Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Perfume review: Le Labo Jasmine 17


Le Labo is the new fragrance line, the originality of which consists in the fact that the fragrances are mixed when you purchase the scents (maturated essential oil is mixed with alcohol and water). The most exciting aspect of Le Labo to me is the perfumers who created the maturated oils: Alberto Morillas, Annick Menardo, Daphne Bugey, Frank Voelkl, Françoise Caron, Michel Almairac, Mark Buxton, and Maurice Roucel. Jasmine 17 is one of the two Roucel’s creations for the line (you can read my review of the other scent, Ciste 18, here). Jasmine 17 was meant to be “a modern alternative to the old-fashioned traditional floral signatures.” According to Le Labo, “the short formula” gives Jasmine 17 “such a distinctive character that once you wear it you’ll never forget it”.

I am not entirely sure about the “distinctive character”. Jasmine 17 is yet another variation on the “floral and vanilla” theme, and even though the rendition is subtle, delicate and truly lovely, once again I am reminded of a host of similar fragrances, among them Black Orchid by Susanne Lang and even, in a way, Songes by Annick Goutal. Jasmine 17 is more understated than either and has a certain genteel, quietly feminine feel to it. The scent seems to be asking to be worn with a flowing white dress, lace gloves and a white umbrella. As for the notes, jasmine and orange blossom are most prominent to my nose, accompanied but never overshadowed by the ubiquitous vanilla. The fragrance does not undergo much development on my skin, yet there is a lot of charm in this seemingly simple blend.

Jasmine 17 is perhaps not big bottle worthy for me, but I might obtain one of Le Labo’s 15ml bottles, wear the scent in summer and feel like a refined, gracious lady from the 1900s. Jasmine 17 is available at Le Labo boutique, $45.00-$180.00.

* The image is from Lelabofragrances.com. The painting is Walk on the Beach by Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida, from Easyart.com.

13 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
This is one of the easiest jasmines (florals in general really) for me to wear. It was so...light as you said and easy-going :-) I definitely need a bottle, even if it is a smaller one.

9:58 AM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Need to try the jasmine again, but guessing it will not be my favorite from the line. Very pretty & wearable though!

10:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
Exactly. That's what I thought too. Pretty and wearable, but not exactly my favorite.

11:37 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Huh, will have to see if Patty got some of this! She better send us that other one, the Doctah Doctah.

SHould I be hanging my head in shame? Hey, do you have any comments on her reveal that you want to post tomorrow?

3:34 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Why should you be hanging your head in shame, March??

I seconded your suggestion about Patty surrendering her Doctah to us. :-D

You go ahead and comment tomorrow, I don't think I will have enough to say for a whole post apart from, Yay March for guessing Hilton, yay me for guessing Missoni and Give Us The Doctah! :-D

4:17 PM EDT  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

I am a sucker for Jasmine so I guess I should try these labo labo things everyone's been writing about. I did end up liking Songes, though, so maybe that will fit the bill for this JASNILLA type this season.

4:35 PM EDT  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

P.S. I cited one of your old reviews today!

4:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Cait,
Oh my goodness, that is such a great word, Jasnilla!! Can I use too, please? It describes the trend perfectly, and this Le Labo scent in particular. Jasnila!!

PS. I am thrilled and honored to be cited by you :-)

9:34 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
I think you will like Jasmin 17. Maybe you won't fall truly, madly deeply in love with it, but it might be a beautiful friendship :-)

Now, what do you mean by lime and what do you mean by coconut? :-)

10:37 PM EDT  
Blogger Jenny said...

I think I would love this one because I adore all the white flowers, aspecialy the indolic flowers like orangeblossom, tuberose,gardenia and jamsine.

9:05 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Jenny,
I think you will like this one then, however, on my skin, there was no indolic-ness in Jasmine 17.

9:21 AM EDT  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

Dear Marina,
Jaznilla might be a snappier spelling. I bought the rights to that in ought five. harhar.

12:57 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

he he he
Even better!

8:45 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home