Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Laurence Dumont Tendre Madeleine: Perfume Review

"I raised to my lips a spoonful of the cake . . . a shudder ran through my whole body and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary changes that were taking place." Marcel Proust, Remembrance of Things Past

It doesn't take the strongest taste or smell to stir memories. Nor does it take the most complicated one to delight us. Time and time again, I realize that the best things in life are the most simple; petite madeleines are among such things and so are sweet little scents in Laurence Dumont's Gourmandes collection.

Like in food criticism, where, I imagine, it is easier to talk about a complicated haute cuisine creation, describing layers and intricacies of its taste, so in writing about perfume: I talked at length about various complex Lutens fragrances, but I am stumped by an enjoyable straightforwardness of a Dumont. Tendre Madeleine is a soft, delicately sweet vanilla with hints of almond and cinnamon. It starts that way and it does not change. That's it, done with the review. When faced with fragrances like Tendre Madeleine, it is easier to talk in images and emotions: it makes me feel cozy, safe, pleased with the world. It's watching an "aunt dip a little madeleine in the boiling infusion"...it's being cuddled in the arms of someone who won't let anything happen to you...it's cuddling someone small and helpless...it's simple pleasures.

Available at lushoasis.com, $59.00 for 100ml.

Image source, Tuki on flickr.com.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger elle said...

Got a sample of this today and have yet to try it. Must do so before going to sleep tonight. Actually sounds like the perfect scent for falling asleep.

11:25 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I think it's meant to be worn to bed!

11:30 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

this reads so wonderful!

Hope they'll be at Bendel when they open at the Beverly Center

11:51 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
It's fluffity-fluff, but everyone needs at least one like that in their collection, right?

11:53 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I like fluffity-fluff. Even if I only wear it to bed. And the price-point makes it guilt-free, right?

12:15 AM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

You had to quote Proust;) I am done for.
I must have this.....

12:30 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Beth,
HA! My work here is done then. :-)

12:32 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anasstasia said...

If only all it took to be "cozy, safe and pleased with the world" were a bottle of Dumont's creation! Do you think you could arrange for the great creator to inject some into wandering clouds and let it rain down over the globe? Maybe then we'd have peace on earth- in lands where war is the reaper and in our own families, when dissonance rents our souls.
Please send a bottle to the Almighty, when you get a chance!

1:03 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Anasstasia,
Funny, I was just preparing a sample package for the supreme being. I will include TM. (S)he also wanted to smell some new ouds. Do you have suggestions? :-) Ouds are peaceful too...

1:11 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anasstasia said...

Columbina- there are 2 new Oud sites that have a really nice selection and excellent customer service- Oudhasi.com and AgarAura.com. I highly recommend Oudhasi's Assam 15 and Assam Flora. I'm excitedly waiting for samples from AgarAura and would be happy to share my thoughts when they arrive!

1:22 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Anasstasia,
If only one could smell those in NYC...*sigh*

8:40 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those cookies look good....I need sugar....anyway, I think we all have those go-to comfort scents. Mine are PG's Un Crime Exotique and Tan Giaducelli's Annam.....the latter is sadly discontinued.

lovethescents

1:22 PM EDT  
Anonymous Flora said...

Sounds yummy to me! Comfort scents are good in any "flavor!"

6:08 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

S,
I adore Un Crime as well!

8:05 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
I totally agree!

8:06 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home