Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Perfume Review: Christian Dior Eau Sauvage

Review by Tom

Lee of PerfumePosse and I recently had a 'fume exchange: He sent me some SL's he didn't care for and I picked up a couple of bottles of things he wanted. He also slipped in generous samples of all sorts of things that I had not tried, and one that I had actually owned, but not had in years.

Flashback to the 70's: I am a teenager and yes, I liked scents even then. I would ride my bike down to the Steigers in the Hampshire Mall and splurge on something like Halston Z-14 or Pierre Cardin. but my all-time favorite was Eau Sauvage.

For me, re-smelling it after years of not having it is kind of an olfactory time-machine: one whiff of the lemons and petitgrain and I am (almost) that teenager trekking to Hadley on his Raleigh ready to plunk down $20. Unlike the Pierre Cardin however, Eau Sauvage is something I would wear again in a heartbeat: it's light and refreshing but it has a definite edge to it. It's manly in a way that colognes aren't trying to be these days, that is of course written with the hindsight of (ahem) a few years. I am sure that when this came out it was considered rather unisex, and I knew several girls who wore (and wear) it. Somewhat like Malle's French Lover, it almost seems like a scent that you might have to dress for, even if that only means pressed khakis and a blazer. It's the scent you would think JFK wore. It certainly should be worn more often.

In later years Dior introduced Eau Sauvage Extreme, which I admit I moved onto. It was an 80's version of the scent that amped up to a shout what was merely whispered in the original. I still have an elegant black bottle of it but almost never find myself reaching for it. There is also a new Eau Sauvage, calle Eau Sauvage Friacheur Cuir. I don't know if I need to seek it out.

The original is available practically everywhere, and at very low prices. I've always had a hankering for one of those ginormous bottles and think that I will have to avail myself of one very soon.

Thanks, Lee.. I think

23 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

'It certainly should be worn more often.' Amen.

(And be worn by women too, I must add)

Great review!!

10:45 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Thanks very much-

I've had that decant for a week in my officce and have found myself drawn to it more and more.

Oh, and if anyone is going to refer back to Kelley's interview with me a week ago and quote me the "I still wear it" line, well, in my minds eye I had never really let go of this scent in the way I had moved on from others- Hey, 50 isn't a vicious rumor anymore: I can tell you that I adore a band that I haven't listened to in 20 years and mean it. That's a maddening Gemini trait: stating something as an absolute fact with all conviction, only to realise that perhaps others expect you to back it up with recent action.

Eau Sauvage is brilliant. A classic. Ever man (and yeah, every woman) should consider adding it to the wardrobe.

12:11 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for a nice trip back in time Tom.
Have you tried Monsieur de Givenchy?
If you haven't yet, it's another "Classic" in the same genre and from the same age. I happen to prefer the Monsieur over the Sauvage, and I fancy you'll like it too.
You might also enjoy two relatively modern takes on the theme: Signoricci and Eau de Rochas pour Homme.
I'd enjoy reading your reviews if you do try and fancy them.
Thanks again.

12:37 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

karthic-

Thanks for thie tips, I will give them a sniff.

I am all over resniffing the classics..

1:23 AM EDT  
Blogger leopoldo said...

Love the nostalgia trip.

Hell, you can buy Eau Sauvage here for the price of a couple of coffees...

3:28 AM EDT  
Blogger Divina said...

I think it is one of the most elegant male fragrances ever made. This is always reinforced (in my experience) by the fact that whenever I happen to smell it and turn to see who the wearer is, they happen to be immaculately dressed!

4:27 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think I am going online now to get a bottle. I have dithered long enough !
Your review has been the extra push I needed... thanks !

7:28 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

I remember your PC review! How do you feel about the fact that, every time I see the PC bottle, I think of you?!?!

Eau Sauvage is a wonder, I'd never properly appreciated it. When the Cheese (Mr. Overapply) works through his current cologne, it will be fall. I'm contemplating either a bottle of Eau Sauvage or Guerlain Vetiver, do you have a vote? Also, I really need to get ahold of some more French Lover.

8:04 AM EDT  
Blogger Dust Glitter and Vapor said...

There's no need to rush out to try Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir. I thought that I would love it (what's not to like? It's Eau Sauvage! And leather!) but it wasn't nearly as interesting as I thought it would be.

10:03 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Perfect. I was surprised how much I liked Eau Savage. I'd never smelled it (probably smelled it on others, not realizing it), so my first try was enchanting.

11:04 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Lee-

It's fairly cheap here, but not that cheap. It's totally worth it though

12:05 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

divina-

I feel better dressed when I wear it!

12:08 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

silvia-

enjoy it!

12:09 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

march-

I say Dior. It's hard to over-apply this one, and the vetiver can get to be a bit much if overdone

12:10 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

dg&v

(First off, love the name)

I was thinking that would be the case and was frankly not looking forward to the disappointment. Thanks for the heads up!

12:11 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

btw- I am going to be spending a lot of time reading your blog today- no work may get done!

12:13 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

patty-

It is perfect isn't it?

12:14 PM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

I am almost scared to try the Cuir, the original is so entirely perfect. Great post!

1:45 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

thanks!

2:29 PM EDT  
Blogger Gaia said...

I adopted a bottle of the original from my father's collection back in the 80s, and wore it to the shock and awe of my Anais Anais wearing friends. Maybe that was the reason I couldn't get a date...
I need to revisit this one and maybe test it on the husband.

12:34 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I never could get a date in the 80's as well.

Hmmmmm...

1:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Eau Sauvage on men but hardly ever smell anyone wearing it. For as long as I can remember, my dad has worn this (and, less often, Paco Rabanne) and it's reassuring to go home and still see a bottle of it in the bathroom. I just find it strangely sexy and sophisticated, and yet also comforting.

4:04 PM EDT  
Anonymous Women Leather Biker jacket said...

'It certainly should be worn more often.' Amen.

1:58 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home