Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Saturday, April 07, 2007

"Coty Perfumes Individualize Distinctive Lovely Temperaments"

I happened upon a fascinating and poignantly charming in its old-fashioned naivety ad for Coty Perfumes from November 1925. In the ad, Coty assign their fragrances to various "types" of women. Thus we learn about:

Perfume Creations for Blondes. "The delicate loveliness of blonde women is told by L'Or, L'Effleurt or La Rose Jacqueminot"...

Perfume Creations for Brunettes. "The contrasting moods of brunette, swiftly changing or strangely tranquil, mysterious or ardent, are reflect with delicate intensity in Chypre, Styx or Ambreine"...

Perfume Creations for Red Haired Women. "The arresting distinction and charm of red haired women, their infinite magnetic appeal, is translated in the rich, compelling fragrances of Ambre Antique, Cyclamen and Iris."

For Brilliant Sophisticated Temperaments of the "delicately imperious" women of the world Coty offers Emeraude, Paris and L'Origan.

For the Woman of Sunny Joyous Type "the unforgettable fragrances Muguet, L'Effleurt, Violette express the rare charm of golden youth and freshness in life and indescribable, winsome sweetness".

"The enchanting fragrances of Jasmin de Corse, Lilas Blanc, and La Jasinthe translate the rare charm of dreamy, elusive types, giving out half-revelations of haunting beauty".

"The thrilling charm of exotic women- its poignant fascination - reveals itself in the alluring perfumes of Chypre, Ambre Antique and Violette Pourpre - irresistible, magnetic".

Coty creations for women of Mysterious Types are Ambre Antique, Styx, Cyclamen. The three "add depth to the woman of incomprehensible moods".

17 Comments:

Blogger benvenuta said...

I want to be a delicately imperious woman with a Brilliant Sophisticated Temperament.

11:36 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

So which one are you?

1:06 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right! Brunettes get Chypre!

3:03 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the "giving out half revelations..."

3:10 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so lovely. I'd never read a Coty ad before. As the proud owner of La Rose Jacqueminot, Chypre, Emeraude, Ambre Antique and L'Origan, I guess I'm all over the map. Though I must say, those scents are so rare I almost never reach for them, which is silly, really... They mostly come out when there's another perfumista in the house, for a mini-Osmothèque experience!

5:35 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

B,
Me too. Also, I like the elusive quality, so I want that as well. :-)

8:22 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
I all except for the Sunny Joyous one :-)

8:23 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Maria,
Lucky you! The red-heads get Ambre Antique. I hear it's wonderful.

8:24 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lavanya,
So cute, all of it, isn't it. On the one hand, I don't like generalizations like that and don't believe in them, but this was just touchingly cute and naive.

8:25 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

D,
Wow! I remember your post about La Rose. You should write about the others. And if you already have, please point me to where I can find your reviews.

8:26 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Does it matter what your colorist does? Oh, well, I will get what I want by claiming to be a
Redhead (AA is terrific), who is
Brilliant and Sophisticated (LOL!),
and, considering the time this was written, I would have also been considered Exotic (got my chypre that way!).

9:32 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
Lucky you! :-) The nature and the colorist firmly put me in the Delicate Loveliness category. I wonder what L'Or and L'Effleurt are like.

10:13 AM EDT  
Blogger katiedid said...

Oh wow! I was just trying to find some old ads with AA, and came up with nothing really. This is so fun, hee! I love old advertisements like this - thanks, that was great to read old ad copy. It kind of shows how little things have changed, too - laying out "types" simply shifted from being part of the company's copy to now being a feature in the beauty magazines' content, right next to the "new" sex tips articles. ;P

4:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
I hope are feeling better! Have you tried Ambre Antique?

4:40 PM EDT  
Blogger katiedid said...

Yes. I finally got ahold of a vintage bottle a couple (few?) months ago. Am trying to write about it right now. The back is... slow going, and since I was sidelined, I have twenty million real life things to take care of now. Sigh. Stupid !@#$#%$ back. At any rate, clearly I am now procrastination and goofing off. Ah well: at least procrastinating is fun ;)

4:46 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
Here is wishing for very fast healing!!

4:47 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about those of us with the ebony locks?

10:06 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home