Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Perfume Review: Lalique Le Parfum

Le Parfum, Lalique’s 2005 release, was created by Dominique Ropion, and is a surprisingly soft, understated scent with a beautiful, gently-spicy top accord, candied floral heart and a velvety vanillic drydown. “Surprisingly”, because it lacks Ropion’s usual bold generosity of touch. There is none of the unrestrained, audacious headiness of Amarige or Carnal Flower, none of the brutal sumptuousness of Une Fleur de Cassie. Le Parfum is rich and luxurious, don’t take me wrong, but it is also quite delicate and, dare I say it, neutral. Although I am often prone to use the word “neutral” in a negative sense, in regards to fragrances, where Le Parfum is concerned, it is actually a compliment. The lushness of Le Parfum is cozy and comfortable, and would go as well with an evening dress as with one’s favorite jeans and a t-shirt. I guess what I am trying to say in so many words, is that I find Le Parfum to be very versatile and very wearable.

Is it amazingly original? Not really. The almost-gourmand sweetness of the top notes reminded me of my beloved Flowerbomb Extreme. The heliotrope-cumin-vanilla combo of the middle stage is slightly reminiscent of Sira des Indes, without the animalic quality of the latter. Jasmine mixed with vanilla and sparkled with some pink pepper is quite frankly a bit of a cliché. Still, Le Parfum is undeniably pretty. The bergamot-bay-leaf- pepper top accord is joyful, vivacious. The slightly powdery, floral heart is elegant and soft. The drydown of vanilla, tonka, sandalwood and musk is enveloping and pleasantly fluffy. The truth is that a perfume does not always have to be strikingly unique to be beautiful and satisfying. I liked Le Parfum so much, I actually got a bottle.

Le Parfum de Lalique does not seem to be officially available in the US (yet?). It is, however, sold on Parfum1, $32.95-45.95.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fluffy! Yes! Perfect word for it. Like whipped cream. You stinker (pun intended), you put me up to it again - Parfum1, here I come! Oh, actually, it is available at Lalique boutiques but I haven't seen it in other stores yet. Wonderful review! :)

12:50 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say that if I hadn't tried Le parfum many times in the store, I'd go and buy it unsniffed right away after reading your review. the last time I sniffed it, it seemed like a very noble wintery perfume indeed, but something bothered me-maybe slight bitterness under which the fluffiness is lurking but never completely revealed?
I must go and try it again soon, maybe my nose has changed its mind in the meantime. I do love the bottle, though, a very heavy one, worth standing on your vanity table.
I'm so sorry that Lalique discontinued one of their perfumes that I loved 12 years ago, "Nilang". it was a gorgeous, sweet gourmand-floral (I know you're yawning, but it *was* charming), a heady but still very charming one. I bought a bottle (and spritzed the last drop out of it) but havent's seen it in stores ever since.

4:29 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

"Neutral" is a word that when associated w/ fragrances usually has me running for the hills - at top speed. However, you've actually managed to convince me that this is something I really think I must have. Besides, the price is right (very) and the bottle is beautiful. Great review!

6:45 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you love Flowerbomb Extreme so much, why not a review yet? I want to know of all your beloved(s)!!! I like Flowerbomb too but since I hate flowers and never saw too muc about it I thought I was crazy. I will have to smell the extreme version and since I am a vanilla lover, lover of soft squishy stuff I will buy this unsniffed right now!

7:05 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Somehow they were missing this one at the Lalique boutique when I was visiting Ina in Chicago, although I thought a couple of the others were quite nice. Now I'm feeling like I may have missed out on more than I realized!

7:38 AM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Again, you describe olfactory delights that appeal.

Thanks for the Parfum1 site- I perused it and eyemarked some good buys for future parfumlust...sigh...

Thank you, Colombina!

[P.S.- a Colombian girlfriend told me this w/e, that your name means "Lollipop" over there- I'm sure Mr. C. will howl over that!]

love to you and yours-

7:53 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Wonderful review. Ok, you motivated me to try a sample of the EdP that I had. Very pretty--I especially like the drydown--but I'm not motivated yet to click on Parfum1. Of course, I'm trying NOT to buy b/c I just spent a fortune in NY. . . but I wonder what the parfum is like (richer?)

8:15 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
You have only yourself to blame. There I was, very unhappy, thinking it is sold out on IP and not available anywhere else for a reasonable price...and then *you* told me where to find it! For which I am very thankful!

9:29 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tina,
Noble is a great word to describe it. Understatedly noble. You know, the bitterness of which you speak is probably what keeps me interesting it this :-D It might be one or more of these, pink pepper, bay leaf, cumin, that are bothering you. Perhaps if you try it again, your perception would be different? Fingers crossed.

9:31 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Elle,
The price is so right that even if the juice bores you to tears, you'd still have a pretty bottle :-) I don't think you'll fall madly in love with Le Parfum, but you'd probably at least like it. It is very likeable :-)

9:33 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
I think it is quite safe for me to recommend it to you of all people. I really think you'd like it!

9:33 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Dear Anonymous,
I will review Flowerbomb Extereme soon :-) I am not a big fan of the regular Flowerbomb, but the Extreme version charmed me. It is a shame it is discontinued!

9:35 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
It's not *that" special, but it is certainly worth a sniff. I anticipate that when my bottle comes in, it will become one of those scents to which I turn when I don't know *what* I want to wear, you know?

9:36 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Chaya,
Parfum1 is a great site and for some reason I always forget about it when I look for bargains. Big mistake. Keep a watchful eye on it, sometimes they have great deals there. Like Le Parfumd e Lalique for $32 :-)
Signed,
Lollipop (what a cute name, actually)

9:38 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
I am sure the parfum is to die for. Have you seen the price on escentual.co.uk? Yikes.
I wouldn't think that Le Parfum is "your thing". not that you'd dislike it, but it's not something that would wow you, I think. One tiny little part of me that isn't your scent-twin likes this :-)

9:39 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colombina, any thoughts on where I could find this Flowerbomb Extreme even though it is discontinued? My interest is peaked.

10:13 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

I got mine on Ebay, from abroad. That is the only way, I am afraid, since it is discontinued and not sold in any stores anymore. And as a SA at Saks told me once, they are never brining it back. :-(

10:15 AM EDT  
Blogger priscilla said...

Oh, this sounds quite pretty...and affordable! I like that combination!

10:57 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

P,
It is very pretty, and, because Parfum1 has it at such a discount, it is very affordable. If you look at escentual.co.uk...mamma mia! :-)

1:01 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Right now my default fragrance has become Jil Sander 4. When nothing else is right, it seems to be. I am looking forward to seeing how it flies in cooler weather.

8:52 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
Oh, you and your Jil. I sniffed and I sniffed and I wish I ggot that wonderful, almots-The-Golden-Pearl thing you are getting there :-)

10:33 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home