Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Liz Zorn Sinti

By Tom

If you had asked me a few years ago I would have sworn up and down that I didn't like perfume oils or "natural" perfumes. I would have protested on a stack of Bibles (or perhaps better for me, a stack of Cooks Illustrateds) that they aren't well made as regular scents and make snarky remarks about "natural". As in "snake venom's natural, honey"

Of course, then I started running into people who actually make natural perfumes and perfume oils. Like Roxana Villa or Alexis Karl (whose scents I will be reviewing soon) or Vero Kern or Liz Zorn.

I'll be ordering my words for dinner, thanks. Sauteed with butter and garlic and a side of crow..

Marina loved her Grand Canyon, which reads as right up my Stetson, but roses?

Sinti is written of on her website as her most popular rose, and I can see why. It is rose, but not the rose in an English garden or the vase of cabbage roses in the library- not that there's anything wrong with that. Galbanum, clary sage and citrus at first mask, then buttress the gorgeous wild-smelling Moroccan rose. These roses smell as if no-one had ever tended them, that they've gone back to some earlier, hardier breed, more deeply scented. It stays wonderfully close to the skin in that "lean in and smell me baby" that makes one want to, well, lean in and smell. While gorgeous on a woman, the sagey-galbanum part of it keeps it butch enough that a guy could pull it off easily as well.

I can't wait to sample some of the rest of these; I have to apologize to the person who sent me the sample, I can't remember who did!

Liz Zorn's perfumes are available at her website

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

Tom, I am convinced! Wild Moroccan roses? Oh, yeah!

1:04 AM EST  
Blogger Perfumeshrine said...

Tom,

it's great to see praise on Liz's scents which I am planning on reviewing as well (a friend sent me various samples, interested to hear my thoughts).

Just a tiny little comment: Vero Kern does use a few aromachemicals in her compositions, based on our communication on those issues ~for instance the muguet note in Onda by Lilial. (which doesn't diminish from the beauty of her creations or the natural essences she uses, of course)

4:51 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

I think this one might be prefect for you!

11:32 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Helg-

It must be my poor writing skills- I never meant to infer that all of Vero's scents were all-natural, just that they're oils. I was just mentioning a general sea-change in how I view scents.

I do look forward to trying more of Liz Zorn's creations; since my thoughts are of interest perhaps only to me, I guess I'll have to buy them from her site. ;-)

11:38 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

Is there an extra place at that table? I'm certainly eating crow these days when it comes to what I've felt in the past about natural perfumes. I've always loved the SIPs, but was *sure* I couldn't wear any of the rest. Cough, choke...so not true. I started by ordering some of Ayala's scents since I so loved her blog - discovered I also really love her perfumes. Her Vetiver Racinettes is quite possibly my favorite vetiver of all time and her recent Sahleb is beyond genius as a comfort scent. But I digress. Grand Canyon sounds stunning. I've tried a few of Liz Zorn's other scents and have been extremely impressed w/ them. Sinti is next on my list.

1:53 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle- thanks!

I am taking notes!

3:09 PM EST  
Blogger Esri Rose said...

See, I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. For years, I only wore natural perfumes, because everything I tried at a department store either smelled like nail-polish remover, baby-powder or something cheap from Avon.

I think you just have to find the good stuff in both categories.

One thing I hoped to encounter when I started finding good commercial perfumes was longer lasting time. Sadly, I haven't gotten over two hours yet. But I'm still in the beginning stages.

6:32 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, just like you, I used to think perfume oils were a little boring and not as good as regular scents. Of course I was wrong. I became intrigued by those tiny aluminum bottles that contain the Bruno Acampora oils, smelled all of them on my skin, liked every single one, fell in love and bought Sballo. It's deep, complex and powerful, with amazing longevity and on my skin it dries down to the only violet scent I'm comfortable with.

7:10 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Esri Rose-

Well said!

There are definite lines that are famously long-lasting- Lutens for instance. Malle and le labo too.

What naturals do you like? You should write a post- I'd love te read about your adventures in perfume-land!

10:02 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Edwardian-

I tried the Bruno Musc and thought it was fantastic- I have to go back and try the rest. I also need lotto winnings or David Geffen to adopt me, because boy that could be a pricey habit!

10:06 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very interesting post. I am a bit hesitant when it comes to natural scents/oils but not sure why. I have tried Aftlier's perfume and like it very much. Sinti also sounds beautiful. I'm anxious to read more about this!!!! Thanks--Jen

4:24 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Jen- Sinti is beautiful. I've really changed my mind about oils.

I can only state that I was scared by those awful headshoppy ones

11:45 AM EST  
Blogger March said...

Hey, Tom -- chiming in to say I've sampled a fair number of LZs at this point and I would probably describe most of what she does (anything that doesn't sound reekingly feminine) as unisex. The development is interesting -- they often start off a little harsh and then twist in a completely unexpected direction.

7:43 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

I'm looking forward to trying more of them!

11:42 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently ordered several samples from Liz out of curiosity and was very pleased with them. I highly recommend sampling Moroccan Orange and Solstice.

3:27 PM EST  
Blogger Tania said...

I like her 'Underworld' the best, but then, I haven't tried a Zorn scent yet that I didn't like. You are going to enjoy sampling her scents, I'm sure.

2:10 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home