Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Perfume Review: Dior Addict

The rule of thumb in colombina-world is, the sweeter a Dior scent, the less likely I am to be able to tolerate it. The rule does not necessarily apply to all brands. Some of the sweetest Chanels, Coromandel, Coco and Coco Mademoiselle, are on my Top 25-30 list. I don't have a very sweet tooth in perfume (and in food, I don't have it at all), but I have been known to enjoy such sweet monsters as Flowerbomb (especially Extreme), Trouble and Angel Rose. But there is something about Dior's most sugared creations, Addict and Midnight Poison, that, whenever I attempt to wear them, makes me want to crawl out of my skin and run away shrieking in horror. Maybe it is the root-beer-like accord that the two seem to share (although in Midnight Poison it is much more pronounced), and I loathe root beer with passion.

At this point you can pretty much guess that this is not going to be a glowing review. Having said that, I don't think there is anything wrong with the scent as such. It is just like the copy promises, "Sensual. Soft. Feminine". It is sweet, but not teenybopper-sweet. In fact, with its pronounced floral accord and the rich base of sandalwood and tonka bean, Addict is fairly sophisticated. It is also fairly boring. The suggestive ad is as far removed from my vision of this unexciting fragrance as can be. Addict, to me, is not Liberty Ross with a nipple almost showing. It is Andy McDowell in a navy column dress. No disrespect to the beautiful Andy McDowell, but man does she bore me to tears. As do navy column dresses.

Dior Addict is available at Sephora, $65.00-$85.00.

Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger elle said...

You're so right - Addict is supremely boring. I was moderately concerned about having insomnia tonight and am now thinking that I need to include Addict on my list of extreme yawn inducing scents.

10:10 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
Welcome back! :-) I need the opposite, something to stay awake. And no, citrus doesn't work. :-)

10:12 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Addict struck me as one of those where they came up with the name and the ads and decided that following through with an outre scent would just be too much. Frankly, I'd rather substitute the charged name "Addict" and the "Dior is my Gyno" ad campaign with calling it "Happy Snuggy Puppies" and having juice that maims, slays and takes no prisoners...

Just once. Please?

11:18 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Tom--when I think of addict, I think of something much more, god help me, oriental...Opium, anyone? I hope that doesn't make me sound like a horrible imperialist or something.

lol at Andie MacDowell

12:36 AM EDT  
Blogger KittyMeow said...

Hmm well I like Addict. Its quite sexy and full on and works well with my skin chemistry.

2:35 AM EDT  
Blogger risa said...

*cackle*
to me, Addict isn't boring... because it gives me a migraine! When it was first released, I cannot tell you how many times I walked off the subway clutching my forehead and moaning... ;)

3:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
yeah! Let it be called Happy Snuggy Puppies and smell like Secretions Magnifique :-)

6:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Billy,
I agree with Tom too. And with you. Something like Opium IS addictive. This- not so much.

6:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

KittyMeow,
I am so glad, it makes me happy to hear that a perfume works so well.

6:52 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Risa,
I am sorry and can relate to migraine-suffering. Addict doesn't do it to me, but Obsession does. Or Eternity.

6:55 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not find Addict boring, but I find it very heavy, almost suffocating. I can see why the poor model is writhing in agony! :)

Vika

7:35 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Vika,
tee hee! yes, very heavy. I am wondering, if I find it too robust, what Robin will say...

7:40 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Heh. I thought it was *great.* Hypnotic Poison without the Godzilla-like sillage (although others on here beg to differ.) OTOH I will admit that I got it on my shirt, and then had to wash not just my shirt but everything in its immediate neighborhood in the clothing pile. It is unbelievably tenacious on fabric.

7:54 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
Do you know, I sprayed a blotter at Sephora what..2 weeks ago? It still smells!

7:56 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It smelled great on my pilates instructor, so I thought, hmmmmm....I'll buy a bottle. Sadly, not great at all on me. I can't quite identify the source of the problem, but there is something in there that does not like me!!!!

8:05 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Pavlova
It smelled great on my mother-in-law, but on me it's disagreeable too.

8:12 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

This one smells good on paper, but on my skin plastic!

10:09 AM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

I don't like root beer either, but I love Hypnotic Poison, which has the most pronounced root beer accord of them all. Go figure.

10:15 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Jenavira
Heavy sweet plastic on me too.

11:57 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
I said this before, you are an enigma wrapped in mystery.

11:58 AM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Many people wear this well...

For me, the aquatic note was an immediate turnoff...
Splotch Calone all over anything, and WATCH ME RUN, LOL !

7:39 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ida,
Aquatic note? I am so glad I did not get that!

9:16 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home