Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Budget Beauty: Quartz by Molyneux

by Tom

Edward Molyneux was an Irish/Frenchman who started a couture house in London. He was known for clothes that had a certain flair to them; a touch of theatricality that was almost Hollywood Glam, but filtered through a veil of European refinement. He had previously dressed such luminaries as Garbo and Vivien Leigh, retired in the 50s, returned to fashion with ready-to-wear in the 60s only to retire again in 1969. His Studio Molyneux continued under the direction of his cousin until it closed the year Quartz was introduced. I honestly don't know if he had much or anything to do with the scent that bears the name of his house or even if he smelled it, but it seems perfect for his house. I reeks of, well, well-bred flamboyance seems the best way to put it.

It's a fruity floral, but I hate to type that because it brings to mind one of those gawawful celeb scents like Britny's Midnight Froot Bowl and this is 180 degrees from that. The notes of white flowers, peach, aldehydes (I think) and sparkly citrus are delightful: youthful but ladylike, with a lovely light woody amber drydown. It's no more me than a sundress and espadrilles, but if you're looking for a really lovely, inexpensive summery scent then Quartz might be for you.

Quartz is available at shockingly low prices on the internets. Amazon has it for a little over $30 for 3.4 oz. My sample came from my friend Sue's bottle.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Vintage Lady said...

I smelled Quartz by Molyneux long ago, and I liked it very much. It is strange, I had forgotten about it!

5:28 AM EST  
Anonymous Marian said...

I'd love to smell it, if only because of its connection with such a glamorous house. I'm surprised that the packaging is so, uh, understated.

9:10 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had a small 1oz bottle of Quartz on my "watch" list at ebay for about ten days now. Should just go ahead and pull the trigger, it's about $12. Worth that, right?

I don't suppose you could compare this to the first (C Becker-composed) Ines de la Fressange? Love that one. It's girly as heck, though: aldehydes, citrus, peach, rose-jasmine, soft woody drydown. Feels like a mimosa brunch and gossip with your BFFs.

11:40 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Vintage Lady-

I really like it. It's so inexpensive, too!

6:32 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marian-

That's a nice way of putting it. It's very "Space:1999"

6:33 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Muse-

You could get a full bottle for only about twice that. Just saying'..

6:34 PM EST  
Blogger Vintage Lady said...

Inexpensive? how inexpensive? I don't think I can find this beauty here.

6:50 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Vintage Lady-

Where do you live? I saw it for about $25 on Amazon in the US

10:02 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

ph, I clicked through and saw you're in Spain. Don't know about availability there.

But you can get Lutens Bell Jars shipped, so you have advantages...

10:04 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Tom, I absolutely love this, the perfect summer scent. It's the basil that gets me I think, it's downright addictive!

11:10 PM EST  
Blogger Vintage Lady said...

I can try and see if there is a lost bottle on an old perfume shop from perhaps the 90s? I have no idea. About Lutens, that is an advantage , yes, but here I was talking about Molyneux:-) so this is something I will try. and I don't want to buy a miniature. I don't like them much. Thanks for all the info! Yes, I live in Spain which makes me easier to find certain scents but impossible or almost for others. have a scented great day!

6:16 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home