Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Comme des Garçons Dover Street Market

By Tom

First: The winners of the Calvin Klein draw are Marko and Diana.

Please use the "Contact Us" button so I can pass your info to the nice people at CK.

Now, to the review.

Comme des Garçons is a house that I really love. They are fearless about putting out scents that define their brand, even if they can range from pretty odd, to kind of strange. Dover Street Market was created to celebrate their store in the Piccadilly section of London. I've never been there so I can't say whether it's an accurate scent portrayal of the area, but I can write that it's a winner; it's very wearable with a soupçon of C de G oddness to keep things interesting. It starts with very peppery bergamot and mandarin, then veers from woody to incense back to citrus to pine. According to the designer Rae Kawakubo, he wanted to create an atmosphere of "beautiful chaos". I think that's the best way to describe it.

Even better is the price: $90 for 100ML, at LuckyScent (who I asked for the sample) and the C de G Dover Street Market website

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger lovethescents said...

Now you've got me wanting to try this. Thanks for the review, from both me and my wallet ;-)

2:17 PM EST  
Blogger Scott said...

Tom:
Thanks for the review, yes, I love this new CDG release (although I think you have the wrong bottle photo?). I am wearing Dover Street right now. I agree -- it is definitely in the CDG style, manages to feel familiar and slightly alien all at the same time. I think it's beautiful.
Best, Scott

2:24 PM EST  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Darling...Picadilly is absolutely an area with an atmosphere of beautiful chaos.......it's wonderful and you should go sometime. What you've described sounds just about right! I can't wait to see if they hit it!

3:00 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I aims to please..

4:03 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I think it is the wrong bottle.

"alien & familiar" is a great way to put it!

4:04 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Beth-

One day..

4:04 PM EST  
Blogger elle said...

Great review! Am loving this scent - great transitions and a beautiful dry down. I really do think it's a brilliant olfactory reflection of Picadilly.

9:14 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle, it is lovely

12:53 AM EST  
Blogger Tama said...

I am quickly becoming a real CdG devotee - everything I try is at least interesting, if not downright wantable. This sounds really fun.

And yes, that is the CdG + Artek : Standard bottle, which is also a great scent.

2:15 AM EST  
Anonymous Tommasina said...

Thanks for this; it sound intriguing - and yet another to add to the "must try" list!

Um - is it OK if I point out that the designer in question is a woman, and her first name is Rei? Hope you don't mind...

3:47 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tama-

I love quite a few CdeG scents. Even some of the odder ones like the synthetic series..

5:51 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tommasina-

Point away! I don't mind int he least.

5:52 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

I should pay more attention to the CDG perfumes - when I do try them I am usually pleasantly surprised. This one seems like a really original experience.

12:50 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home