Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, March 21, 2008

The “In a Station at the Metro” Perfume Project and The Winner of the Botrytis Draw

By Alyssa

f you haven’t checked out the amazing perfume+poetry project going on over at Memory and Desire, I strongly recommend that you do so. Fourteen perfumers, including Christophe Laudamiel, Mandy Aftel, Andy Tauer, Vero Kern (of the amazing Onda), Yosh Han and Michael Storer among others are responding to blog mistress Heather Ettlinger’s call to describe how they would transform Ezra Pound’s three line poem, “In a Station at the Metro” into a perfume. Six of the perfumers created a perfume for the project, and there will be a giveaway at the end of the series with samples of each and many other beautiful things. (All the details are here.) The perfumer posts started this week on Monday with Many Aftel and will continue daily until the end of the month. Full disclosure: I know Heather, and have been privileged to have a peek behind the scenes of the project. What I’ve seen there fills me with optimism for the future of independent perfumery and its possible effects on the industry and the lives of perfume fans. The perfumers are passionate about creativity, play, and art for art’s sake, and they are delighted to be engaged in this way. We may not be able to convince Dior to re-issue their back catalog, but we can belong to a vibrant and growing community of people who are keeping the artistry of perfume new and alive. Call out your perfumista heart’s desire: they’re listening, folks.

And the winners…drawn by my distracted and totally impartial DH while he was watching Obama’s speech on Race in America for the third, obsessed time…are Theresa, Flora and Existentialist! I figured I should give more than one away since y’all have waited so damn long. Send me an email at aharad at gmail dot com with your coordinates.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Alyssa! Obama must be good luck for us.

-Existentialist

8:28 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

COOL! I was just watching Obama on TV when I found out I was a winner - and he is coming to my city tomorrow! He must be good luck indeed. :-)

2:01 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting about this. I've bookmarked for a more serious read later today when I've got my day under control (& I've fully caffienated ... very fuzzy morning here)

11:42 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello everyone -- got your emails and they'll be in the mail shortly.

Divalano, it is *such* a cool project and the giveaway is just amazing. A zillion samples in a black lacquer box and a book of poetry. She'll enter you up to five times if you comment as much or more.

3:46 PM EDT  
Blogger heather said...

Thank you, Alyssa, for this. As you know, I've been totally thrilled with the response to the Perfume in a Poem project and more than anything else, it makes me feel part of a community which is vibrant, creative, giving, and open at all levels. It's been an honor to gather the thoughts of these lovely people in one place; they were quite brave to trust me with it, and I can't thank you enough for the part you played (in ways you don't even know) in making this happen.

11:14 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home