Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, December 16, 2005

Perfume Review. Two Comfort Scents by Givenchy: Organza Indecence and Oblique Rewind

Today’s review is for two more comfort scents. Lets face it, when the forecast promises snow and rain all on the same day, one needs comfort in any form one can get it. My personal recipe is to make a hot cuppa of Russian Caravan tea and wrap myself in one of these warm, sweet, spicy olfactory blankets. You can find reviews of my other favorite comfort scents here, here, and here.

Organza Indecence was created in 1999 by Norbert Bijaoui and Jean Claude Deville. I am not quite sure whether it was a Limited Edition of Organza, which by definition would have had a short lifespan, or whether it was simply –inexcusably- discontinued. Whatever the reason, Organza Indecence is not very easy to find, but it is worth an effort. It starts with a spicy, cinnamon-y and woody accord, which I believe is Jacaranda wood, this top note is the ultimate sweet woody pleasure; if you like me are a fan of warm, rich woody scents, you are practically guaranteed to love Organza Indecence at the first sniff. In the middle stage a harsher woody note enters the scent, which makes me think there are cedar and benzoin in the blend. It is not off-putingly harsh, it actually adds a certain sharp elegance to the composition. That note disappears quite fast and we are left with a velvety drydown, which mostly consists of vanilla, amber and musk on my skin. I read that there a plum note among the ingredients, but to my nose Organza Indecence has no fruitiness at all, it is all wood, soft, spicy and comforting.

Oblique Rewind, created in 2000 by Nathalie Lorson, is a part of Oblique trio that also includes Oblique Play and Oblique Fast Forward. I believe Oblique was Givenchy’s attempt to be “cool” and in tune with the younger clientele; the Oblique trio was inspired by musical equipment, and housed in strange, UFO-like packaging. I guess the younger customers were not impressed and the rest was put off by the faux hip concept and Obliques were discontinued. I do not regret the passing of Play and FFWD, but the loss of RWD is lamentable. If one manages to look past the nonsensical name and the silly bottle, this is actually a wonderfully warm, rich, velvety scent that could compete with cult favorites like Escada Collection for the title of the ultimate comfort fragrance. Oblique Rewind starts with a spiced cherry accord that is more of a cherry tobacco than a berry scent, it is a sweet, smoky, delicious note. Paired with the pistachio note that appears next, it becomes oh so indulgent, it is gourmand without being foody. In the drydown, Oblique RWD is mostly woods (sandalwood and cedar) with a little patchouli thrown in for good measure. Among my favorite comfort scents, this is perhaps the richest, the warmest, and the most robust.

Organza Indecence is available at Parfumsraffy, $49.00 for 1,7oz. Oblique Rewind can be found at PerfumeMart, $32.00 for two 0,66oz sprays.

13 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Dear T,
1) Let me know how you like them
2)Let me know if you fin any RWD
3)They sell F du B??? (L'Etoile?)I am so envious! Shiseido doesn't export to the US anymore :-( I am so glad you like it though!

9:19 AM EST  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Now, the Indecence is way too woody for me but the Rewind-I love. I agree, its the ultimate comfort scent. I never expected to get so attached but I am.
Great reviews! :-)

10:41 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you L! Great to find another RWD fan. Givenchy should find a way to bring it back without reissuing the other two.

10:44 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

They are just what the doctor ordered when it's that dreary outside :-)

2:24 PM EST  
Blogger katiedid said...

Indecence was part of the regular line-up, not an LE. In fact, I can still easily find it and its ancillary products on the shelves at the dept. store here that carries Givenchy. So basically, the company is a total dolt if rumor is true and it's been discontinued. I've inquired the SAs at the store about that fact, and they, as expected, know less about the Givenchy line than I do. Hrmph. So they looked at me like I must be misguided and said they knew nothing of the sort.

I love OI's dry vanillic woody goodness. Whenever I make up top ten lists for myself, this one is always on it, and always at the top. Simply a perfect creation. I can't find a single flaw in it.

4:52 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

It is flawless indeed!

I live in such fragrance desert here, TJMaxx has nothing, other stores have nothing that I like...arrgh. The only place for me to find OI is ebay and soem online stores.

4:59 PM EST  
Blogger mireille said...

"gourmand without being foody" ... Rewind and its descriptions have always fascinated me when I noticed them on the board. I must try this!! *but Indecence sounds wonderful,too ...* xoxo

10:19 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

M, I went off plain foody a while ago, but I am sucker for a nicely done gourmand. I find there is a slight but significant difference there. :-)

10:21 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a great scent! I was so sad to hear that it was discontinued :(
thank god for e-bay!

10:34 PM EST  
Blogger Smaragd said...

i just got a 50ml bottle of indecence on saturday from someone who said she'd been given four bottles by different people! it's definitely different from the other perfumes in my wardrobe and it's growing on me.

thanx for this helpful insight

9:26 AM EDT  
Blogger tqueen said...

Hi Ladies,

If you love Indecence you can now get the large spray at Dillard's for $89. The bottle has been re-designed, however the scnet is still the same. So excited to find this. Again you can get it at Dillard's.

11:55 AM EST  
Blogger LAURELGIRL said...

I have been Searching for Oblique Rewind and Organza Indecence since the last time I was fortunate enough to buy the last one left in a store in London. I searched online but the were all out. I even tried emailing Givenchy, but I did not receive a response. Don't know what to do.

9:47 AM EDT  
Blogger tqueen said...

Hi Laurelgirl

With regard to Organza Indecense, you can get the large spray at Dillard's. Most of their stores carry this brand, however it is in limited quantities. It has not been discontinued, it is only being sold at Dillard's currently.

If you can not find it in your area, I would be happy to give you the number to a store in my territory where you can find it and do a phone order.

I am not sure if you can get Oblique Rewind, I have been with the company almost 8 years and I have never seen it in the US.

Hope this is helpful to you!!

10:17 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home