Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Perfume Review: Parfums de Nicolai Eau Turquoise

The quality that fascinates me in Patricia de Nicolai scents is their creamy richness. Even the citrusy-fresh, summery fragrances like Eau d'Ete and the new Eau Turquoise have something comfortingly "solid" about them. The first breezy accords dissipate and underneath them one invariably finds the buttery, tonka-full base, "Nicolaiade".

Eau Turquoise starts with a pleasantly sharp citrus note, which I would have sworn was grapefruit, and which, looking at the least of notes, I now think must be a lime and pepper accord. The fruity sweetness of osmanthus, enhanced by the presence of apricot, prevents the citruses from being too acidic, and thus a beautiful balance of airy and milky, piquant and fruity is achieved. As the scent develops on my skin, "Nicolaide" becomes apparent. While remaining resolutely summery and beachy (and I love that the beachy feel is created without the obvious use of coconut), Eau Turquoise has a warm, "thick" base of, I believe, tonka (which, to me, is the signature note of Nicolai), cardamom and cedarwood... the base that is like a languid, sensual night to the sunlit day of the top and heart notes.

Available at Luckyscent, for the very reasonable $65.00 for 100ml.

Labels:

28 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

Um...YUM.

But I'm done spending for awhile...sounds like it will be a seller, so I don't have to worry.

10:35 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, damn now you have got me with the mention of osmanthus and apricot. Must sample.

10:43 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, damn, you lost me with the mention of osmanthus and apricot.
But I find many of these perfumes intriguing and underrated.

1:30 AM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

OOOOOh.
Like my voluptuous girlfriend above- I'm SKINT, baby.
No more dosh for fumes...

You blonde enabler.
Kisses to you-

6:42 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Alyssa,
I don't think it will disappear any time soon.

6:44 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Jenavira,
My job here is done then :-)

6:44 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Quinncreative,
Oh well, win some lose some :-D I think the line is unbelievably underrated too.

6:44 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ida,
I hear you! :-( Kisses back to you.

6:45 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally agree on the consistency of PdN scents and I like that a lot. Have fallen for Le Temps d'une Fete but will make sure I'll give this a good sniff. Thanks.

7:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooohh nnooooo (the sound of my credit card moaning softly in my purse). Really can't buy it (though isn't it and indeed all PdNs a very reasonable price). Thanks for a lovely review. It is stunning weather here in London at the moment so all mention of sunny weather scents makes me very happy indeed. Nicola

7:55 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds gorgeous, I'll endeavor to find some to sniff someplace. Having trouble imagining how the lime works in harmony with all that but I'd very much like to try it. And my bf will appreciate the dearth of coconut.

8:27 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds very lovely! I am craving a languorous summer day....

Vika

11:15 AM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

Uh oh. This sounds delicious. This spring, something has snapped in me and I suddenly love apricots... this sounds yummy.

11:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooo in love with....their prices.
Wish I could find a 'fume from PdN that loved me back.
Although, New York loves me a lot, and I love IT.
I'll have to try their Eaux Fraiches, though. The Turq. included.

Although, I'm joing the STINT club with Ida, my heart.

-MD

1:21 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Oh, yum. That sounds so good! And that is a great image for the illustration.

The Nicolaide :-) goes good or bad on me, depending, so ... no unsniffed purchase!

1:31 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

These days $65 is practically free!

4:33 PM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Liked my first sniff, but was surprised at how close it was to Eau Exotique. Still need to try them together. Agree this is lovely though!

6:20 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Silvia
Le Temps d'une Fete is amazing!

9:17 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Nicola,
Oh I miss London *wails*

9:18 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
Without lime it would have been too sweet.

9:18 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Vika,
Me too!!

9:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Linda,
One day something snapped in me and I can't take them anymore :-) But here I love them

9:20 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

MarkDavid,
Vie de Chateau should love you, the lover of Fleur de Narcisse.

9:20 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
In Sacrebleu it is unbearable on me. Here it works.

9:21 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Jaded we are, jaded, I tell you!

9:22 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
I can't remember Eau Exotique, I know I tried it...:-(

9:22 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *know* that $65 is practically "free", LOL, but I don't need 100ml. For some reason, this eau has been calling out to me as a must have (although I'm long overdue to buy Balle de Match). PdN's site advertises 50ml for 22€, but does anyone know where I can buy that size online without having it shipped from Europe?

7:33 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Joe
Sometimes beautyhabit sells 1oz size of PdNs. Maybe they'll have this one at some point.

7:42 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home