Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Perfume Review: Hugo Boss Pure Purple

Pure Purple, the latest scent from Hugo Boss, launched in January 2006, was inspired by calissons, “a traditional confection from Aix-en-Provence, made from powdered almonds, sweet melon and candied orange.” (Osmoz) The description boasts all sorts of appealing notes like “black” violet, suede and marzipan. I have never been a fan of Boss’s scents and these three notes were the only reason I made an effort to locate a sample of Pure Purple. I should have known better.

Pure Purple starts with a slightly sweet fruity-floral accord; I can only assume that the flower is cyclamen and the fruit is nectarine, because neither note is very distinct. And this really is all there is to this scent; no “black” (and only a hint of regular) violet, no almonds, and certainly no suede, just your average, no, strike that, less remarkable than average, fresh (in the earlier stage of the drydown, almost aquatic-fresh) fruity-floral fragrance, absolutely indistinguishable from the legion of other such scents already available on the market. Please do not be tempted by the promise of a delicious olfactory dessert and/or suede. You are bound to be disappointed, there is nothing gourmand about this scent and the suede note is absolutely non-existent.

Pure Purple is already available at Scentiments, $35.89 for 1.6oz.

Tomorrow- Angel Rose by Thierry Mugler.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds a bit disappointing.

btw, I would have mailed you but didn't see a link...I've moved my blog for the very last time.
If you wish to still link to me you can find me here:

www.kyahgirl.com


thanks :-)
Laura

11:03 AM EST  
Blogger andy said...

hehehe... black violett sounds great, but...
Dear colombina thank you for this truly honest post!

11:05 AM EST  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

yikes. steer clear of this one.

11:14 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
I wans't sure whether it existed, but I sort of suspected there is no such thing. Would be great name for a perfume, wouldn't it? Black Violet...:-)

12:54 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I was sure I replaced the old link with new one, so sorry, it seems I haven't saved the template changes afterwards. How typical :-)
Does it allow you to transfer the comments from one blog to another? That is the only thing that keeps me here. Ever so often I get this itchy feeling and want to do something to the blog, like move it :-)

12:57 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Andy,
It was all too easy to be honest about Pure Purple. It's not bad as in "repulsive".It is just so very unremarkable. I keep thinking, why did they bother to create it, to spend money and time? I can't see it doing well in the stores. There are too many others just like this one.

12:59 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Cait,
I don't think you will be repulsed by PP. But there is a danger you might dose off while smelling it :-) It is that boring.

1:00 PM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Have a sample. Afraid to try it now, LOL...

1:17 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Don't be scared, R! It's super boring, that's all. :-)

1:26 PM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

I think this is a great example of the perfume notes bearing no relation to the final product. That was probably one of my biggest surprises when I started trying to think through scents logically for a review -- beyond the hooey of the fragrance "story," the notes themselves are pretty suspect as listed. In this case, the notes were the best thing about the perfume!

2:45 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
You are absolutely right. The description-writer has done a great job.

2:50 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, you can move your comments if you do it like a smart person, not a retard like I did!Wordpress has an importing feature from blogger.
Unfortunatately, its not easy to import to a hosted version of wordpress (like I have now) from the wordpress.com blog which was my first one.
email me if you'd like more info :-)
Laura

3:10 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you very much, Laura, it's nice to know there are ways to do it, shoudl I ever decide to move.

4:21 PM EST  
Blogger Sexy Sadie said...

I have tried this one, and I am dissapointet. It is very close to Lamcomes Hypnôse.

4:48 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Sadie,
I thought of Hypnose too, when I got to the drydown of Pure Purple! Only PP is a very very very watered down version of Hypnose.

4:57 PM EST  
Blogger Sexy Sadie said...

Yes, but I am not headed for euther of them.

5:11 PM EST  
Blogger Victoria said...

My "Scentiments" exactly.

6:09 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

LOL!
That's a good one! :-)

6:14 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home