Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Meandering...Indult Reve en Cuir

By Tom

"Winter" in Los Angeles is a weird bird. Wild swings (or what we think of as wild being the hot-house flowers we are) of weather are the norms. This week we've gone from rainy Monday through foggy and low 40's Wednesday to Santa Ana's and 80's ever the weekend. I'm not just mentioning this to rub in this fact to people who are having snow. Really. It means that this week I could test the new Luckyscent Indult in everything but sub-tropical Amazon or Antarctic chill.

Reve en Cuir was created by noted perfumer Francis Kurkdjian, with notes of Bergamot, Lemon, Cardamom, Oregano, Clove Bud, Texan Cedarwood, Patchouli, Oak Moss, Haitian Vetyver, Crystallized Vanilla (from the Luckyscent website. The website writes of the scent of having a "rich, indolent feel", and no less than Chandler Burr gives it five stars . At the risk of sounding like a peasant. I don't get it. It's nice. It's pleasant. It's very well done. It's very low-key. I don't see rich or indolent. I don't see elegant earthy qualities or dangerous anything. I frankly don't even get that much leather; it's a vague memory rather than a dream, like remembering a long-ago touch of an expensively gloved hand. It's very, very nice, and very, very not me. It's well put together, subtle to the point of being self-effacing and an epitome of quiet good taste. Were it $100, I'd be thrilled. In this economy, at $250 for 50ML, it seems like a Buick of a scent at a Bentley price.

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

HI Tom - don't you think quiet good taste is overrated sometimes? When I think of a leather scent, I want LOTS of leather, and I want it to be at least a little bit naughty. ;-)

1:00 AM EST  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

I'm inclined to agree, Tom and D.
I feel like an ogress.
And, in the past, I've been called a Philistine [ I beg to differ, of course]...

Don't mistake my intent- it's a beauty, and well-mannered, and exquisite-

But it costs a great deal- one could get a LOT of Tabac Blond, or a FB of Cuir Ambre [ Prada exclusive] for about $150....

It reminds me of a more toned-down Eau D'Hermes, which is more vocal in its leather-spice, with a nice dirty gove as well.
And funk in there, too.

If money were no object, a nice bottle of the Indult , as a gift, would be greatly appreciated.

Barring THAT, I'll just happily sniff my Luckyscent sample.
[That'll do, pig- that'll do...LOL]

7:38 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

Yes I do. I want my leather leathery

1:17 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Chaya-

That's it exactly.

1:18 PM EST  
Blogger helenviolette said...

oh thank goodness! I thought it was just me! I got my sample last week and tore open the package and rubbed it on to be non-plussed and ho-hummed- and I too thought it lacked leathuh....

4:42 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I was anticipating the leather of all leathers and this one is FAR too weak and diaphanous to even begin to hope to be that holy grail.

5:20 PM EST  
Blogger March said...

Tom, I just tried it once yesterday and need to explore further. It started off fairly sweet and faded to a glove suede. But gosh, it was pretty light, and on me that's saying something. I have a larger sample on the way and will douse myself.

5:50 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Helen

Yep

7:20 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Anon-

diaphanous is a good way of putting it.

7:21 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

It's not that it's awful, or even bad. It's perfectly nice. It just didn't do the least bit for me, and certainly not at that price point.

7:22 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Does any one of you know whether luckyscent deliver out of USA? It is such a problem living where I live, although, in the case of Indult, judging by all of your opininions I don't seem to be losing much. Here, in Tel Aviv, I depend mostly - if not solely - on services like those of les senteurs or caron (paris), that agree to send via post.

4:26 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Eleven-

I'm not sure about that. But you could email them directly; they're very nice people.

6:39 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you find out if Luckyscent ships outside of the US or not, could you please let me know as well? I e-mailed them a while back about that and never got a reply. I live in Asia and would love to get their scents; they have such a wonderful selection! Thanks --Jen

12:32 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Natalie-

CLoves? Yikes!

2:43 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Anon-

I will ask.

2:43 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep. this is a very dissappointing and dull fragrance.....i think the people who will love this are the ones who refuse to acknowledge they wasted $250 on this!

11:11 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm nodding and agreeing with all of the above.

I can admire its construction and the quality of the materials, but there's nothing about it that begs to be taken home and loved.

The people at Lucky Scent must be scratching their heads and wondering why there hasn't been a flood of orders . . .

3:48 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home