Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Tom Ford Black Orchid

According to Cosmeticnews.com, Tom Ford plans to create “the first true luxury brand of the 21st century”. [I guess brands like Chanel or Hermes are not luxurious enough for Mr. Ford. On a second thought, perhaps Chanel and Hermes never did strive to be seen as luxurious, perhaps their desire is to be chic. Some would say that this is an entirely different quality.] His new fragrance, Black Orchid, seems to be the first step on the way to achieving this ambitious goal. The oriental chypre formulated by Givaudan has notes of jasmine, black gardenia, ylang ylang, the custom-made Tom Ford Black Orchid, more orchid, patchouli, vanilla, molten amber and sandalwood. The EdP bottle, designed by Ford, is an Art Deco–inspired piece of jet-black fluted glass, with a hand-tied cord and a 23k gold-plated name plaque with engraved lettering. A limited-edition black-crystal perfume bottle, created by Lalique, comes with a 15ml glass vial filled with perfume and a gold funnel in which the fragrance is poured into the bottle. Each bottle is signed and numbered and comes with a certificate of authenticity. The face of Black Orchid is Julia Restoin, the daughter of French Vogue editor-in-chief Carine Roitfeld.

Black Orchid EdP will cost $90 for the 50ml and $135 for the 100ml, the perfume mere $600 for the 15ml, and will launch in the US mid-October and in the UK, Austria, France, Germany and Switzerland in December. The second phase of distribution, in spring 2007, will launch 30ml EdP at $65, along with Luminous Hair Perfume ($70 / 50ml), Hydrating Emulsion (150ml / $40), Body Cleansing Oil (150ml / $40) and Finishing Oil Spray (150ml / $45).

The news and the image are from Cosmeticnews.com.

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger tmp00 said...

I'm willing to ler Ford get away with the statement by taking it literally, since Chanel, et al were creted in the centuries past.

But he'd better blow my jaded a$$ away with all that hyperbole...

11:07 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Well, one could argue that Chanel's image is simply chic, but Hermes surely is striving to be seen as "luxurious." At any rate, I say with Tom (to the other Tom): It better be d-mned good!

11:18 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
I'm willing to let him get away with that too, because he is so cute...but yeah, it better be realy good, that Black Orchid.

11:32 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
You are right, but Hermes does have it's chic moments, it's not just all about vulgar luxury :-D AN is luxurious, but Poivre Samarcande is chic. I think. :-) OK, I will replace Hermes with Lutens.

The notes of Black Orchid sound fantastic, I am looking forward to trying it.

11:34 AM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Tom,I'm right there with you...
Mr. Ford, shows us your stuff, and can the PR...

11:46 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy forests! $600 for parfum!!!

11:47 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Chaya,
And I am right there with both of you...if this stuff is good :-)

12:16 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
The price is luxurious indeed.

12:16 PM EDT  
Blogger Lisa Olga said...

Molten Amber. Is it supposed to char one's epidermis? Oh the possibilities....

12:21 PM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

I agree that Hermes can certainly be chic--in a luxurious sort of way:) (I do love Hermes, BTW)

And I didn't even see the price of the parfum! Getting up there with the Marie Antoinette perfume. . . Now *there's* someone who was into luxury.:)

1:15 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

FF,
I didn't even notice that one yet, having zoomed on the price and the "most luxurious" part :-)

1:21 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
She certainly knew how to live :-) Who's the perfumer of her scent? Kurkdjian? Interesting...

1:23 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

I love Tom...what can I say? I know I'm one of only 7 people left who still do. :-) But I will admit that that his press can be just a bit (yeah, I know...slight understatement there) over the top. Looks like I won't be getting that perfume, but the notes have me thinking I better start putting my pennies into a Black Orchid edp piggy bank.

1:24 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I might have to wait till 2007 for that 30ml bottle :-)
Tom is way handsome, I must give him that...so one tends to forgive him all the over top stuff. The man has flair, what can I say :-)

1:26 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom you had me at "Hair perfume"...
Doesn't get more luxurious that that!

6:54 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

I am wondering if that's just a more "luxurious" name for hair mist :-D

10:29 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure this will be well done, but I have to say I questions his ability to innovate in any area. His fashion was well conceived rewrites of the past, his Estee Lauder the same, albeit expressely so. I just don't see a great, innovative mind at work there. He is a fantastic stylist, in my opinion. Anyway, I can't afford the stuff no matter what I think of it, so my opinion is mute!

9:34 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

It's a great point about him being most and foremost a stylist. Very true!

12:45 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Um, hoping for less molten amber. The rest sounds fab. I think Tom's a pill, but who cares? He's got style, and I don't have to live with him.

1:17 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Already finding this on ebay... wonder if I should give it a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOM-FORD-BEAUTY-3-4-BLACK-ORCHID-NIB-LUXURY-PERFUME_W0QQitemZ250045267867QQihZ015QQcategoryZ11847QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

10:05 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Eva,
I am going to review this on Friday. I like it very much :-)

10:19 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home