Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, February 25, 2011

Snow Rose by Floris

By Marina

In creating Snow Rose, Floris took inspiration "from a sunlit unfolding of warmly scented rose petals crystallised within a winter wonderland." This describes quite perfectly Will Ryman's Roses installation on Park Ave. in Manhattan, which, thanks to the non-stop snowpocalypse we've been having, has been covered in snow all winter, and thus, by default, became Snow Roses for the season. They are not scented, but if they were, this is how they could smell.

With it's powdery feel and soft vanillic base, Snow Rose is a comfort scent, and goodness knows, one needs comfort during blizzards. There is a subtle burst of green in the top notes, but I wouldn't call this verdancy cold. It is a winter rose for me exactly because it is warm, not icy. Nor would I like a cold rose anyway.

I appreciate how delicately the powdery quality is done in the composition. On a powderiness scale from 1 to 10, where Talco Delicato is 9 and Teint de Neige 13, Snow Rose is about 6. Which is just right. I am surprised not to see orris among the listed ingredients; to me, the powdery feel of Snow Rose has a certain raw, vaguely earthy characteristic that I usually associate with the note. Sandalwood and vanilla in the drydown are a simple delight. Everything about this perfume is uncomplicatedly lovely and comfy. A comfort scent done with so much understated grace perhaps could only have come from an English brand. My sample of it arrived, fittingly, from England too, kindly sent by Vanessa, who writes one of my favorite blogs, Bonkers About Perfume. In her review of Snow Rose, Vanessa called the scent, "fluffy", which to me is a quality of a comfort scent and thus solidifies the status of Snow Rose as such.

Snow Rose is a limited edition scent, but I do seem to see it on Floris website, £38.00 for 50ml. In the States, it is available at shoplondons.com, $70.00.

Image sources, 1, 3- Huffington Post, 2 -artfeedonline.com, 3- agent j loves agent a on flickr.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Ines said...

A fluffy, comforting rose scent? Mmmm, sounds very good (especially as I'm feeling cold these days).

3:18 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these pictures, the snow-covered roses look wonderfully incongruent. If that perfume smells like this picture, I want to try it for sure.

3:39 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Ines
Winter just wouldn't relent this year...now LA is expecting a snow storm they say?!

5:23 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Birgit
You should, it is such a soft little charmer, if you don't mind a little bit of powder.

5:24 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at first shocked, then giggled, when I first smelled Cefiro, the only Floris I've tried thus far. It seemed at first to me to be a candied lemon confection, and the second impression was the same, but the initial jarring effect had worn off. I'm still dying to try (was it) Indolice (?). I will backtrack and find that website again...it sounds too good to be true!

6:44 AM EST  
Blogger Alyssa said...

I do mind powder, but loved this review anyway. You have really been enjoying that art installation, eh?

12:10 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

JMBalaya
Indolice was by Provides Perfumes Co. :)

1:36 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Alyssa
this is the biggest number of images I have ever put in a review, I think, so yeah! :)

1:36 PM EST  
Blogger Tammy said...

I love rose and I love powder, though I have yet to find a Floris that loved me. Perhaps this will be the one!

2:09 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Tammy
This is the first one for me

2:31 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot say anything about the perfume, but that installment is fantastic! I would take detours to take a look at it.

3:21 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

V
someone somewhere wrote that it looks cheap. Eh. Well it couldn't possibly be made of gold :)

3:22 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite fuzzy jammies fragrances. It's incredibly comforting and long lasting too :-)

Thanks for the review!

lovethescents

10:06 AM EST  
Blogger Ducks said...

Oh! How roses hate my skin, but maybe, maybe, if they are fluffy enough...

1:49 AM EST  
Blogger Vanessa said...

That roses installation captures this scent perfectly - what a lovely enhancement to the streetscape of Manhattan. I am not familiar with Talco Delicato, but I do so agree that Teint de Neige is a 13 on your scale!

: - )

PS Am very happy you like Snow Rose, and thanks for the name check!

7:07 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home