about the blend that I adore. Technique Indiscrete lists "apple cake" among the notes, and possibly this addition of a gourmand accent is what makes the scent "a re-interpretation" for the creators. Luckily for me, I get no cake and just a tad of rather abstract fruitiness. I say luckily, because I prefer my chypres classic, not re-interpreted.

Available at techniqueindiscrete.com, EUR 150.00 for 100ml.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Victoria said...

Interesting! I have never even heard of this brand.

12:55 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

A real Chypre- where do I petition to get this in the US?

3:09 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home