Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Bath and Body. Seboni Fistral Sea and Heligan Maze body lotions

I seldom if ever talk about bath and body products. I decided to remedy that and write about those that first and foremost smell great. Of course I do require my lotions to moisturize well and my shower gels to foam nicely and not to dry my skin, but, as a perfume junkie, what I am looking for in my bath and body products is firstly a nice smell. Two body lotions by Seboni, Heligan Haze and Fistral Sea, certainly meet that requirement. Seboni (Cornish for “lathering soap”) is a collection of bath, body and hair products inspired by the scents and sights of Cornwall, South West England. They are described as “completely free of any artificial fragrances, parabens, lanolins, harsh detergents and animal products”, and are said to contain “only botanical based ingredients and essential oils”.

Fistral Sea, a blend of lavender, cedar, chamomile, mandarin, myrtle and armoise is supposed to evoke "a walk on the rugged Cornish coast", and, without smelling in the least aquatic, it actually does somehow manage to make me think of the sea and the rocks and the dramatic, grey sky. It smells amazing, woody, herbal, slightly citrusy, very delicately sweet and not in the least sharp or overly fresh, as many sea-inspired products are prone to do. According to Seboni, this scent “relieves emotional tension, anxiety, fear, stress, depression, and anger”…a very useful quality for the high-strung, forever stressed little me. I have only started using it, and who knows, perhaps it does all that it says, but the rather ambitious promises aside, the lotion absorbs into my skin fast, does not leave an oily film (something that I hate) and moisturizes quite well. It also layers nicely with musks, smoky scents like L’Eau du Navigateur and leathers.

Heligan Haze. Another stunning scent, this one with notes of lavender, sage, thyme, rosemary, juniper, dill, cypress and geranium. Inspired by “the scent of fresh herbs, mixing with fragrant heather and juniper along the valleys of the Cornish coast”, the fragrance of Heligan Haze products is said to promote clarity of mind (yes, please!) and alertness and to counteract emotional tension (I’d love that!). All I can say about that, like Fistral Sea, this scent certainly does have a nice, calming, comforting effect on me. It smells dry, very herbal, woody…in fact it smells like it was created to be layered with Caron Yatagan or Diptyque Virgilio. I must add that I'd highly recommend that men try these two lines of products, since both scents strike me as firmly unisex, there is nothing even remotely girly, flowery and/or sweet about these two very "atmospheric" Cornish creations with names that make me think of Wuthering Heights.

Heligan Haze and Fistral Sea lotions (as well as bath & shower gels, shampoos, conditioners, etc, etc.) are available at beautyexclusive.com, $35.00 for 8.5oz. The Seboni line also includes Citrus Grass and Ladock Woods products, the latter is said to smell of patchouli, oakmoss, birch, clary sage, orange, vetiver and geranium and sounds like a must try for me.

19 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Olga said...

Funny you should mention Yatagan today. I just posted a litte ditty about this scent at Spoofume.
Not particularly polite but not terribly snarky. Just some god old Visigothic huimor.

11:55 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Like you , I adore bath goo- my main thing is that it smells good. My first place here in LA had a great bathroom: built in the 20's, I could really soak. The place I live in now was built in the 50's and has a tub that is more like a birdbath. The thing I'd spend Lotto winnings on would be a tub about the size of a lap pool, then I could get seriously back into the bubblebath/ bath salts groove.

In an aside, can someone explain to me why it is that despite the fact that people are getting taller, tubs hold about three gallons and toilets are two feet off the ground? I've been to the local high-end bath and kitchen store and I have to wonder

12:00 AM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Yum, yum...they sound wonderful, Marinushka...thanks for the heads-up !

Also, beware the FF, who is naughty beyond comprehension, and a Tom Lehrer addict to boot [not unlike myself !]-"Ohh... good morning, FF"... says sheepishly ..
{nudge, nudge, wink,wink]

6:45 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

They layer well w/ my favorite scents and the names sound like something from Wuthering Heights...could they possibly *not* be swoon worthy? No. Thanks for posting! *Must* have them!

7:46 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

FF,
I read it yesterday on Basenotes, I believe. It was great! Can't wait for the next one.

9:04 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
We live in the place that was built in the 50's too, and the bathtubs are small and the showers are...I don't know, they always make me think of Rosemary's Baby for some reason :-D

Having said that, these are lotions, so you don't have a big tub to use them.

9:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Chaya,
FF is very talented and I only hope she never turns her snarky genuis against me :-D

9:08 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I layered Fistral Sea with L'eau du Navigateur yesterday. The names were just asking for it. great combo. I am very impressed with FS particularly, with the scent I mean.

9:09 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

My love of bath and body products is big and these sound so nice.

11:59 AM EDT  
Blogger Lisa Olga said...

Never fear, dear Colombina. Spoofume plays by rules believe it or not. From my guidlines right there on the blog (in case anyone else wants to contribute something witty or snarky)

No snarking directly and/or personally on those not making a living from the creation/buying/selling of fragrance products or on those engaging in the tertiary market (decant sellers etc). Why? because thems is us or could be us. Snark on behavior all you want. Snark on lemmings, and blind buys, and obsessive spending, and over-application all you want, just don't bring names into it unless we're the ones lining their pockets. If you want to write roman a clef, it had best be very very well cloaked.

So Spoofume is not about personal attack. I don't want to deal with any of that. It's more about the absurd side of perfume...because everything has an absurd side, and this one is all too little explored.

12:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Jennifer,
These are nice and I am very curious about the other two I have tried yet, especially the woody one.

1:17 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

FF,
"Because thems is us or could be us"- the truer words have never been spoken! :-)

1:18 PM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Marinushka-

I ASKED FF to marry me...that's how enchanting I think she is...

AND-

FF, you must know by now that I think you're the cat's nuts [a mixed metaphor of my Bubbe's- her English wasn't the best !]...

2:54 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Chaya,
Aww :-)
Is Bubbe a grandmother? Sorry for my ignorance!

5:34 PM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Exactly, ma fille, zlata...like Babushka !

8:03 PM EDT  
Blogger katiedid said...

Wow, this is a new brand to me. Never heard of it before. Sounds just lovely, dear. I've yet to burn throught the million and a half soaps, gels, and lotions I already have stockpiled (stockpiled because I WANT to try new stuff, but inevitably revert to using Pre de Provence's Linden soap always) but these sound so delish I need to stick them on the lemming list now.

8:47 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Chaya,
Ah! I thought so! Bubbes/babushkas/grandmas are the best.

8:49 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
Apart from all the moisturising stuff that, lets face it, most moisturisers do anyway, these two smell amazing. I think you might especially like Fistral Sea.

8:50 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moisturizers, and all skin care products for that matter, should at least leave a nice scent when used. It doesn't have to be too strong though.

5:20 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home