Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sunday sniffing...

By Tom

Friends invited me to lunch on Sunday and we did a bit of shopping afterwards: wandered Rodeo and Beverly, then went over to Melrose to stop on the new Munsingwear store (I am not quite old enough to remember the previous, non-cool incarnation as a purveyor of underwear), and to Paul Smith. Paul Smith has as you know a bunch of scents some of which are quite good. There was a new one "Rose" which is sadly not. According to the website, no actual roses were harmed in the creation of the scent; roses are fed into a, er, I'll just let them say it: "Using technology called ScentTrek, the living flower is isolated in a glass bell and special equipment 'inhales' the scent molecules, which are then analysed and recreated in a laboratory"

Whatever...

I love the scent of roses; one of my great joys is going to my dear friend Sue's house when her "Rose Alley" (the driveway of her house) is in full flood of different roses, each one a different kind with a different aspect to the scent. Some are full-bodied and peppery, some are whisper-light and some are creamy. None of them smell like they were cloned by the Borg from an Airwick Solid.

I was told by some relative that it's always best if one has nothing nice to say not to say anything at all. Clearly, as anyone who has ever read my scribblings would know, I have not adopted this as a life ethos. I will however state that the bottle the juice is packed in has a nice heft to it. which would come in handy should one wish to throw it physically as far away from one as possible.

Damn, I couldn't adopt it even for one paragraph.

1.7 oz for $75, 3.3 oz for $100 at Paul Smith.

Image is by Donna Trope.

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger marchlion said...

What?! I thought it was so sweet, the way you complimented the packaging.

One of my favorite smells on earth: roses in the dark, on a humid summer night, while sprawled on the wicker sofa on my screened porch, watching the fireflies dance.

10:06 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Hate to see rose scents go wrong. Hate to see a bottle w/ good heft (adore TDC bottles for their heft) be wasted on a rose scent gone wrong. But, on a more positive note, just wanted to say that I ended up loving the last rose scent you posted on - Andy's Incense Rose. Definitely FBW.

10:12 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

how I wish they could have captured that..

11:03 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

His new Rose is wonderful too!

11:04 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if you are always nice, how can we trust you?

And if you always praise everything, you'll have to get so subtle that we won't know the difference, and then the world will go off kilter as thousands of cranky perfume addicts throw heavy bottles of creepy-rose perfumes out the window at the same time. No, no, you did us a favor! (And gave me a great laugh!) Keep writing.

11:32 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was a fine compliment about the packaging, march is right. but you neglected to mention its possible use as a weapon of self-defense. a hefty bottle thrown in someone's general direction could make them run. or would you suggest spraying, with this one?

i love rose scents, too. so good to know about this one.

and, don't feel bad (i know you won't), i didn't take that advice either (come visit my blog, www.scentsignals.com to see). - minette

12:01 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Quinn-

Your comment made me laugh- you post about Martha made me tear up.

1:01 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Minette-

I am going to be spending a lot of time reading your blog!

You're forcing me to try Paris Hilton!

You are more than up to Un Lys- which I must get my butt to Barneys and see if I can discern the lilacs in.

I NEED to know the best cheap musks immediately!

Yes, as a weapon of self defense, one could mace with the contents or bonk with the bottle. As a weapon of last resort, one could dash it upon the ground like a grenade and run for the nearest exit..

1:12 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - Oh SNAP! "Cloned by the Borg from an Airwick Solid" - that's harsh, but if it's true they deserve it. I adore roses, and nothing makes me crazier than bad "rose" perfume, cuz I know exactly what they did to make it bad. Cheapskates, they are.

2:48 AM EDT  
Blogger Divina said...

Haven't smelled this one, but I had heard good things about Story so I went and sampled it... straight on my skin. Mistake. Not only is it bad, it's also generic. I'll be honest, I've yet to find a Paul Smith scent I actually *like*

3:03 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

"Using technology called ScentTrek, the living flower is isolated in a glass bell and special equipment 'inhales' the scent molecules, which are then analysed and recreated in a laboratory"

Translation: We couldn't afford the real deal so we used a cheap-ish synthetic rose that's been available for decades, but we'll make you think we just created it, and we'll make our technology sound super-advanced.

6:37 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, you're so funny! Your cranky reviews are every bit as endearing as your reviews of the scents you love. It's odd: even though this Paul Smith rose scent isn't on my radar screen, I feel like you just saved me money! Thanks. :-)

10:15 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Tom, if you don't have anything nice to say, come and sit by me (and Alice Roosevelt Longworth!) Snarky is good.

10:52 AM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

I love that no roses were harmed in the making of this perfume. Plant Rights! Stop the senseless maceration of rose petals!

11:24 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

IMHO it's deserved. It's that 70's cheap artificial rose. Ugh

12:05 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

divina-

Noooooo! Poor you!

12:06 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

marina-

That's it exactly...

12:07 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

suzanne-

Thanks! Sometimes being cranky is a nice release!

12:09 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

sybil-

Oh, I'll come sit, but I think that we're going to be in a crowded corner!

12:11 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

erin-

That's the deal! Roses rights! But what about the rights of glass bells huh!?! Poor enslaved glass bells!

Free the bels!!

12:13 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lolololol

thanks, I needed that

I now feel 200% more ready to meet my day ;)

12:22 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

divalano=

:=)

12:28 PM EDT  
Blogger ninja said...

This is a bad one, Tom. This one is the flagon held aloft by haters of rose perfumes as not-so-sweet vindication of manifesto. Destined, too, to be held aloft by farsighted elderly aunties while they adjust their correctional foundation garments. See, if there's a quintessential Bad Grandma Rose Perfume, it's this one.

Lest I sound sanctimonious, I should disclose that I wore Tea Rose in my pre-teens, so I've seen and committed every rosy sin...yesterday's trespasses are today's unswerving compass. :)

7:01 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home