Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, September 23, 2005

The Madonna by Edvard Munch and Regina Harris Perfume Oil


Edvard Munch, Norwegian painter, lithographer, etcher, and wood engraver, is considered to be one of the most significant influences on the development of German and Central European expressionism. Munch's disquieting and tortuous art reflected the conflicts of his time, and his own unhappy life.

His Madonna is not typically demure and full of inner light. She is dark, provocative and somehow troubled. Sensual, mysterious and tragic. Very intense. "The pause during which the entire world halts in its orbit. Your face embodies all the beauty of the world. Your lips, as crimson as a ripe fruit, are half open as if to express pain. A corpse's smile. Here life and death shake hands. The chain that links thousands of past generations to the thousands to come has been meshed." (Edvard Munch)

Regina Harris Perfume Oil, also known as Frankincense Myrrh Rose Maroc Perfume Oil, is for me an olfactory equivalent of that painting. It is alluring, disturbing and mysterious. This is an Expressionist scent, with the notes of frankincense, myrrh and rose distorted and exaggerated to achieve an unsettling, dark and simmering fragrance. The notes are rich and complex and very smoothly blended. Lasting power is exceptional, the bottle is stunning, and, even though the price is rather high at $125 for 15ml, this scent keeps calling to me and one day I am hoping to have it in my collection.

* The Madonna by Edvard Munch, 1894-5, Oil on canvas, Nasjonalgalleriet, Oslo

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Morning, Vikochka, I am absolutely not a fan of oils either, I just simply don't know how to deal with them. But this one was really nice, I would definitely recommend trying it. It is deep and dark and gorgeous.

9:56 AM EDT  
Blogger Sand said...

I didn't know you had a blog! Yay! I love Regina Harris, such a beautiful fragrance. I like oils more in the summer because i have to wear rather heavy sunblocks when I go out and they stand up to the heat better.

1:04 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Hi there! *waves* That makes sense (to wear them in summer). My problem with oils is I don't like the initial slightly sticky sensation when I first put them on. But I would definitely buy this one, oil or not (and they should make an EDP or EDT!)

1:07 PM EDT  
Blogger Nonna Gorilovskaya said...

Your blog has really taken off! Congrats!

1:57 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Bol'shoe spasibo, Nonnochka!

2:11 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home