Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Eau des Iles by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier



I decided to review Eau des Iles right after the description of my hunt for a perfect coffee scent, since it was sampled during that hunt, as a fragrance that allegedly contains a coffee note. There was no coffee in it to my nose, but the scent itself is so remarkable that it must be mentioned anyway.

According to Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Eau des Iles takes the wearer to “perfume islands in which coffee fragrances intermingle with stately rare woods and smooth exotic flowers that have a strange beauty of their own.” According to me, those islands are situated in restaurants specializing in (Trans) Caucasian cuisine.

Never before had a perfume made me this hungry. Eau des Iles puts me in a mood for Georgian or Armenian food, for meat marinated in herbs and spices and then barbequed till it is nice and dark on the outside. Salivating yet? So was I. However I am not sure I want to smell like a juicy almost burned shashlyk.

Eau des Iles is the smokiest perfume I have ever tried. The description promises “an astonishing olfactory discovery”, and for once a description does not mislead. But it does not prepare you for the fact that the “spices, wood, coffee, ylang ylang, patchouli” combine to produce an incredibly burnt smell. The smell is not unpleasant, not at all, but it is nothing I can ever imagine wearing on my skin. The fragrance is rather tenacious and the lasting power is superb. Applied at noon, the smoky aroma is still going strong six hours later. When it finally subsides, the residual scent is alike the smell that your skin, hair and clothes have when you spend some time in front of the campfire…Top marks for uniqueness. Nil pointe for wearability.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Vikochka, I can only imagine how wonderful you stepmother's shashlyk must be...even my dad's is good and he is only Russian :-) *salivating at the thought*

When you mentioned that you are not a big MPG fan I almost wrote that I am neither and then I thought back and you know, there are at least 4 of their scents that I would love to have bottle of, Or des Indes (love!), Rose Muskissime, Magnolia Pourpre and Rose Opulente.

1:28 PM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

That is the same rating I would give MPG Route du Vetiver, which I've been struggling to like recently. Very unique, not wearable.

2:27 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

I am beginning to apprecate vetiver note...I know you are a fan, R., right? SL Vetiver Oriental was the one that started it all...I will have to find a sample of Route du Vetiver, I don't mind unwearable as long as it is unique :-)

2:30 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to see you guys review Maitre Parfumeur's Eau de Mure. It's one of my favoritest favorites, and I want to see if we agree.

1:42 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Eau des Iles. I agree that perhaps it wouldn't suit many people, but it works a charm on me.

8:37 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home