Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Strange Invisible Perfumes Aquarian Roses, Epic Gardenia and Urban Lily


By Tom

This weekend I went to Strange Invisible Perfumes store on Abbott Kinney in Venice to sniff these three new fragrances, which will premiere next month. That, and there were cupcakes.

Aquarian Roses list rose, sandalwood and marjoram in its notes. I liked it; it seems unisex and lovely in that, well, Strange Invisible way. The rose weaves in and out, becoming more or less rosey as the stemmy sandalwood and thorny marjoram comes to and fro.

Epic Gardenia really could be accused of false advertising. The gardenia is hardly epic, which is frankly no bad thing. Gardenia can be such a sucker punch scent-wise and frankly if they had done one of those I could have found five others that would do the same dance at (sometimes) half the price. Epic Gardenia is a ghostly one; gauzy and indistinct as a memory, and just as wrenchingly lovely.

However for me the real winner was Urban Lily. I adore lily of the valley, but find that some scents don't get the accord quite right for me. This is somewhat like laying in my parents backyard at home, the scent of lily, cut green grass and earth finally fecund after the long winter frost. It also has a heaping helping of their gorgeous Musc Botanique, which immediately makes it rocket to my list of things to blow the tax refund on (Or here in California, the tax refund IOU).

The three will be available in late March, $210 for 7.5 ml Parfum or $175 for 50 ml Eau de Parfum.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

I would love to smell a ghostly gardenia perfume...trying to imagine such a thing...

9:17 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

It's really lovely- I think you would enjoy it.

11:23 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

I've already plunked down for a bottle of the Aquarian Roses - unsniffed. Gulp! *Really* hoping I love it. Am going to wait and sample the other two before making a decision on them - they both sound divine. However, am thinking I might prefer the oil version of Epic Gardenia, but am currently in deep mourning over the discontinuation of Lady Day. :-(

12:26 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love SIPs and can't wait to try these new ones. I had heard that maybe Epic Gardenia was Lady Day renamed....is that not the case?

Your reviews are lovely and I might have to make the journey from the NW to LA to see her shop in person.

2:26 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy! I wasn't that interested in these, but for some reason they sound really good when you talk about them!

5:23 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

I didn't know they discontinued that one! That's too bad, I liked it a lot..

7:21 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Trish-

I don't think it's the same thing.

7:23 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

They are nice ones!

7:23 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

I'll take one of each please! I am craving realistic florals, I am SO sick of winter. Urban Lily is calling my name...

12:59 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

Urban lily is calling me as well

1:28 PM EST  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

Rat. Rats.

All of the above. Rats, you dirty rat, you've got me all suckered into Urban Lily. I'm sure it's possible I would have fun with Aquarian Roses--and hope to give it a whirl--but now I have a fetching-sounding LOTV to try.

Hmm...wonder if I could make do in the meantime if I layer up some Diorissimo with CB Black March and Gap Grass???? ;)

9:29 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home