Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Perfume Review: Montale Aoud Red Flowers

If Lipstick Rose had a fling with an aoud scent, the result of the fling would have been a scent with its papa's exotic coloring and its mama's very French, very feminine and very chic disposition. This Beauty-and-the-Beast offspring would have been named Aoud Red Flowers.

Montale have already (successfully) attempted to marry Europe and Orient in Aoud Flowers, which blended aoud with tuberose. Aoud Red Flowers mixes aoud with marigolds (I am assuming, red marigolds and, inevitably, roses, also red). For the life of me I cannot remember the smell of marigolds, I can only say that in this particular fragrance the floral accord seems to be bright, not particularly sweet, with just enough powderiness to evoke lipsticks and foundations and all things classically feminine, retro and refined. I cannot smell the declared saffron at all, but it might be this golden spice that contributes to the dazzling brightness of the floral accord and enhances the broody exoticism of the aoud.

This is a non-aggressive aoud for those who are still a little scared of aouds and a moderately powdery floral for those who want some but not too much powder. Or a great new scent for those who like their exotic scents to have a classic feel and for their classics to have an exotic twist.

Available at Luckyscent and Aedes, $150.00-$210.00

The image is by Annie Leibovitz.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger tmp00 said...

If this is half as gorgeous as that photo it's a keeper..

10:14 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Oh, I love the scent of Marigold - Marina, if you know the Niki de Saint Phalle scent there is marigold in it, sharp and quite the opposite of sweet. What a perfect pairing with aoud! I can't wait to try this one.

1:56 AM EDT  
Blogger Gail S said...

Like Flora said, marigold smells rather sharp and astringent, not typically "floral". I'm very interested to smell this and have a sample coming any day now! I quite like Sunset Flowers, which I've described as sharp and powdery at the same time, perhaps this is in the same vein?

6:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
This was such a great shoot, I have it all saved :-)

7:03 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
Oh I see, yes, I can definitely smell that there then, only not as sharp.

7:04 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Gail,
I know I tried Sunset Flowers but can't remember it. I think this one is somewhat along different lines.

7:05 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like one I need in my collection! Although I'm not afraid of oud or powder, I don't like too much of either one, and your description is lovely.

And that photo is mesmerizing. Which leads me to a favor I'd like to ask: I've been looking for a way to find a copy or buy a print from her Amex celebrity series (remember those?), and I haven't been able to find out how to do it. Any suggestions? TIA!

12:40 PM EDT  
Blogger parisa said...

Wow, I promised no more aouds but this sounds divine!! Lipstick Rose is the closest thing to HG for me and adding a touch of aoud would be perfection in a bottle. I see a FB coming my way and soon ;-).

5:10 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ann,
I wish I could help, sorry! :-(

9:29 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Parisa,
What if I imagined the similarity with LR, which I just love-love? try a sample first, please :-)

9:29 PM EDT  
Anonymous Send Flowers To kuwait said...

I love flowers........
I really liked your article. Keep up the good work.

5:01 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home