Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, May 02, 2008

Perfume Review: Christian Dior Fahrenheit 32

Many thanks to Luca Turin for making me open my mind up a crack, with his review of Fahrenheit 32 in Perfumes The Guide. (I do, however, disagree with Turin that Fahrenheit was changed so much as to become unrecognizable. I knew it way back when and I own a bottle of current juice, and yes, the intensity of the original is lost somewhat, but it is still the same fragrance and is still great.) I was reluctant to smell the flanker to the deeply beloved Fahrenheit, because, well, when you love something so much, you want it to stay completely unique and be one of a kind.

What I was afraid of the most is that Fahrenheit 32 would not be related to the original in any way expect for the name. And, comparing the notes, you'd see why that was my fear. First seconds of it on my skin made me think that I am indeed meeting a complete stranger, an impostor. The scent was freshly-floral, sweet and milky. I didn't know this fragrance, I didn't want to know it, I was going to wash it off and forget about its existence. Luckily, I decided to grin and bear and see how the story ends. Reader, it has a happy ending. Just when I thought that Fahrenheit 32 would have nothing but cheerful "solar" notes, it showed some character. The easy, breezy, beautiful outer layer of orange blossom was hiding a dark, leathery core of Fahrenheit, and when the citrusy, white-floral top notes dissipated, it was as if a mask was taken off revealing the familiar face. The fresh feel is maintained throughout the development of the scent, but it is not the annoying sporty freshness without depth or substance. The warmth and the woody-tarry smokiness of Fahrenheit is still there. What the creators cleverly done to turn the cold-weather Fahrenheit into a perfume for summer, is to replace the buttery, powdery violets with the airy creaminess of orange blossom, thus keeping the floral part which was what made Fahrenheit unique in the first place.

Fahrenheit 32 is Fahrenheit dressed in white, relaxing in the sun somewhere wonderful by the warm sea... And it makes me happy to imagine him like that.

Available at Sephora, $48.00-$66.00.

Image source, alamy.com.

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

Blogger elle said...

I love happy endings! I will have to give 32 a try. And I'd like to be dressed in white and transported to some wonderful warm, sunny beach when I do. :-)

10:12 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

I don't know much, but I know that you loved him, and that dear one, is very very good. And very lucky for him, whomever he was in this life or perhaps the next.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

12:31 AM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

Tempting. Fahrenheit was my partner's first grown-up scent, although we had long been together (since our sophomore year in high school, actually). When we were newlyweds, he wore it and smelled delicious. Happy memories, and I will point him toward 32. Thank you!

1:44 AM EDT  
Blogger Alyssa said...

I think it is high time that I sniffed both of these!

Lovely review -- and nice to have two in a row from you, M.

And I love the new look!

6:34 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I would love that too.

6:45 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Beth,
I don't know if lucky for him, but definitely for me. Thank you!

6:47 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Linda,
It made me so happy to read your comment.:-)

6:49 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Alyssa,
The regular oen is dark and has violets. 'Nuff said :-)

6:50 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband wore Fahrenheit to our first date and I was so ga-ga for it I went to the mall the next day just to get another whiff of it. They sprayed it on a strip and I walked around the rest of the mall with the strip stuck to my nose! It is still my favorite on him... BUT sometimes, here in Florida the scent is just too much. So when this came out I ran to get it. And even though the top notes are sunny, the drydown ain't that different than the original. I hope they make it forever.
Kayliana

6:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Kayliana,
I remember that you said you husband wore it. :-) And I am glad that you get the similarity too. It means it's not just my wishful thinking.

6:54 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Hmmm. ... this sounds lovely, like your memories. Must try. I wonder if Mr. Lily would like it. . .

7:09 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
I think Mr Lily, with his affection for "veticuir" should love the original one :-)

7:11 AM EDT  
Blogger Alyssa said...

:-)

!

XOX

7:43 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

:-D XOXO right back

7:48 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M, I agree that Fahrenheit has not changed that much. I also remember this fragrance well, and I have a bunch of bottles from various years. The current one is very good indeed.

Vika

8:27 AM EDT  
Blogger Robert said...

Thank you for the review. I have had this one on my to sniff list for a while. I am going to make the effort this weekend. The temps are rising and I need (ha--I "need" nothing scent related)some new hot weather scents.

10:47 AM EDT  
Blogger Denise said...

Yay! Finally something at Sephora that I can look forward to sniffing.

12:47 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about this being a cold-weather scent. Don't get me wrong- it does work beautifully in winter. But on the other hand, I like wearing it on warm, dry days. It just seems to work with the grassy petrol notes that I love in it. I wore Fahrenheit exclusively while I was in Iraq last year and I don't regret my choice. Anything else would have been... artificial? Immature? All I know is that I love Fahrenheit :)


-b

5:08 PM EDT  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Nice review Marina! I love the spring/summer look by the way! Fabulous. :-)

7:11 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Vika,
I am so glad that you also think that it didn't change that much!

8:51 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Monkey,
I "need" nothing either perfume-wise. But I "want" a couple of things :-)

8:52 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Denise,
I love men's wall in Sephora, lots of great discoveries there every time I go.

8:52 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

B,
It is great to hear that it served you well when you were serving (?).

8:53 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tamara,
Thank you! :-)

8:53 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Lovely review! I must try this one soon. I adore the original Fahrenheit to no end, and the idea of a "beachy" or summer verion is enticing!

2:51 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna
It has a nice white floral note, I think you will like it.

2:57 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home