Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Saturday, June 02, 2007

“This is perfume, not hot dog.” An article on Coney Island in New York Times

According to the article, Breathing in Coney Island, at Just $178 a Bottle, by Anthony Ramirez, the perfumer, Richard Herpin, was chosen for the project (undoubtedly among other deciding factors) because he once gave out as a party favor a fragrance that smelled like margarita mix. The article states that
Ms. Rahme’s expectations for “Coney Island” are modest, perhaps 10,000 bottles sold in the first year. Her best seller is “Scent of Peace,” which has about $2 million in wholesale revenue a year in various sizes, followed by “Chinatown,” and “Wall Street.”

You can read the whole text on nytimes.com.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Scent of Peace is Bond no. 9's best seller ? Wow, that fragrance is so generic smelling. Coney Island might not be my summer staple, but I will take it over the "Scent of Peace" any time.

1:01 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting keep up the good work for us providing very good articles that is with good quality

1:35 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that it was remarkably similar to Light Blue (citrus/green apple+dry woody-ambery base) with the salty touch provided by the aldehydes. Same as The Scent of Peace--very commercial, but nicely made.

Vika

7:08 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Faizan,
I agree. Scent of Peace is, as Victoria points out below, very commercial. And that's why, I guess, it sells so well. I too would choose Coney Island over it.

9:07 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Vika,
Is that what makes it salty? Interesting! I too think that it is nicely done. I also think that if some more mainstream brand released it, we'd have been more impressed because it would have seemed more unique compared to other things in the category. It is just that one somehow expects a little more original from a "niche" brand.

9:10 PM EDT  
Blogger marshall p said...

hello, is it ok if I add a link to your blog to my blog?

from,
marshall

9:51 PM EDT  
Blogger Juvy Santos said...

I thought Coney Island was Michel Almairac? I might isn't that what the original press releases said? Hmm.

Anywho, I do like Coney Island, very light, perfect for hot summer days...and yes, Scent of Peace is quite commercial, but very very wearable and stays a nice, true grapefruit.

9:35 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

A,
Wow, you are right. It did say Almairac. Well spotted. Strange, huh?

10:41 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home