Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Celebrating green: Jade and Verde from A Wing and a Prayer Perfumes - And a Prize Draw!

By Donna




Summer may be winding down, but as a fan of green notes in perfume, I enjoy wearing such fragrances all year round and not just when it's hot. I don't usually wear lighter cologne style greens when it's cool, but there are others with all-season versatility. Two new natural scents by A Wing and a Prayer Perfumes are exactly that, and on top of that they are both excellent.

Jade is literally a breath of fresh air with a most delightfully breezy beginning; it's like someone opened a window on a spring morning after a rain and let all the smells of a meadow come rushing in. It has a good dose of lavender in it yet it is not a predominantly lavender fragrance. It is difficult to make this distinctive material play well with others without taking all their toys and lunch money away and hogging the spotlight, but perfumer Jane Cate manages this feat deftly. Rose geranium, which can be too sharp sometimes, is tempered by a soft notes of jasmine, lilac and linden and its own natural affinity to the lavender. Bright citrus notes keep everything vividly alive throughout the life of the perfume. Jade's inspiration was the cool translucent green of celadon jade, a universally pleasing color, and the perfume is just as easy to love.

When I first tested these fragrances, I thought I like Jade better than Verde, but now that I have lived in both of them for a while I find them equally inviting. Verde is drier, more sedate, and although it is more restrained than the exuberant Jade, it has an appealing, puckery juiciness from Meyer lemon and yuzu that persists through the entirety of its development. This is certainly a unisex scent (both of them are, really) and ideal for men who want something clean and citrus-based without resorting to the boredom of mainstream sporty masculines. It is also minty, a leafy, intensely green effect, like the tiny-leaved Corsican mint that grows in damp shady gardens. Fear not the dreaded toothpaste note, for you will not find it here - this is the mint of crushed leaves and iced tea on a hot summer night and is very easy to live with. The galbanum in this perfume is also understated; it is one of my favorite materials, and while it contributes its unique crispness to the composition, it maintains a delicate balance with the rest. If you love a good green scent, you need to try Verde. Its longevity is not as good as Jade's, but that is the nature of this style of perfume, and it is wonderful while it lasts. After all, you can always splash on some more!

I have to mention another upcoming product from this house too – the new White Tea soy candle is on of the nicest scented candles I know of, with a refreshing yet calming lightly green aroma. It will scent a room even if it's not burning, and since it's all-natural it will not be overpowering. This candle will be a holiday limited edition beginning in November, so watch out for it; all products from this house can be purchased at the A Wing and a Prayer Etsy shop.

And now for the best part: A Wing and a Prayer Perfumes is generously offering a ¼ ounce bottle of your choice of either Jade or Verde all natural perfume. (This offer is only open to residents of the continental U.S due to mailing restrictions, so please do not enter if you live elsewhere.) Leave a comment below stating that you would like to be in the draw, and please tell us what other green perfumes you enjoy if you so desire. This draw will be open for one week from the date of this post. Good luck!


Image credit: Leaf design from terawallpaper.com
Disclosure: The perfume samples and candle were sent to me for testing by A Wing and a Prayer Perfumes.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Please enter me for the drawing for Jade.

12:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Walford said...

Please enter me for the drawing for Verde.
The first green I fell for was Fidji by Guy Laroche I think.

1:07 AM EDT  
Blogger Taffy said...

I would choose Jade, although both sound very appealing.

My favorite green (although it has a lot of tomato leaf) right now is Parfum d'Empire's Corsica Furiosa.

1:52 AM EDT  
Blogger Lara said...

Please enter me for the Jade. Love Kenzo's Ca Sent Beau and Dior Escale a Pondichery. Lara Anderson, Lya348@gmail.com

7:03 AM EDT  
Blogger rosarita said...

These both sound great but Jade really appeals to me. I love many green perfumes; year round favorites include Chanel 19 edt and Nicolai Un Temps d'Une Fete. Thanks for the reviews and draw!

8:01 AM EDT  
Blogger Cynthia Mc said...

Please enter me in the drawing for A Wing and A Prayer - Jade. "...cool translucent green of celadon jade." Sounds just wonderful.
Green perfumes are some of my favorites: Bvlgari's Mon Jasmin Noir L'Eau Exquise, their Eau Parfumee au The Vert and Cartier's Baiser Vole come first to mind.

11:34 AM EDT  
Blogger Sharyl Suzanne Morris said...

I'd love to try Verde. My favorite green (so far) is Chanel No. 19. I do live in the US.

11:48 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to be entered for the draw. My favorite green at the moment is Trefle Pur.

4:40 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please put me in the drawing for Jade. I have perfume oil that is grass scent.

6:49 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Please enter me for Verde. Still searching for a good green

9:25 PM EDT  
Blogger Karen said...

Please enter me for the drawing for the Jade. Thanks!

7:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would like to be in the drawing for Jade. I cannot comment on my favorite green because I am just stumbling down the rabbit hole of fine fragrance. I grew up under a cloud of my grandmother's department store perfume, and never knew there was anything else. Anything that wouldn't make my head pound or stuff up my nose or make me want to throw up it was so intense. Then I found Soleil. Later Montale which was strong, but didn't bother me at all. Then I found your blog and am learning so much. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

10:26 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Thanks for your comments everyone! I will take note of your green perfume suggestions. Jill, I am so happy that you have discovered the wonderful world of perfume! :-)

The prize draw is now closed and the winner will be announced shortly. Good luck!

12:03 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Donna. Coincidentally I am wearing Jane Cate's Haight & Ashbury tonight. Jade sounds wonderful. I like green scents including Silences and Cristalle.

9:42 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home