Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Perfume Review: Thierry Mugler Angel Rose

Angel Rose is the fourth installment in Thierry Mugler’s collection Angel Garden of Stars. According to Thierry Mugler Parfums president Vera Strubi, La Rose Angel “should be the last one in the Garden. We need to keep its precious aspect.” (Cosmeticnews). The creator of The Rose (and original Angel), Olivier Cresp, also feels that the “saga” of Jardin d’Etoiles came to the end, “with the best one for the end to finish the story.” (WWD) I must say that I am relieved to hear that Thierry Mugler might finally move on to pursue other olfactory projects instead of recycling the already existing and already hugely popular scent (I only hope that he does not plan to start producing sequels to his Alien perfume). With what seems to be like a gazillion of different bottle version of Angel, with Angel Innocent and the four Garden Angels, the topic surely is well covered and exhausted.

As for La Rose Angel itself, as Olivier Cresp promised, it is indeed the best of the series. Though the scent is easily recognizable as belonging to the Angel family, the rose brings to it a certain sweet-and-tart quality that I find refreshing and quite appealing. The honeyed fruitiness of the fragrance makes me think of sugared plums and tangerines; the scent is perhaps the sweetest of the Garden quartet, but the sweetness in The Rose is somewhat balanced by that unexpectedly tart rose accord and a hint of pink pepper. Still, people who find Angel in its various incarnations to be too sweet, will most probably have the same problem with La Rose. Those uneasy with patchouli are bound not to like the drydown of Angel Rose, which is quite heavy on the note. Unfortunately, the rose accord disappears before the drydown and in the end we are left with nothing but Angel the original. All that makes me think that non-fans of Angel will not find Angel Rose to be drastically different or more wearable. The lovers of Angel, on the other hand, should be delighted with this new, beautiful, candied-rose version.

Angel Rose will launch worldwide in April and will cost €54 for the 25ml of Eau de Parfum and €64 for the 50ml refill. Right now it is already possible to find some bottles on eBay.

*The photo of Angel Rose is from cosmeticnews.com.

22 Comments:

Blogger tmp00 said...

when I was presented with Angel (the original) at Neiman-Marcus, I have to say I recoiled; I thought it was one of the worst perfumes I had ever smelled. I only ever warmed to it because a friend wore it, and I found it's drydown- that was quite lucious on my friend. Ironic that now one of my trademark scents is also based upon patchouli and chocolate (well, bitter cocao): Borneo 1823.

i can't imagine what rose added into it would add, but like the orginal, I'll wait to smell it on someone to fnd out.

11:30 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

I am quite tired of Angel. It is ubiquitous. So, to me, the only point to this Garden of Stars collection is that they add a little bit of the twist to Angel, make it just a little different and therefore not as boring. So, Rose for example adds this candied and tart floral aspect.
Unfortunately, by the end of the middle stage/drydown, the rose and other things wear off and it's all Angel all over again. :-(

11:38 PM EST  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

since i've never worn angel myself, i figure i could try to give these scents a chance. angel innocent is nice, though (olivia giacobetti) and it is a scent i would wear.

2:47 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Cait,
If you've never worn Angel and if you miraculously escaped smelling Angel on everyone around you :-), in other words, if Angel is not all too familiar to you, you might actually enjoy one of the Garden Angels.

9:12 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
I can't remember if you ever said you like Angel. If you do, you will like this, especially since you like roses. I wouldn't call the drydown bland, it smells exactly like Angel and Angel is anything but bland LOL
If I had to choose one Angel scent for myself, it would have been La Rose.

9:17 AM EST  
Blogger Sexy Sadie said...

I am serching for a scent that smells roses that I can live with, so I am going to check this out.

10:04 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Sadie,
Perhaps you will like this one then. The rose is not very loud here. I think you could live with it :-)

10:32 AM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

Add me to the meh list for the original Angel. But you've made this one sound sufficiently enticing that I will have to try it.

10:38 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
I bet you, you will think this is meh as well. The rose is pretty here but it is gone all too soon.

10:45 AM EST  
Blogger katiedid said...

I am such an Angel lover, and yet thus far haven't cared too much for Angel's children. You know how they say there are no ugly babies? The other floral Angels prove that to be untrue.

However, I still hold out hope that I may well enjoy the Rose, especially after reading this. I look forward to trying it. You have beaten us all to the punch, M!

10:57 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love angels but not the perfume.
i will check out the Borneo 1823 , if i can find where to get a sample.
thanks anna

11:42 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
Aww, poor ugly little angel babies. I think there is a chance you might find The Rose to be the least ugly. I actually thought it was quite pretty. :-)

12:54 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Anna,
Try eBay. That is always the first place where I look for otherwise hard to find scents.

12:55 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Lisa,
That is too scary! Fingers crossed, there will be no more Aliens. Or Angels. :-)

4:41 PM EST  
Blogger Jenny said...

I like the original Angel, I remember the first time I smell this perfume, my sister was wearing it. It smelled wonderful on her. I tried it on my own skin and it smelled like burned sugar on me, a bit smokey. But on her it's soft, sweet amd powdery.

6:20 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Jenny,
I think it smells on me more or less the way you describe it smelling on you. Burnt sweet smell.

8:35 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went off the original Angel a long time ago as so many people wear it - however i'm a big fan of Angel La Rose, the scent is very sexy and although still quite sweet i personally don't find it sickly like the original. The only problem i have is that i find i hav to keep reapplying it throughout the day as i'm not sure if its because my nose has got used to the smell but after a couple of hours i need a top up to be able to keep the scent alive.

11:23 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Online Drugstore - Skin Care and Facial Products - Online Pharmacy. Our Reputable Pharmacy/Drugstore offers a wide range of Reputable designer products including skin care, hair care, fragrances, kids arts and crafts. At unbelievable low prices.

10:59 PM EDT  
Blogger The Daily Connoisseur said...

I tried Angel for the first time the other day and it was SO strong. I haven't given up on it yet however... I am just afraid to wear it in public.

11:39 PM EDT  
Anonymous mugler angel perfume said...

yah love to read it all and i would like to share all these with my other firends too thanks again

9:36 AM EDT  
Anonymous MT International said...

I feel like a honey bee when I spray Angel I can't keep my nose away from it. If you like elegant fragrances, you will adore……..

1:54 PM EDT  
Anonymous home based mlm said...

Nice information. This site is really informative. I will surely bookmark it for future reference. Good work! Keep it up.

9:30 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home