Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Andy Tauer at ScentBar

By Tom

It's rather a crazy week here in Lake Pansy (apologies to Garrison) so this isn't going to be a terribly long post. Lucky you!

This past weekend Andy Tauer made an appearance for the formal introduction of Incense Rose. I was able to speak to the Robin, IrisLA and Supermarky, and to meet Maria B, who motored all the way down from Monterey for the occasion (clever girl that she is, she took the super-scenic coast road, which everyone should do once).

Andy gave a talk about the development of his frankincense/rose scents and showed us various components; it's always interesting to be able to see how some of these disparate (and sometimes shockingly pungent) ingredients can some up with something as smooth and seductive as Incense Rose, whose play on citrus-tinged roses, coriander and incense is a beauty, even if I do find it a little more rose than I like to wear. If you love garden-fresh rose and are in the mood for a wonderful spring scent you will definitely want to check this out.

He also gave out samples of his new Rose scent, which will apparently debut in the fall. It's the other side of the calendar from Incense Rose: IR is playful spring, buzzing with the promise of life. Rose is the last blooms of autumn, the Indian summer days with that "migrate-or-die" evening chill toit.

Andy also gave us a sniff (via test strips- he only had one little sample) of his new Vetiver, which I don't remember him saying when (or if, for that matter) it would be out. Being the shy, retiring thing that I am, I sidled up to the bar and Baldly, er, politely gave myself the tiniest spritz. Yum! It's vetiver, but it's doing that same "rethink what you know about vetiver" Andy has done with lavender with Reverie au Jardin and with hyacinth with Hyacinth and Mechanic (No Andy, I am not letting that one go. So there.). I REALLY hope that this one sees the light of day, the shelves at LuckyScent and the inside of my cupboard. Had I had a third glass of prosecco I would have just grabbed the sample out of Franco's hand and ran drunkenly off with it. Luckily, for decorum's sake, I did not.

Labels: ,

27 Comments:

Blogger elle said...

Vetiver?! What w/ my newly found mad, passionate love for this note, it seems like a direct gift from the cosmos that Andy is doing a vetiver themed scent. Can't wait! Have a sample of Incense Rose en route, but that rose scent for the fall sounds unbelievably perfect and something that may actually ease my depression as we head back into cold weather time. Thanks for the report!

9:48 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

I was pretty mad about his version of vetiver, and yes, that rose scent is pretty darned good as well..

10:24 PM EDT  
Blogger risa said...

*snuffle* i so wanted to be there! i'm glad you got a sniff of the Rose, though. :)

11:22 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always imagine Andy arriving in a beat up pickup truck filled with tumbleweeds, creosote-soaked telephone polls and a pile of roses. I MUST get this image out of my mind!

1:44 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

incense rose smelled like one of my grand dad's furniture quilts... the blankets of which as kids we'd sleep under stars

they weren't very warm blankets... unyielding... musty... and dank with the slightest splash of kerosene

i don't think i like perfumes that work so deeply on memory cells... it's too creepy (if not outright invasive)

i believe scents should be free of associations... zen-like... incense rose was presumptuous and unceremonious

2:21 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, I am GREEN with envy, I adore Andy and his perfumes! And now he is going to work the Tauer magic with vetiver...the mind boggles at trying to imagine how he will do it!

I really must get my mitts on a sample of Incense Rose' soon, it sounds like it was made just for me.

2:31 AM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

How lovely for you, sweetheart !

I love that shy little man 'werry, werry much ', LOL....
I always prefer to get my mitts on him, with petite smooches.
[petite, only 'cos he's a shy blossom, and I don't want to squoosh him senseless]

When are you and I going to get horizontal ?
Hmmmmm ?

6:47 AM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Begging for a few more hints on the vetiver -- other notes? Comparisons to any existing vetiver scent? Anything?

Yes, I'm a vetiver freak.

11:24 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

risa-

He will be back in the fall I believe, so maybe you can go to that?

1:53 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

quinn-

having smelled Lonestar Memories first (or all of his) I have the same image in my head!

1:54 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

anonymous-

Whatever you do don't try CB I Hate Perfume's line. Total sense memory!

1:55 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

donna-

I'd love to read how you found it!

1:56 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

chaya-

soon I hope! :-)

1:56 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

nowsmellthis-

It's difficult with a teensy spritz, but it's vetiver filtered through some of that Tauerade base- clean an minty and a bit of dirty musk at the bottom.

1:58 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The vet sounds mahvellous. Are you in that pic? And if not, why not? eh?

2:02 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Tom. It was great meeting you at last. The event was such fun. I believe that Andy is debating whether to come out with the rose chypre or the vetiver in the fall. He actually loves the vetiver, as does every other man who sniffs it. (This woman too.)

Tom, you bad boy, you're supposed to keep the Hyacinth and the Mechanic going. It's meant to circulate like a message in a bottle. Andy is sad that it has disappeared from circulation.

3:13 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maria,
How lovely to see you here! Please don't blame Tom for disappearing the Mechanic. It was with me for a, um, while, and now it is with someone else, so it's still on the road.

3:29 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

lee-

I am not in the picture because I'm holding my cell-cam. That and I hate to be photographed..

3:33 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

maria-

I think he should do both, but I am nothing if not greedy...

Don't look at me! I sent it right on! (Darn it- I should have had it "get lost" in the mail!)

3:34 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

marina-

So it was you! Was there only the one bottle?

3:37 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, just one bottle making its way around the world. Each recipient would write his/her impressions on a special section of Andy's Web site and pass the bottle along.

Tapping foot because I have not been one of the lucky recipients. :-)

4:06 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I wondered about that- I didn't see you on the map on Andy's site. But then again I am not on there either..

4:38 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Yummm...... I've never met a vetiver that I didn't love, and this one sounds amazing. How much fun you must have had! I can't wait to smell "Rose". For me one of my favorite smells is the warmth of the garden during the Indian summers here. Everything smells so ripeand harvest ready. I have always found in my fathers garden that the roses that hang on until November are always the sweetest. Ummmmm....
Thanks for sharing:)

6:03 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

beth-

I just hope he doesn't make us choose one and not release the other!

6:16 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Hoo boy, you crack me up. The things I have done I can blame on one or three too many glasses of prosecco... vetiver!!! Yessss!!! It's a new direction for me, and I'm excited to sniff Andy's treatment of it.

6:24 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

I think I am going to blame all of my bad behavior from now on on Presecco consumption...

That was a fine vetiver!

6:44 PM EDT  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Oh, to be at that gathering!! Tom thanks for the heads up on the beautiful-sounding Incense Rose. I need a new spring scent! By the way, you always make me giggle. :-)

7:31 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home