Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Pinup No 1: Lipstick Rose by Frederic Malle

A pinup is a woman whose physical attractiveness would entice one to place a picture of her on a wall. The pinup images could be cut out of magazines or newspapers, or be from postcard or chromo-lithographs. Such photos often appear on calendars or mass produced posters. Other pinups were artwork, often depicting idealized versions of what a beautiful woman should look like. The genre gave rise to several well-known artists specializing in the field, including Alberto Vargas and George Petty, and numerous lesser artists such as Art Frahm.
(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Lipstick Rose is so true to its name, smelling like an expensive, somewhat old-fashioned lipstick, it is almost a novelty scent, almost something a Demeter would produce...Almost, but not quite. To use Andy Warhol's words, this is "a deeply superficial" perfume. Lipstick Rose is a pinup vixen who knows exactly what she is doing and, even before the drydown comes, she drops all the pretence of simplicity and innocence and has us when she wants us, wrapped around her little manicured finger.

The description on the Malle site proves my point about it being a pinup scent (idealized version of a beautiful woman) when it says that Lipstick Rose is the perfumer Ralf Schwieger's vision of glamorized femininity. Lipstick Rose is indeed oh so pretty, appealingly sweet and comfortably powdery, mostly violets on my skin, with a flirty hint of roses. Lasting power is very good on me, over 6 hours, and when the drydown comes, it is a sensual, slightly musky vanilla and amber mix.

This perhaps is not a scent to wear everyday, she is a little bit of a high maintenance, with that sweetness and powderiness, but Lipstick Rose would be just the right accomplice when you want to go, see, conquer and wrap them around your little finger.



Lipstick Rose is available from Editions de Parfum or Barneys, $140.00 for 100ml

* The Paintings: first, name unknown, by Billy de Vorss, second, Real Cute by Al Buell

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Yet another perfume that I admire greatly but that is so far from my personality that I feel like an imposter wearing it. I am SO not a pinup girl! I manage to be very high maintenance anyway, in my own way ;-)

9:31 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you N!!
I love Lipstick Rose, but it is not something I can wear often. It is an occasion scent, I need to feel that I am dressed up and made up enough to "fit" the scent :-)

10:38 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R., I like to imagine that there is a side of me that matches the presonality of Lipstick Rose, but it is pretty much dormant these days. I must be dressed up to the nines in order not to feel like an imposter to wear LR. I can't wear it home, with shorts and t-shirt, for example. It is a demanding scent. :-)

10:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

*Spritzes some Lipstick Rose in the general direction of lovely V.*
Spasibo, Vikochka.

12:03 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All you needed to know, and never knew about Lipstick are mentioned in this article. Read it to confirm our views!

3:18 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home