Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

By Kilian Incense Oud Perfume Review

By Marina

Tell me if, upon hearing the name, Incense Oud, you did not immediately imagine a powerhouse of a scent. I certainly was bracing myself for a double impact. Let's face it, neither note is exactly quiet. And since both are usually very dominant in any composition they are in, I was looking forward to witness quite a temperamental drama unfold.

Well, The Taming of the Shrew (or my favorite version, an Italian take on the classic, Il Bisbetico Domato, with Adriano Celentano and Ornella Muti) sort of passionate love-hate scenario was only in my head. The incense and the oud of the new By Kilian fragrance are existing in utter harmony, possibly because both are utterly understated. Perhaps Katharina and Petruchio (or Elia and Lisa) would've become like that, having learned to accept each other's idiosyncrasies, after years of living together. Perhaps not.

In any case, Incense Oud is a soft, warm, cuddly blanket of a scent, as comforting as they come. I would say that incense is somewhat stronger than oud, however, the strongest accord to me is neither of the title ones, but a sandalwoody-ambery blend, which I can smell as soon as the first wonderful hit of spicy, slightly medicinal incense-oud mix in the top notes settles. That medicinal, vaguely valerian-like beginning is my favorite part of the perfume; the comforting base, however, is a delight too. I don't know if I am prepared to pay that much for a comfort scent though, since there are other options available. Would it be like paying the price of a mink throw for a snugglie? Having said all that, this is a graceful scent, masterfully blended with a light hand. I would be curious to hear whether you were disappointed to encounter such a less is more approach in a perfume with incense and oud, from an Arabiain Nights collection or found an understated approach refreshing.

Available at Luckyscent and Bergdorf Goodman, $395.00 for 1.7oz.

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? Huh! Who would have thought this to be a cuddly blanket! Love the association and the movie pic! :)

5:12 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

B,
was a surprise to me, I expected a powerhouse of a scent.

7:22 AM EST  
Blogger Tara said...

I have not yet tried this, but I was really looking forward to a power house as I love incense and starting to come around to oud. Does it have a particularly religious incense feel to it?

9:42 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Tara,
nothing religious for me here, and usually with incense I am immediately in a church :) but if you are just coming round to oud, perhaps, this IS a good starter.

9:47 AM EST  
Anonymous Victoria said...

This one just did not capture my attention. But as you said earlier, it can always be worse. :)

10:08 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

V,
I think it's a very healthy philosophy to follow in perfume testing and life in general :)) because almost always, it could be worse. Almost :)

10:26 AM EST  
Blogger Alyssa said...

You know, I think I must be anosmic to whatever they are using for their Oud notes, because this one is pure Frankincense on me (gorgeously so, but just a one note), the Rose Oud is all roses, and I cannot smell the pure oud one at all...

I keep trying, though! Foolishly.

11:45 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Alyssa,
Wow, I wonder why. Having said that, oud in all 3 is not in an overdose at all. Especially here.

11:47 AM EST  
Anonymous Ashleigh said...

What a great post! I really need to try not only this one in particular, but any scent from the by Kilian line... It's on my radar.

1:12 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Ashleigh,
Rose Oud is wonderful1

1:48 PM EST  
Blogger Scott said...

Marina: I, too, was expecting INCENSE and OUD in all caps, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the warm, cuddly nature. Having done the grab-you-by-the-throat oud in Pure Oud, I am glad for the wearability and understatement of this latest creation. It reminds me most of Jubilation XXV, but whereas XXV sings like a silver sword removed from a gold scabbard, Incense Oud is a deep, furry throw in front of a fire. I love it, and I think it is my favorite By Kilian release to date. The oud is subtle, as in YSL M7, and gives the same "brown" impression without being the least bit challenging or boring.

3:29 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Scott,
I agree! And I love the furry that used to describe it, so on point!

3:33 PM EST  
Blogger Katy Josephine said...

Good to know about this perfume. It sounds lovely, but not extraordinary. For $395, I think I'll pass.

Thanks for the review!

8:16 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Josephine,
Yes, the price is a little steep for a scent of simple comfort.

8:29 AM EST  
Anonymous Ydruts said...

The name does conjure up some pretty potent images. A "warm, cuddly blanket of a scent" sounds delightful! Sandalwood and amber sound like just the thing for these icy and dreary days. Must try it!

9:48 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Ydruts
and then let me know what you think

9:52 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

I better NOT try this because I know I will fall for it!

11:13 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
Yep, stay away :)

7:14 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi love this blog , i av recently started a fragrance & health & beauty review blog if your interested take a look :)
www.loveperfume4eva.blogspot.com

12:54 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home