Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Caron Aimez Moi: Perfume Review

The rediscovery and re-evaluation of 2008 continues in 2009 as I keep falling for scents I used to dislike before. Or, in the case of Aimez Moi, used to loathe, absolutely loathe. Everything about it was wrong, from the heavy, burnt sweetness to the prominent anise note to the bunny-boiler name.

Funny how, when we all of a sudden fall in love with something or someone, all that bothered us about them before becomes either a wonderfully attractive feature or a cute quirk. Thus the burnt aspect of Aimez Moi is what I now like about it the most: the heavy cream of honeyed violets, peach, helotrope and tonka beans is generously spiced by cardamom, cloves and anise, and the piquant mix lends the composition a sweetly-smoky quality. To balance the fire with ice and to, simultaneously, underscore the chilly side of anise and cardamom, there is mint. The effect is complex; the composition develops slowly, at a sensual, leisurely pace. Unlike before, I now see anise not as a second most prominent note after violets, but as a beautifully balanced part of a hot-cold spicy accord. It does not bother me in the least, in fact, anisophobic as I am, I find it utterly delectable in the candied pudding of Aimez Moi. I tried the Ropion's creation in eau de toilette and found it, as with most of his perfumes, to be very rich and long-lasting, with the kind of sillage that I adore: the one that envelopes the wearer in the most delicate of gauze and is always present although never overwhelming. Aimez Moi is floral, gourmand, fruity, oriental... it is a multi-faceted golden and purple gem of a scent. It longs to be loved, and it is impossible not to love it.

Which brings me to the subject of the name. It reminds me of one of my favorite songs, Lovefool by The Cardingans...And when you are a fool for love, "love me love me" IS what you keep saying like a mantra...although perhaps not out loud. And this week one is expected to be romantic. So let us, shall we?



Aimez Moi is widely available online, fairly inexpensively.

Image is by John-Paul Pietrus.

Labels: , , , ,

29 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

So, the Carons are finally coming to get you.... :-D

I love this one but I have never worn it, I just sniff it it from the bottle at my favorite shop - I want it in Extrait but that's a dream yet to come true as it is with most Carons.

12:47 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your powerful and luscious description ALMOST makes me want to try it again. But that burnt edge really scared me. . .

1:16 AM EST  
Blogger krnszn said...

BUNNY BOILER!!!!!???? Ha ha ha! That was funny. :-) Haven't tried Aimez Moi, but sounds like I need to get my hands on it.

7:20 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
yep, they are coming to get me right on the heels of the Guerlains :-)

8:16 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Quinn,
You know, that burnt edge was what scared me the most the first time now and what I love the most this time around.

8:16 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Karin,
tee hee :-) You do need to try it, and tell us of you love it or hate it. I think it's that kind of scent when it's either one or the other.

8:17 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

I fell in love w/ this for approximately two seconds when it first came out. During that tiny window of opportunity I somehow let a very convincing SA sell me a bottle and by the time I got home I was already out of love w/ it. However, it still sits in the back of my perfume closet, sadly ignored. Think now may be the time to go give it some attention and see if I can work up any love again.

10:00 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
Now that I love it, no LOVE it, it is hard for me to imaging that you wouldn't. In a sense that..who could not love this gorgeous thang? :-)

10:01 AM EST  
Blogger Ducks said...

This sounds right up my alley. I LIKE fire and candy. I wonder why I haven't sniffed it yet? I'll have to rush out and find some. :)

11:16 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Linda,
Fire and Candy, I like that description. Sounds like some kind of a risque club :-)

11:18 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, another one we come to agree on!

12:15 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Robin,
One more, and the fragile balance will be broken and the world will finally end.

12:17 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you again for this beautifully written review. It makes me want to try it although I haven't had any success with Carons. The minty part really made me raise my eyebrows!

Lovethescents

12:27 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

S,
I would love to hear what you think of it, when you get to try it.

12:35 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't comment on Aimez Moi (Carons don't love me), but I adore Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet, and the entire sound-track is terrific! Must see (and hear) this movie again soon. Thanks for the clip!
Karen G.

12:56 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Очень хотелось бы понюхать такое странное творение. У тебя есть?

1:03 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Karen,
I love the movie and the soundtrack too :-)

1:04 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Аноним,
Это явно вопрос с подоплекой. Не скажу.

1:05 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Значит, нет. Значит, будет )

1:07 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Ведите себя прилично, Аноним.

1:08 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh- I'd forgotten that you hate anise (when I read your facebook status about being in the mood for Aimez moi..:))..The anise bit used to bother me a teeny teeny bit..But I ' almost' love this scent (though I still can't find my bottle. I'm hoping I haven't left it at my parents' place (in India) when I went visiting)..
I actually end up wearing Aimez Moi in summer as when sprayed lightly it smells very cool/cold to my nose.I was surprised when I read a reviewer(I think it was Victoria) calling it a warm scent. Then, one time I sprayed my arm liberally and that is when I 'got' the warmth!..:)

3:24 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Lavanya,
I hope you will find the bottle! Interesting about it being cold. To me it was always just an aspect of it. Overall it is a very warm scent on me.

3:27 PM EST  
Blogger danush said...

Oh, interestingly enough, I fell in love with it, though it's not quite my taste..Do you find it someway similar to Apres L'Ondee? I do, maybe it's the powdery-sweet-but-still-translusent quality..And I was in love with Baz Luhrmann's movie and DiCaprio more than 10 years ago...

5:08 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Danush,
Has it been that long? Scary.
Apres L'Ondee...maybe in a very vague way, yes, it does.

5:17 PM EST  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Sigh. I love the beginning. I like the middle. And then it's over between us.

But I keep trying.

6:53 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Alyssa,
Story of many a relationship *sigh* :-))

6:55 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aimez Moi begins like a cold morning early in spring, then morphs into the sunny afternoon. I often reach for it before it gets hot - it's a sticky mess in the Texas heat. Love it in spring and autumn.
Texas_Snow

9:43 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my cousin's scent for the moment.

8:58 PM EST  
Blogger Ducks said...

Marina, I finally got my bottle and... oh, you are right. It is the most wonderful violet on me, with warmly vanillic candy cooled by that anisic mint... beautiful. Thank you for what will surely become a staple.

7:48 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home