Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Eternally Pretty: Review of Poncet’s Eau Eternelle

By Marla

Sabine Poncet is on to a great fashion idea. She’s creating sets of scarves, jewelry, and perfume, each coordinated with the other. She’s designing these sets slowly, taking her time, consulting with artists and noses to create some really lovely combinations. I like this idea because I always seem to be late when it’s time to dress! And then I spend 15 minutes I don’t have, dithering around with my jewelry box, getting tangled in several shirts I seem to have tried on all at once, always forgetting a nice scarf or accessory, because I’m running late! So obviously, Sabine’s idea intrigued me, and I had to contact her.

Her first set is debuting now, and it highlights Monet’s garden in Giverny, and the tropical oceans; bright, pure colors are gleaned from lilies, blue waters, and fish and set in silk and enamel; they are joined by a perfume that I can only describe as, “So pretty!” Most perfumes don’t evoke that childlike reaction from me anymore- when it comes to perfume, I’m so jaded I make Keith Richards look like a little girl….

“Eau Eternelle” has key notes of citrus, Mediterranean herbs, patchouli, sandalwood, and moss. Sounds very brisk, then very heavy, but it’s as light and bright as the silk scarf that it’s paired with. The citrus is soft and misty, the herbs piquant but polite, and the drydown has a nubbly sweetness that’s hard to describe, but quite compelling. It lasts a full day and makes me feel like a chic Frenchwoman enjoying a day on the beach. Since I’m a scruffy, pint-sized American having fun on the beach, I can say this perfume has transformative effects (at least in my mind).

Sabine’s first set can be found on her website at www.s-poncet.com, and Eau Eternelle is debuting on Beautyhabit for $115 for 50ml, at Luckyscent, Scent Bar, and several other locations in the US and Canada.

Sabine tells me her second set of batik silk scarf, jewelry, and perfume will be based on a mysterious oak tree forest in the Loire Valley near her family home, and will feature the colors burgundy, dark purple, and antique pink. About the upcoming perfume, Sabine hints, “In the fall you have the wonderful smell of moist earth and leaves as well as humus from the large variety of mushrooms. You can smell some wild berries, and from the yards nearby, the wonderful scent of juicy pears. This is what I intend to capture in my second scent.”

So my question of the day is, do you deliberately coordinate your jewelry, accessories, and perfume? If not, do you want to try? Reveal your combos in the comments!

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Alnysie said...

I don't think I do so consciously, I mostly choose my fragrance according to what I feel like wearing, but I guess they do end up matching since I choose my clothes/accessories/jewelry based on the same feeling... Although I remember one day when I felt my clothes were a little masculine to my liking, so I wore the heels that I rarely wear and En Passant, which was among the most feminine of my then-samples. I remember the conscious choice and feeling better about my “kit” then. :)

8:13 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

En Passant and heels, that's a good match for sure! I notice that when I'm in the mood for white or ivory clothes, I always reach for a fragrance I think of as "white", such as Fleur du Male, white musk, Mon Numero 1. And when I'm feeling complicated and wearing very dark tones, those are Mitsouko days!
-Marla

8:32 AM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

I agree with Alnysie; I don't think I purposely coordinate everything, but since it is all chosen based on my mood, it probably ( hopefully!) all works well together.

I do occasionally go for complete contrast, generally some big, ridiculous fragrance with a ponytail, baseball cap and jeans. Makes me feel sort of sassy and mischievous.

11:26 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tammy, I know a lot of people who do that. I've gone trail running in old scruffs wearing vintage Femme! ;-)
-Marla

12:28 PM EDT  
Anonymous maggiecat said...

I coordinate a lot of things, but perfume I leave to my own personal whim. I do enjoy the contrast of wearing simple scents with complex outfits, or expensive scents with jeans and a tee. Practicality usually dictates my outfits (business casual as a rule...sigh) but modd dictates my perfume.

1:16 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maggiecat,
It does make sense to me to wear more complicated perfumes (looking at you, Serge!) with simpler outfits (not necessarily more casual, just simpler), so the senses aren't entirely overwhelmed, and can appreciate the contrasts provided.
-Marla

2:36 PM EDT  
Anonymous perfume connection said...

Eau Eternelle is a dazzling perfume composed notes include jasmine, lemon, mandarin, lotus and other fragrant fruit and flowers.

8:55 PM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

Forgot to mention what a wonderful concept this is...and that her upcoming scent sounds fabulous, even with the pear note, which doesn't always work for me.

11:18 PM EDT  
Blogger Taffy said...

I won a sample of Eau Eternelle in a draw and it is an absolutely lovely and elegant fragrance. Definitely makes me feel like I should be wearing a little black dress by Givenchy, like Audrey Hepburn.

11:33 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tammy, I don't get pear in this at all, just a subtle green fruit accord. You know how strongly I feel about pears! ;-)
-Marla

7:12 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taffy,
Yes, it is an Audrey scent, isn't it? It's very classically French, but fun and colorful and quite lighthearted.
-Marla

7:14 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think perfume purchasing on online basis is a little bit difficult without any previous experiment.

send gifts to pakistan

1:57 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fatima,
I totally agree, it is a very good idea to try before buying! Most online sellers will send you a sample of a new product if you send them an email or call. If not, other perfumistas will usually send you a sample, especially if you have something to trade.
-Marla

8:52 AM EDT  
Anonymous Jacqui MacNeill (Escents Aromatherapy Bath and Body) said...

Sounds like a lovely smelling perfume. I love patchouli and sandalwood. I use those essential oils in some of my favourite blends because they're so captivating. Looking forward to checking this perfume out!

8:48 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacqui,
I love patch and sandalwood for a base, too. I have to say that in Eau Eternelle, the drydown is more the "clean" fractions of patch that are on the market now, than natural patchouli. It's a very soft effect. I don't know what was used for the sandalwood note. Again, it's very pastel.
-Marla

8:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

This sounds lovely! Must try one of these days. I don't wear much in the way of accessories, but I do try to match the mood of my outfit and my perfume when possible - even if it's just for going to the grocery store!

12:14 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flora,
I love how the sets help out the dresser- all I'd have to do is put on the perfume and jewelry over a plain top and slacks and look great! For the fashion-challenged, or time-constrained (I'm both), it's a great idea.
-Marla

6:28 AM EDT  
Anonymous Tiffany said...

I'm a one perfume kind of gal, so I don't consciously match my fragrance to my outfit, per se. However, I do think it happens kind of subconsciously! My fragrance matches my personality, as do my clothes and accessories- so they all go together.
I wonder if being a one-perfume lady or a multiple frangrance gal is a learned trait? For instance, my mom has been loyally wearing Yves St Laurent's Opium since the late 70s. She has never tried anything else, and it's become a part of her, almost. She even reads books about it, like "Orgasme... Made in France" by Robert Miller - http://rhmiller.com

I think I adopted a signature fragrance because of her example. I've been wearing Marc Jacobs Daisy since its release and doubt I'll change!

5:41 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiffany,
Daisy is surely a good pick for a daily perfume. I don't know whether or not your theory is true, many perfumistas had moms who hated perfume, and others, who had just that one perfume they wore their whole adult life. Perfumista-ism is a mystery, that's for sure!
-Marla

6:31 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home