Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, September 05, 2008

Perfume Review: Gucci Pour Homme

"The woman, inhaling the perfumes employed by the man, becomes intoxicated; and the use of scents has often proved a strong help to man, and assisted him in getting possession of a woman." The Perfumed Garden, Sheikh Nefzaoui.


If Gucci Pour Homme came to life, he would have been someone I'd fall head over heels for, because, let's see...of course, he would be tall, dark and gorgeous...I might not like him right from the start, in fact I might hate him first, the arrogant son of a gun...and the relationship wouldn't be easy at all, as he would be intense, moody and the "my way or no way" kind of guy... but hey, there is nothing like a little bit of hate to prevent passion from settling into the too-comfortable ever-after. Having said that, although I imagine that Gucci Pour Homme Personified would have been irresistibly attractive but difficult, someone I'd want to hate but wouldn't be able not to love...my relationship with the perfume is nothing but uncomplicated love. And although I imagine it coming to life as a man and although it smells Fantastic on a male, Gucci Pour Homme is a scent I enjoy wearing and would recommend to any woman who loves her fragrances dark, intense and smoky.

It starts with an accord that is lighter in feel that the rest of the fragrance, but already fairly dark: a sweetly-piquant mix of spices, with the tingly deliciousness of ginger being especially apparent to my nose. The light is being continuously dimmed...the orris, which keeps the potentially sharp angles of this spicy-incensey composition soft, is a twilight note, compelling, elusive and full of whispered promises..the amber note is darker still, a rich note with an earthy, leathery undertone that is tres sexy...and when the heavy curtain of incense, the star note in the blend, falls, it cuts off the light completely, and nowhere would I'd rather be than in this beautiful darkness. I adore the incense in Gucci Pour Homme. The usually ascetic note is made sensual here by orris and amber, and the hints of sweet spice, which linger long into the drydown, add a vaguely gourmand undertone to the perfume...I can think of very few masculine scents that are this alluring (and, paradoxically, given the unquestionable, darkly-seductive masculinity, this wearable for a woman).

Gucci Pour Homme is available at Sephora, $65.00 for 3.4oz.

Coming next week: review of Chanel Beige.

(To those who have been wondering, the image is by the bad boy of photography, Terry Richardson, from Vogue Nippon, the editorial entitled The Life Style of the Rich and Famous. The models are Julia Stegner and Evandro Soldai.)

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Неплохое начало дня ) Вот подумалось: в прошлом возлюбленных и ненавистных увековечивали в поэмах. В наши дни - в блогах. А вообще, некода мне болтать, надо бежать скупать гуччипуром )

9:58 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

А мне вот вспомнилась, читая ваш коммент, Аноним, песня Карли Саймон, которая про тщеславие :-)

10:02 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

I'm assuming our Sephoras are all closed by now. If not, I'd be racing out to purchase this. How have I missed it? It sounds beyond divine. MUST find a way to get to Sephora tomorrow. Early.

10:31 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I can't BELIEVE you haven't tried it! :-) you will love it. If there are no bottles to be found because someone bought up all of them, I will get you a sample.

10:44 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent write up Marina. I hope the "Boys" read this in numbers; the Gucci is indeed a wonderful fragrance.
I'd like to suggest, on the basis of your love for the Gucci, a couple of other fragrances I think will strike your fancy:
Rochas Lui; Lalique pour homme - Le Lion; Carven Homme.

I hope you'll find them equally to your interest too.
Karthic.

11:59 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Ooohh, I think I want to meet this "Personified" man.... yummy review!

1:15 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Karthic,
To my shame, I haven't tried those three, so I definitely will

6:43 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
I am glad you liked :-)

6:43 AM EDT  
Blogger Robert said...

Beautiful review (natch). There are very few masculines that I prefer over this: it is perfect in almost any weather and situation.

9:30 AM EDT  
Blogger TrippleJN said...

That photo caught my attention!

A really evocative description. Although I'm sure I'd class with him, since I'm moody and intense myself.

I'd be interested to see if this would work on my husband...tall, slender, calm, sensitive...blond! Could he be any different? But with a definite sarcastic edge.

10:26 AM EDT  
Blogger TrippleJN said...

Meant clash, not class.

10:27 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marina,
No shame at all in leaving oneself open to the pleasures of discovery.
I hope you enjoy the said scents as much as I have.
I'll add on a couple that earlier escaped my attention:
Gianfranco Ferre for Man and Pontaccio 21 - again by Ferre.

I'd be happy if you could share your experiences with these should you sample them.

12:30 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marina,
No shame at all in leaving oneself open to the pleasures of discovery.
I hope you enjoy the said scents as much as I have.
I'll add on a couple that earlier escaped my attention:
Gianfranco Ferre for Man and Pontaccio 21 - again by Ferre.

I'd be happy if you could share your experiences with these should you sample them.
Karthic.

12:30 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you have to type in the search engine to find THAT photo I wonder hahahahaha :) You are right on the money with Gucci PH, in that its difficulty is why you fall for it in the end. I originally found it too austere for my tastes but now I find myself craving it from time to time. Thanks for the cool review! :)
-Anthony

3:18 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Monkey
Absolutely perfect, I agree

8:08 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Jenny
I love sarcvstic age, and it would certainly help with this scent :-)

8:11 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Karthic
They all go on my to try list

8:12 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Anthony
Heh, you don't want to know my google history :-)

8:14 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my all-time favorite fragrances, its sexiness makes me melt.

4:30 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Makes me melt too :-)

8:22 PM EDT  
Blogger Recommended Retailers said...

wow what a great three column template makes me want to, well when you say melt, hmmm you have my email http://euphoriaperfume.blogspot.com/

5:10 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ghghg

6:49 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home