Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cruelty Free: Cravache by Robert Piguet

By Tom

Unlike Marina, I've never had the pleasure of smelling the original version of this 2007 reissue from the newly revitalized house of Piguet. Reading her description, that's a pity; losing leather in a fragrance is in my opinion never a great idea. On the other hand since that version isn't readily available perhaps it's no bad thing that I don't have to compare that version to the new one.

I've actually been on the fence about this new version of Cravache for a while. For months now I've been casually spritzing myself with it at stores and thinking "really nice, but..." Not that it's not a lovely thing: the bright yet chilly citrus opening is as fresh and crisp as a brand new fine cotton dress shirt and the drydown does some interesting dances between warm spicy patch and cool lavender. It smells good in a masculine and well tailored way that whispers of quiet good taste. It's certainly not about the price, since these days $55 for 1.7 oz is practically like having shoplifting it, especially at places like Neiman Marcus, where you can get into some Clive Christian scents that cost more than a couple months rent.

I suppose that it's just that when the name Piguet is on the bottle I expect a bit more, well, ooomph. Fracas, love it or loathe it certainly isn't lacking in that department and even the new version of Bandit is true enough to the Cellier original to pack a considerable wallop.

But finally I did fall. Bandit and Fracas have that over-the-top film noir vibe to them; were Cravache a film from that era it would be "The Thin Man". You can easily imagine this is what William Powell would smell like as he effortlessly solved some convoluted crime, a Martini never far from reach, a sardonic quip at the ready, and Myrna Loy (wafting Futur no doubt) lounging on the chaise feeding Asta her olive.

Because even I want some quiet good taste once in a while.

$55 for 1.7oz, $85 for 3.4, at Neiman Marcus (where my bottle was purchased), Bergdorf Goodman and others.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger rosarita said...

What a perfect description of The Thin Man! Thanks for making me smile. :)

4:24 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quiet good taste sounds very enticing to me! :) Lovely reminder of a lovely movie, thank you!

6:43 AM EST  
Anonymous *jen said...

Despite what I think is a lukewarm-ish review, I'm interested in trying this one! That's how I know you're a great writer. :)
xoxo,
*jen
o

8:32 AM EST  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

I had to LOL...because I saw the Thin Man up there, and as I was reading, I was completely imagined scenes where Dick Powell would reach for the Fracas, react, and then splash anyway, with subsequent sillage on the dance floor. Or the two of them having a Bandit-off, where they knowingly track each others Bandit sillage effects upon the objects of their interrogations...

But I digress from Cravache. Which I haven't smelled in either iteration. And sounds like perhaps I should. :)

8:56 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Notice his raised eyebrow? And the corner of his mouth with that sardonic little smirk? Great pic for this post.

9:18 AM EST  
Blogger Alyssa said...

What a great post, Tom, thanks for a smile. Can never get enough of Loy and Powell so may have to go sniff it for that reason alone. Maybe drinking a martini while wearing it will provide that little extra oomph. ;)

10:11 AM EST  
Anonymous Victoria said...

Loved the Third Man reference! Cravache ... not so much in the new version.

12:03 PM EST  
Anonymous Severino said...

Excelente!

5:31 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

rosarita-

Thank you!

11:36 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

olfactoria-

I love that series; I hope they don't remake it..

11:36 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

*jen-

It reads lukewarmish, but it's really not. I like it a lot. I'm told that the earlier one had leather, when that would have taken this from like it a lot to "oh daddy"

11:40 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

ScentScelf-

That made me laugh out loud- thanks!

11:41 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Anon-

I wish I'd chosen it..

11:42 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Alyssa-

A Martini adds a little bit to everything. But not more than one. Gin is vicious..

11:44 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Victoria-

I've never smelled the old one. I don't want to, since I'd sure I'd love it..

11:46 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Severino-

Thanks

11:47 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

I totally agree, she would wear Futur!

Cravache is very nice, but I do wonder what the original was like.

1:17 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home