Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, October 05, 2007

From The Diary of a Scent Addict…

By Kelley

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Okay, so here is the scoop. I read about this great deal at the Montale-Paris website based in Switzerland. It is supposed to be so fantastic that they are practically giving the stuff away. Well, maybe not giving it away but it sure is supposed to be great. For example, the 100ml bottle of Aoud Lime is going for roughly $76! The bottle of Blue Amber that I looked at (same size) is about $47. These are my kind of prices! (Sad note: as of this date, Black Oud was sold out…sorry)

I found the website: Montale-Paris with virtually no problems. However, the site is in French and the translation button doesn’t really translate the site into 100% English. Before the order completes, you must sign up with the website. Here is where I had my first big glitch. I couldn’t get the stupid sign-up page to process. I tried and tried. I was getting frantic. Luckily, I remembered something like this happening before and I switched from using my Firefox web browser to Internet Explorer and finally I was able to sign up. You know how this goes, you are then sent to a secure site to process your charge card and then you wait. Finally, you are returned to the Swiss site and nothing happens. There isn’t a receipt page or so much as a thank you very much for your order page either. I did get an email eventually and after translating I think I am either getting my two 100ml bottles of Montale fragrances for under $125 (plus postage) OR they are sending someone over to re-roof my house. It was all very confusing. I will report back when I know more.

Wednesday night the same day

The credit card charge went through and the postage turns out to be around $20. That’s not too bad considering it’s coming from Switzerland.

The story (maybe fictional?) on Basenotes is that the Swiss store often has these sales especially when trying to get rid of returned merchandise or when Mr. Montale starts cranking out a whole new set of scents and needs to get rid of the old.
Thursday, September 20, 2007

I just received a charming confirmation email in French stating that my order has been shipped. I will be counting the days!

I have reviewed Aoud Lime before and just recently Blue Amber. Oh, and by the way, this is marketed as a woman’s fragrance but many of the reviews say that it is more masculine in nature. Personally, I find this very unisex in approach.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I just got an email from Montale warning that there will only be a few days left of the sale. I don’t know whether to believe them or not. Maybe this is just good advertising.

Saturday, September 30, 2007

The shipment has arrived. It has my Aoud Lime and Blue Amber and as a free gift, they included a 50ml bottle of Orient Extreme. My grand total spent was $142 (that includes postage) and the value of the three bottles would have normally been $510 plus postage! Yep, I just double checked a couple of my favorite online fragrance shops and I have to admit that I totally scored! There is a thread on Basenotes featuring the free gifts and believe me, mine was pretty skimpy compared to some.

Monday, October 1, 2007

They weren’t lying. The Montale site is down and has been replaced by a Nejma site (by Pascal Morabito)! Oh, sadness! Oh, depression! There was more I wanted to order!

I wrote to the new Nejma site but no response. I asked a friend on Basenotes if he still had the old email address for Montale, which he did. I am begging for another chance at the sale.

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Even though it was a long wait, I finally got a response from Florence at Montale (info@parfums-montale.com) and they still have Black Aoud! I placed another small order through PayPal. Wow, that was close. Because they are 7 hours ahead, I haven’t had any account activity yet. I hope this goes through!

I was going to wait to post this until this next shipment comes in but why wait? Time is fleeting and if you still want to cash in on the sale, write to them. Now! Remember, her name is Florence.

32 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

Want to see how lucky some of the other guys at Basenotes were with their orders? This was from a posting by Cairomerta"

He ordered:

100ml Aoud Flowers
100ml Aoud Rose Petal
100ml Aoud Damascus

Received Extra:

100ml Soliel De Capri
100ml Royal Aoud
100ml Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
Crap load of Samples

Was he lucky or what? There has been a sort of feeding frenzy to see who can outdo the others on basenotes. I think this guy should win!

10:59 PM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

Ooops, did I mention that the reason they are giving so much extra stuff away is that the store in Switzerland is closing? They will have nothing left at the end of this.

11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Gaia said...

I wish I knew this earlier. I would have so ordered Vanilla Chypre. Does it mean that all the scents are being discontinued?

11:12 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Good for you!

11:13 PM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

No. They aren't being discontinued. The store in Switzerland is closing...that's all. You can write to Florence and she will tell you what she has left.

Good luck!

11:20 PM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

Thanks Tom. I feel pretty good about it.

I am hoping that others will write in and take advantage of this too.

11:23 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

OMG. I need to try to call them this morning. What sort of fantastic karma must that guy at Basenotes have who got a 100 ml of Cuir d'Arabie as an extra? SOB! I *adore* it. And Royal Aoud as well. Turning a very unattractive shade of chartreuse here.
Thanks for posting about this!!!

6:30 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Kelley, I loved the post. The urgency, the hope, the despair! The life of a scent addict is a tough one. I should know :-)
By the way, my previous tragic experience taught me nothing. I did order a bottle of Rose Petals during this sale from them. Waiting for it. I don't even care if there will be an extra. I just hope the bottle a) arrives and b) they sent what I ordered, because there were many complaints on MUA - people were receiving the stuff they didn't order instead of the right stuff. Which, I guess, is kind of understandable. Imagine how swamped with orders Montale was.

6:47 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having just bought 100mls Aoud Blossom at full price, I didn't need to hear this...(sigh sob sigh sob). AND I wish I had made a better scent choice...Now I have PMD (Post Montale Depression)

Thanks for sharing the tip and for the hilarious post, I can so recognize myself ! Orders from Parfumerie Generale have been that sort of nightmare for me, with the site crushing half way through. Thank God they have real and lovely people working for them.

8:11 AM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

elle,

Cairomerta is also the guy that announced about a month or two ago that you could call the Montale offices in Paris and ask for extra juice to be added to the bottle. It seems they will make your bottle extra strong if you are a good customer. What would you call a fragrance stronger than Parfum?

9:12 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am patiently waiting for two orders to come in and crossing my fingers for a boondoggle of extras!!!

if this works out, it will become my favorite sale ever.

9:13 AM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

M, good luck with your order. I sent the money yesterday through PayPal and have heard nothing. I guess I will just have to calm down.

I am fairly confident you will get your order and that it will be correct. I haven't heard of any big mistakes...lately.

9:14 AM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

Silvia, sorry about the timing. I have never tried Aoud Blossom and have just recently started seeing reviews. Here is hoping that you will grow to absolutely adore it.

9:18 AM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

Patty, we will have to do this again so I can find out what everyone got as goodies! Please let me know if (like Cairomerta) you totally scored! You too M!

9:20 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

I am keeping my fingers crossed on all your behalfs (behalves?), not feeling the Montale love enough to jump through those hoops meself. But those are great scores! I have ordered on occasion from non-English sites (and worldwide eBay) with, uh, varying results. No roofers yet, though.

PS Yeah, Louise has her Montales made stronger in the Paris boutique. Which I find hilarious. Man, anything stronger would probably burn all the hairs out of your nose.

9:42 AM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

Marchlion...that's it! Nose hair remover!!! Why didn't I think of that?

10:07 AM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

M, can we please discuss the future of Dzing!? Have you heard anything more? There is a huge debate on Basenotes and it's not pretty.

10:09 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish they would send some roofers over to my house! Debates (e.g. playing the blame game) with the insurance company,house inspector, and realtor are at the top of my to do list today...

Swiss roofers. Swiss, perfume-loving roofers!

Yes!

Ordering RIGHT NOW...

10:38 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And hey, even if we don't get through (g-d forbid!), I forsee Montale Swaparama and Decant Deluxe Festival coming up straight ahead on yer local perfume forums...

10:45 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelley,
50ml bottles of Dzing are being phased out. 100ml bottles are staying. For now.

12:43 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a great post K! One day I might feel the Montale love (I'm with March), but I'm sure I'll never have so much opportunity for hay-making if I do!

12:54 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is it wrong to want to fly to Scent Bar in LA for the day to smell everything? I live in Florida...

1:16 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when the decanting begins I'm in line for Black Aoud...:O

1:23 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Goodness,
How wonderful is a sale where they actually GIVE you extra stuff! That is practically unheard of in this country, where a really good sale is most often a 20% markup over cost instead of 50%. Congratulations!

4:35 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ordered 10 days ago. My CC is charged. Still no reaction, received nothing. They didn't answer my e-mails. They don't answer my calls. This is my worst experience ever with an online shop.

5:08 PM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

anonymous...don't worry! They are completely swamped with orders. 10 days isn't too long. It took me about a week and a half (11 day?) and that was before they switched the website over. I am guessing you will get the order in the next day or so. Please let me know when you get it and what you got free!

5:25 PM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

leopoldo, you are right. This was the chance of a lifetime...it is if you like Montale (which I obviously do).

5:26 PM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

carol, first write to Florence and see what she has left and you might just need to order blind. Check out the many reviews on Basenotes if you need some help or on the other blogs. This really is the chance of a lifetime. Flying to LA will take up valuable time.

5:28 PM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

Beth...that is exactly why I am beside myself with glee!

5:29 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Kelley! Really, I don't need any freebees, I just want my order. I'm worrying a little bit because I'm in Europe (Holland). As I said, I ordered already 10 days ago. Usually I get everything from Switzerland within ca. 4 days. I understand, they are "overloaded" with orders, but they didn't confirm shipment (I asked them to do that twice: after ordering and two days ago). OK, I hope, you're right and my order will be here tomorrow :-)

6:17 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Kelley, and others who have done this, it's very brave of you! I could never bring myself to order from an online shop in another language - or two! I am glad it turned out well for you. I am green with envy! :-)

3:23 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I far prefer the arabian influenced Montale fragrances to the Lutens. What Montale has done with their Oud line is amazing, and sets new standards for Oud and arabian-inspired fragrances. While the non-oud line isn't as impressive, it still has its share of excellent fragrances (Jasmin Full, Patchouli Leaves, Sweet Oriental Dream, etc).

Btw, I ordered 100ml Aoud Damascus and received a free bottle of 50ml Sweet Oriental Dream.

Hope you all are enjoying your Montales!

8:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home